T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Not from a modification/maximum torque perspective, but from a durability/longevity perspective?

Between my bad driving skills and 5k clutch drops, I beat the shit out of my A4 2.0T Quattro's 6MT, but made it to 100k on the original with no sign of failure

In comparison to that, how does the Honda clutch hold up?

Given everything remains stock.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
I think that is a difficult question. These cars use dual mass flywheels which i am unsure how that effects clutch life. But depending how you drive and how you commute and I dont see why the clutch can't last for 200K. I have a 99 Si with an original clutch (over 200k currently) and it still locks up perfect in every gear, no slip. Still original hydraulic fluid in the slave cylinder too.

From what i have read, i dont like the dual mass. I know our Duramax guys always had to change them back when they offered manuals. I would have preferred a standard solid flywheel.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
On the Mazda, the factory service manual instructed techs to manually sand down any burnishes on the DMF (according to a few knowledgeable heads). Not sure if the Civic's is the same. But I do know the DMF greatly reduces vibes in the cabin. Going to an SMF will make cold starts a bit tougher with the inability to hold revs under light to moderate throttle.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I think that is a difficult question. These cars use dual mass flywheels which i am unsure how that effects clutch life. But depending how you drive and how you commute and I dont see why the clutch can't last for 200K. I have a 99 Si with an original clutch (over 200k currently) and it still locks up perfect in every gear, no slip. Still original hydraulic fluid in the slave cylinder too.

From what i have read, i dont like the dual mass. I know our Duramax guys always had to change them back when they offered manuals. I would have preferred a standard solid flywheel.
I thought the Si had a single mass flywheel? My buddy's Fiesta ST has a dual flywheel and so when he upshifts the RPMs tend to hang and not drop all the way down. I had thought it was some cool auto rev match feature but read it was due to a heavier flywheel.

Edit:
Whoops never mind! Procivic confirmed that it was dual mass flywheel.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the Si had a single mass flywheel? My buddy's Fiesta ST has a dual flywheel and so when he upshifts the RPMs tend to hang and not drop all the way down. I had thought it was some cool auto rev match feature but read it was due to a heavier flywheel.
Honda originally released documentation listing a SMF but they ended up shipping with a dual mass unit and have updated the parts guides.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I've been getting burning smells every now and then. I don't remember this happening to my other manual cars when I first got it. Are you guys getting that smell from your clutch? Spirited driving, but not abused.

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been getting burning smells every now and then. I don't remember this happening to my other manual cars when I first got it. Are you guys getting that smell from your clutch? Spirited driving, but not abused.
Nope

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got a little after a 30 minute bumper to bumper traffic situation.

Those kind of prompted my thread

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Frequent clutch dumps at high rpms would definitely guarantee a shorter clutch life, how short? Nobody knows. But other than that you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I tend to have a bad habit of riding the clutch a bit too long during stop and go traffic, but these clutches are designed to take a beating and should withstand the everyday driving bad habits.

Stealthy86

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
2/4 i test drove had a clutch smell after i got out. I've never replaced a clutch in any vehicle i've owned and i've ran them up to 190k. I'm not sure if it's just because they were new or if it's because of the oddly high engagement point.

Could also be brakes as well. *shrugs*

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Next question

Is the Si clutch different than the normal civic clutch, or the same?

How has it been historically in previous generation Si trims?

f23power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jaguar F-TYPE
Overall it's going to depend on your driving styles and environment. I sold My 2007 S2000 had 145k on the factory clutch with countless track days and commuting in Los Angeles with no signs of slipping.

wardt5

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
2/4 i test drove had a clutch smell after i got out. I've never replaced a clutch in any vehicle i've owned and i've ran them up to 190k. I'm not sure if it's just because they were new or if it's because of the oddly high engagement point.

Could also be brakes as well. *shrugs*
I have about 400 miles on my si and I have been having a burning smell every now and again. I do not drive it hard (yet) because I am still breaking it in. I have had manual cars before, so I am assuming it is because it is brand new? I have no other ideas as to what it could be.

Bankerbalt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI sedan, 2008 Cobalt
you might also be smelling the new exhaust chemicals burning

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I have about 400 miles on my si and I have been having a burning smell every now and again. I do not drive it hard (yet) because I am still breaking it in. I have had manual cars before, so I am assuming it is because it is brand new? I have no other ideas as to what it could be.
Could easily be lubricants or oils that got on the outside of the engine during manufacturing.
Sponsored