SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Winter fuel blend.
They have that crap in Illinois??
I thought the "Summer and Winter" fuel blend was only a Peoples Republik of Kalifornia thing??
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Do you have a 1.5T btw? Any fuel dilution?
yes 1.5T ... had my first oil change @ 5K miles, no issues whatsoever. put in 0W-20 Full Synthetic with premium gas - runs like a dream.

it is mildly annoying at times, but I basically turn any trip into a 10+ minute drive just to eliminate frequent cold starts/stops. about 1x per week I'll go for a 30+ minute cruise and let it rip in Sport mode then cool down around town ... taken it on a few 3+ hour road trips as well, no issues whatsoever.

the 1.5T needs to be babied a little bit, but I don't mind since it literally gives me 40MPG when I want it to - and a fun "driving experience" when I want it to. It's paid off, I'll keep it for 5 years/warranty and re-evaluate accordingly. I've had fancy/expensive cars before, after 2 test drives I couldn't believe this car was only 22K so I bought it (originally planned on leasing).

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
yes 1.5T ... had my first oil change @ 5K miles, no issues whatsoever. put in 0W-20 Full Synthetic with premium gas - runs like a dream.
Say Rraayy....what part of the country do you live?
Some reports of the fuel dilution say it's much worse in the cold climates??

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Say Rraayy....what part of the country do you live?
Some reports of the fuel dilution say it's much worse in the cold climates??
I bought this car last year ... right before a spell of winter that included a 2 week period with temperatures never going above freezing. i literally felt bad for my car at night.

trust me, i was furious about this issue initially as I went the Honda route for reliability/practicality first. Hatch Sport gave me the MPG, roominess, fun, safety I wanted with a great price tag. i feel like the "issue" is severely overblown and caused by frequent short trips in extreme conditions - which i actively avoid.

Like I said before, I'll keep for 5 years/warranty and re-evaluate. No issues = I'll keep it for a decade. Issues = thanks warranty, trade in @ year 5 as down payment for next car.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
They have that crap in Illinois??
I thought the "Summer and Winter" fuel blend was only a Peoples Republik of Kalifornia thing??
Here in PA it is winter blend (10% ethanol) all year round in all grades of gas.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
A lot of places use "winter gas" with up to 10% ethanol which reduces your mileage. I also let it warm up with remote start if there is frost or ice on the windshield. That doesn't help my mileage either.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT can handle all that power? curious cause I have one too.
Ktuner has day 1 testers still running the starter 21 tunes over 2 years now with no issues. OF course the more you beat on something the less life it may have, but I wont own this car in 5 years so it doesnt bother me too much.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I walk to work. I might make a short trip or two after work to local places when I get home.

The longest trips I take now are when I go to my mom's on the weekend or something (about an hour drive) or if I go to the area I used to live because I still have friends and such there (again about an hour drive).

I don't red-line it though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
CVT can handle all that power? curious cause I have one too.
I remember a comment from JR (Ktuner guru) who said he tried his best to beat on the CVT in his testing and it took a licking and kept on ticking.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I take it up to ~6k rpm probably on average about once per day... But I've only seen the lights flash at me a handful of times and bounced it off the rev limiter pretty good one time.

Jukeboxx13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Country flag
Ktuner has day 1 testers still running the starter 21 tunes over 2 years now with no issues. OF course the more you beat on something the less life it may have, but I wont own this car in 5 years so it doesnt bother me too much.

Hondata put out a video and showed that too much power caused scoring on the cvt. I'm conflicted as I want more power but also plan on keeping this car for the next 10 years. Maybe I can just run the lowest setting.
Sponsored