First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 39 and traded my ext in for my SI. As mentioned, there is really no other option for a driving enthusiast centric car in the price segment.

Wife was skeptical of the spoiler and it looking teenageish, but now that I got my cosmetic work done she has done a 180.

I looked at a GTI, but it's overpriced and way way way over engineered. So many unasked for silly options. WRX looked attractive, but to get parity with civic I would have had to climb a price tier. Focus has some nice pull, but looks God awful and my father in law is a tranny tech for Ford and 80% of his workload is warranty focus transmission replacements. (It's so bad at this point they don't even fix them, just rip and replace, send the old one to the engineering group to try and solve the huge failure rate).
Sponsored

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
well im a couple years from 40 so heres my opinion.

when i first got into hondas it was the late 90s. i was a teenager, and back then the honda modding scene was new and exciting. we didnt have stupid shit like fb or snapchat or whatever the fuck else ppl do to waste their lives with these days. we had eachother. it was like an underground scene back then.

there was strong comradary (sic) among us. life was more real back then. some of us didnt even have the internet back then. life was, i hate to say this cliche, a totally different world back then. ppl were less shallow. there was no selfie culture, things were more natural because our lives disnt revolve around the internet and electronic devices.

we had cell phones that did only 2 things: make calls and receive them. when we would meetup it was all about being social and having fun together. it wasnt about pulling out a camera (phone) and making vlogs for a video sharing website. none of that shit existed.

it was so simple back then, yet so much more real and fun.it life felt special in those days. you got more excited about things because there was no instant gratification with anything. even when ordering performance parts you would have to order from magazines or very primitive early websites.

we appreciated eachother more. life was more than just a girl posting a selfie to get likes. it was more than electronic devices that you had your eyes glued to 24 7 to update a "status".if you wanted to talk to someone you actually CALLED them, or just showed up at their place to see whats up.

i miss those years a lot, i think about them almost everyday.

so not matter what age you are, if you love hondas then one thing will always remain constant through the years--your passion for driving them.

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Damn it’s good to see the older crowd are into the Si. I’m only 23 and came from a mustang gt but i can totally see people of any age enjoying this car.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I don't think age matters for this Si. It doesn't scream "civic", "compact" or "ricer", it's just a very nice looking, sporty car that intrigues people enough to make you feel good. From what I can tell, when I see people stare at my car in the parking lot they're trying to figure out what it is. They see the Honda emblem but they don't know if it's a Civic or Accord or some new model of sports car. Heck, I was considering a Kia Soul before this Si fell into my lap. My only stipulation on the Soul was to get it in a dark color, either black or grey..I don't think very many people would think a 52 year old man looks bad driving either a Si or a dark colored Soul..especially with the right looking wheels!

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well im a couple years from 40 so heres my opinion.

when i first got into hondas it was the late 90s. i was a teenager, and back then the honda modding scene was new and exciting. we didnt have stupid shit like fb or snapchat or whatever the fuck else ppl do to waste their lives with these days. we had eachother. it was like an underground scene back then.

there was strong comradary (sic) among us. life was more real back then. some of us didnt even have the internet back then. life was, i hate to say this cliche, a totally different world back then. ppl were less shallow. there was no selfie culture, things were more natural because our lives disnt revolve around the internet and electronic devices.

we had cell phones that did only 2 things: make calls and receive them. when we would meetup it was all about being social and having fun together. it wasnt about pulling out a camera (phone) and making vlogs for a video sharing website. none of that shit existed.

it was so simple back then, yet so much more real and fun.it life felt special in those days. you got more excited about things because there was no instant gratification with anything. even when ordering performance parts you would have to order from magazines or very primitive early websites.

we appreciated eachother more. life was more than just a girl posting a selfie to get likes. it was more than electronic devices that you had your eyes glued to 24 7 to update a "status".if you wanted to talk to someone you actually CALLED them, or just showed up at their place to see whats up.

i miss those years a lot, i think about them almost everyday.

so not matter what age you are, if you love hondas then one thing will always remain constant through the years--your passion for driving them.
TLDR; even grumpy (sort of) old dudes can drive an Si. (Said by fellow grumpy sort of old dude :))

Last edited:

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There really is no such thing as too old. I'm 67 and just last year I sold my 2003 EP3 (my 3rd Si which I loved and still do) and bought a new Lunar Silver Metallic Civic Sport 6M, only because the Si isn't a hatchback anymore and I really love the utility of a hatch. I love the 4D-hatch but the Si is still a fantastic car for anyone at any age! (so is my new hatch ;-)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The funny thing is, this car appeals to an older demographic just as much as the younger crowd. According to JD Power, the average age of a typical Civic owner is 50 with a median household income of $75,000. The model has definitely moved more upscale in recent years (particularly the 10th Gen).

YoshiExcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I am nearing 40 and got a 2017 red Si Coupe. Sure I have those days when I feel that maybe I'm too old for this car, but if I'm being honest, I was never able to afford a sports car before. I was always a huge fan of the sports cars of the late 90s, early 2000's, but again I was never able to afford what I wanted.

Now I'm at a point in my life where I am better off, I was able to purchase my first home (this was priority) and now was the time where I could purchase what I wanted. I was going to get the WRX since that was my dream car, but at a $10k difference for the version I wanted over the Si, I could not justify it and got the Si.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you're OK with rowing your own gears and you don't reside here...

Honda Civic 10th gen How old is too old to buy an Si? CEM153990_1468233930

The Si has no age limits.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am 71. What is wrong with wanting a light car that handles well and has a good manual transmission? The teenage girl who served me at the window last night at Popeyes told me she like my car.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I don't think age matters for this Si. It doesn't scream "civic", "compact" or "ricer", it's just a very nice looking, sporty car that intrigues people enough to make you feel good. From what I can tell, when I see people stare at my car in the parking lot they're trying to figure out what it is. They see the Honda emblem but they don't know if it's a Civic or Accord or some new model of sports car. Heck, I was considering a Kia Soul before this Si fell into my lap. My only stipulation on the Soul was to get it in a dark color, either black or grey..I don't think very many people would think a 52 year old man looks bad driving either a Si or a dark colored Soul..especially with the right looking wheels!
That's true... I think I get the looks I do because not only is it a good-looking car, but people are trying to figure out WHAT kind of car it is. I also installed an Injen CAI kit (opted for the full CAI, not SRI), and the induction noise of the turbo is a nice, somewhat loud (not not obnoxiously so) hiss that lets people know it's not-your-mom's-Honda-but-perhaps-something-a-little-special Honda.

georgewny

66 Stang / 80 Triumph TR7 Spider
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Shelby GT350H convertible clone (black n gold), '07 Honda Odyssey EX (blue), '11 BMW 335IX (diamond sapphire black), '14 Mercedes C300 Pearl White, '16 Honda Civic EX w Sensing (rallye red)
Well, 60 yrs young here...
And a few years back, we leased a '16 Civic EX with Honda Sense for our daughter to give her a dependable fun car while in college. And we have taken a liking to the looks/shape/ride of the Civic, which we take for a spin while she is home from college (and leave the BMW, Mercedes and Mustang in the garage!!!) .
And I've always liked Honda engineering, it's top notch at an affordable price (though I wish the NSX was "affordable").
So past few weeks have been searching to buy the top dawg of the Civic line, the Type R... and as turns out, a dealership (Nardy Honda) a few miles from my home has 3 IN STOCK!!!... but upon inquiring seems they want 4K over sticker... Bummer!!!
I absolutely refuse to pay over MSRP for any car. So will continue my search for a Type R at sticker, if that is at all possible.
If not the Si is next up to bat. Sure looks to be a lot of fun for not many greenbacks. If it came in a convertible, we'd have one in our garage this afternoon.
But to go with the flow of this thread. I do not feel age is as important an issue as desire for a fun good looking car.
Case in point. We have a '66 Mustang Convertible, and that car appeals to all ages from the pre-teens to the upper limits of the human life span! So it's not a age group thing... it's more of a life style or love of things that bring you fun and enjoyment.
The fact that the Si and Type R only come with sticks, just adds to the appeal. You actually have to drive it! and that my friends is where the fun starts! Where you go after that just adds to the ambiance!
Sponsored

Last edited: