How old is too old to buy a Type R? (FK8)

How old is too old to buy a Type R (FK8)

• Total voters

06S2k07Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 S2000 22 RDX 13 CB1000R 22 Veloster N 18 Type R
Country flag
Hey...I'll be honest with you, I think it's a bit too boy racer myself...but then I realized that it's the driving experience that matters most...I'll be 45 in less than a week and I just picked up mine last Thursday. Like my dad tried to teach me long ago...stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and do what YOU want! Get one! You won't regret it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
fk-eight

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Hey...I'll be honest with you, I think it's a bit too boy racer myself...but then I realized that it's the driving experience that matters most...I'll be 45 in less than a week and I just picked up mine last Thursday. Like my dad tried to teach me long ago...stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and do what YOU want! Get one! You won't regret it!
Very True!!

People generally suck anyway, so screw 'em. I'll probably be 40 by the time this comes out, but I would happily park it next to all of the BMW's and Mercedes at the office.

https://jalopnik.com/the-subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept-probably-isnt-1822024873
They do, and thats a good looking car!

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am planning to ride a STI with a giant wing or a modified Corvette to work when I am 50. You will never be too old. I love the idea since you probably will treat the car better than most kids.

Last edited:

OP
OP
fk-eight

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am planning to ride a STI with a giant wing or a modified Corvette to work when I am 50. You will never be too told. I love the idea since you probably will treat the car better than most kids.
I’ve been looking at Corvettes. I’ve also been looking at M4s. The M550i actually has my attention. I’d need to wear a suit and tie just to drive that thing.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I’ve been looking at Corvettes. I’ve also been looking at M4s. The M550i actually has my attention. I’d need to wear a suit and tie just to drive that thing.
I suggest checking out ATS-V and CTS-V, since no one buy them. It will be uncommon.

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m in a dilemma. Am I just too old to buy a Type R? Is it too boy racer? A few years over 40.
I'm 61 yrs old,..have 2018 Type R,..then again, I play Mario Kart on the Switch a lot, so the Type R just seemed like a natural. Turns out I was right!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This isn't very old. It's a poll of ages of R owners on the site.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-ctr-owners-whats-your-age.13112/

None it matters however. If you want it and have worked hard and have to means to have it without wrecking yourself/family by doing it... why not. If it makes you happy... then the ~$5-15k over the cost of the other trims of Civic absolutely buys happiness.

Last edited:

OP
OP
fk-eight

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I suggest checking out ATS-V and CTS-V, since no one buy them. It will be uncommon.
Very interested in both. I was even telling myself that I want to get an ATS-V. Then a friend got a CTS-V and Im jealous. He lives too far away for me to just run over there, and take a ride in it, but Im looking for something with a real dual clutch, or a manual. The only cars Id be interested in a manual, in, would be a Vette, and a Type R.

Highly suggest a dodge viper acr.
Ive never even looked at one. Ill have to check it out.

I'm 61 yrs old,..have 2018 Type R,..then again, I play Mario Kart on the Switch a lot, so the Type R just seemed like a natural. Turns out I was right!
61, wow. Well, there you go. Age isnt a factor. Its sort of a unicorn car, for me. I grew up looking at Options Auto Salon Magazines, wishing I had an R33-R34. And thats back when they were new.

This isn't very old. It's a poll of ages of R owners on the site.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-ctr-owners-whats-your-age.13112/

None it matters however. If you want it and have worked hard and have to means to have it without wrecking yourself/family by doing it... why not. If it makes you happy... then the ~$5-15k over the cost of the other trims of Civic absolutely buys happiness.
It will definitely buy happiness, but for a $599 a month lease, you can have a Porsche Cayman. Like the Type R, it wouldnt be a daily driver, anyway. I have other cars for that.

As my mom use to say "First thing in the morning I check the Obit page in the paper. If I'm not listed then I'm good to go!"
Thats awesome!!! Haha!!

OP
OP
fk-eight

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm 52 and ended up in an SI. I wanted an R but wouldn't pay ADM. My 80 year old father bought a 124 Abarth Spyder with a manual last year.
Im with you. I’m not willing to pay ADM. It’s just not worth burying yourself in a car that may eventually be mass produced, effectively dropping its value. The Honda dealerships swore up and down that the S2000 was only going to be made as a “Honda Millennium Car.” Pffft Honda made 111,000 cars over a 10 year production run. Effectively making your $10,000 ADM, worthless.

I’m almost glad there was an ADM on the CTR. It caused me to not impulse buy. Which is what I would have done if it was available within a week of me deciding to get one. I kind of have my eye on other cars, currently. M4, 718 Cayman, etc.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
You are never too old.
Two years ago I sold my Ariel Atom, at age 52.
Plan on getting a 2019 Type R as my only car, I mean it can do everything, on track, hold 4 people comfortably, massive boot, great daily driver, fair mileage.
Sponsored