How often do you use Sport Mode?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe in MSM
Hey,

I don't know much about engines, so I've been researching if there's any negatives to utilizing the Sport Mode regularly.

I've read a bunch of Bimmer forums, and opinions vary (either yes, overwear on engine etc to no, and some even say that barring the gas consumption, a lot of people use it exclusively as they prefer it).

I figure it's there to be used, right? :)
I am a somewhat (cough) aggressive driver and I'm working on that, I swear. But gas mileage is almost a non-issue for me as I have a literal 5 minute drive to work (I have to drive as it's 35 minute walk and I work night shifts and stop judging me, it's for safety dammit). So when I get a chance to actually go on a drive, I find myself using the Sport Mode a lot.

Just wondering if/when/where you use Sport Mode, and how often?
Sponsored

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Only issue I see is driving really aggressive before the oil is warm. Seeing that you are in Canada, do you let your vehicles run for several minutes in the winter/spring before driving it?
I use sport mode when merging onto a highway and need to get in

OP
OP
Little Miss MSM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe in MSM
I'm from Vancouver and it's really mild here. My car is also garaged both at work and at home. I also don't let my engine run because I've heard that it's generally unnecessary.

Hmm, you only use Sport when merging? I really enjoy using it when I have any open road :)

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Sport mode on a BMW and sport mode on a CivicX are two totally different things.

To explain it as simply as possible, the S and L positions on the CVT in the Civic work by increasing the idle RPM of the engine, so that power can be sent to the transmission faster. The result is that the engine, instead of rising and falling in RPM like you'd expect, just sits at a relatively high RPM all the time. This makes for a marginally more responsive ride, but is incredibly noisy and guzzles gas even more than what you'd expect (since you're essentially telling the engine to floor it at all times).

I never use it. It's just not necessary; it doesn't actually give you any better top speed and only gives you fractions of a second better acceleration.

OP
OP
Little Miss MSM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe in MSM
Sport mode on a BMW and sport mode on a CivicX are two totally different things.

To explain it as simply as possible, the S and L positions on the CVT in the Civic work by increasing the idle RPM of the engine, so that power can be sent to the transmission faster. The result is that the engine, instead of rising and falling in RPM like you'd expect, just sits at a relatively high RPM all the time. This makes for a marginally more responsive ride, but is incredibly noisy and guzzles gas even more than what you'd expect (since you're essentially telling the engine to floor it at all times).

I never use it. It's just not necessary; it doesn't actually give you any better top speed and only gives you fractions of a second better acceleration.

Noted in regards to Beemers and Civics being very different animals, just a reference I used.
Your explanation itself makes complete sense. I was just curious how other drivers utilized it.
The tiny turbo lag when I try to get going seems offset when I use Sport Mode, and I like that. Just my experience. Thanks!

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
I only use it if I'm going on the highway (merging, passing), or late night drives. Vancouver traffic rarely gives the opportunity for any boost to kick in.
On my 328i sport mode sharpens up throttle response and shifts at higher RPMs (keeps boost going and drinks fuel), as well as disabling coasting. As far as I can tell the Civic sport mode just keeps >2k RPM to engage the boost (CVT -_-). As long as you're not redlining the engine cold the extra wear shouldn't be too bad.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find its really not needed for normal driving. I've only used it in the mountains and if I'm feeling kinda randy.

This CVT is tuned really well. I can occ. get it to "downshift" to a lower ratio if I'm braking before a turn, come out of the corner, you're already in the power. All this in D.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I have a 328i, and sport mode there affects a lot - gearing, torque, and suspension. Absolutely nothing close in my Civic 10 Coupe with Touring.

The only time I use "S" in my Civic is to prevent braking going down hills (we have a lot of them in Pennsylvania!)

OP
OP
Little Miss MSM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Coupe in MSM
Thanks for the input guys! Guess I'm just the outlier, lol. :thumbsup:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really only use it if im giving someone a ride, or if I would race somebody, which really hasn't happened, bummer. But I think it really improves acceleration, imo.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use it in areas with lots of downhill slopes and hills because of the greater engine braking effect, especially if there's a really low speed limit and I don't feel like riding on my brakes the entire time.

Otherwise, I keep it in D. There's a lot of vibration and noise in S mode which I find gets kind of annoying after awhile. Even when I'm passing people on 2 lane roads, I just keep it in D, i find the responsiveness to be good enough.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed that the transmission is a lot more jerky when in sport mode. I just usually put my foot to the floor and it's enough to get me going.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm from Vancouver and it's really mild here. My car is also garaged both at work and at home. I also don't let my engine run because I've heard that it's generally unnecessary.

Hmm, you only use Sport when merging? I really enjoy using it when I have any open road :)
The "monsoon" weather here is no joke

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,

I don't know much about engines, so I've been researching if there's any negatives to utilizing the Sport Mode regularly.

I've read a bunch of Bimmer forums, and opinions vary (either yes, overwear on engine etc to no, and some even say that barring the gas consumption, a lot of people use it exclusively as they prefer it).

I figure it's there to be used, right? :)
I am a somewhat (cough) aggressive driver and I'm working on that, I swear. But gas mileage is almost a non-issue for me as I have a literal 5 minute drive to work (I have to drive as it's 35 minute walk and I work night shifts and stop judging me, it's for safety dammit). So when I get a chance to actually go on a drive, I find myself using the Sport Mode a lot.

Just wondering if/when/where you use Sport Mode, and how often?
One word "Always" Car is much more fun to drive in S if your not really concerned about MPG's

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
If I need to pass someone its so much easier in sport. I use it when I'm late usually lol. If I'm limited by the car in front of me I turn it off. It seems like it keeps the RPMs lower for the speed than what it normally would be. I really doubt it would do anything bad to the engine.
Sponsored