First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
20000 km
Honda Civic 10th gen How my spark plugs seem to you 90cbc29a-09fd-40d4-b517-9fc36493098f
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Looks like a little carbon build up on the ends. Might be running a little rich, but otherwise looks fine to me. Make sure to replace with laser iridium, NGK being a popular and highly reputable spark plug brand. Also it’s what Honda uses straight from the factory.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Seem a bit sooty to me, but it seems that this is common w/ GDI engines, so probably nothing to be concerned about.

OP
OP

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
I have already changed and taken them from PRL
Laser Iridium Spark Plug ILZKAR8H8S Heat Range 8

I do a lot of small moves before, perhaps for this reason

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check the gap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

My car started showing the signs of engine hesitation and jerking out of the blue yesterday. Due to this Covid19 outbreak, I am working from home and I didn't drive my 2016 Civic LX 2.0l (Automatic transmission with 10,2000 kms on it) for a few days. But yesterday, I decided to go outside to buy a few things and all of a sudden my car started showing signs of engine hesitation while driving in the city at 50-60 Km/hr speed. It was hesitating more while accelerating. Then I decided to go on a highway just to check what is happening. While I was speeding up and try to merge on the highway, my car started jerking frequently. After then, I decided to come home and not to drive.

This morning I tried to give it a second shot before calling the dealership, I went for a short drive around my neighbourhood, It showed little signs of engine hesitation. Things got worse when I pulled up on my driveway. The Check Engine light came on along with all different kinds of warning signs on the dash.

It shows..
1. Emission System Problem
2. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
3. Hill Start Assist Problem
4. Power Steering System Problem (EPS)
5. Brake System Problem
6. Brake Hold System Problem

The car jerks every few seconds while in the Drive mode or on Reverse mode but with the brakes on. The jerks are noticeable. Car stops jerking while in Parking mode.

Any suggestions guys? What could possibly the issue? Did anyone have the same experience? Is there any vehicle recalls related to this in Canada or the USA? Is it the engine misfire due to worn out spark plugs or timing belt or dirt or debris in the fuel tank? Could it be water in the fuel tank due to high ethanol content in gas? I did fill up my gas tank at Costco for a cheaper price at $0.58 cents a litre due to this outbreak.

Thanks,

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

My car started showing the signs of engine hesitation and jerking out of the blue yesterday. Due to this Covid19 outbreak, I am working from home and I didn't drive my 2016 Civic LX 2.0l (Automatic transmission with 10,2000 kms on it) for a few days. But yesterday, I decided to go outside to buy a few things and all of a sudden my car started showing signs of engine hesitation while driving in the city at 50-60 Km/hr speed. It was hesitating more while accelerating. Then I decided to go on a highway just to check what is happening. While I was speeding up and try to merge on the highway, my car started jerking frequently. After then, I decided to come home and not to drive.

This morning I tried to give it a second shot before calling the dealership, I went for a short drive around my neighbourhood, It showed little signs of engine hesitation. Things got worse when I pulled up on my driveway. The Check Engine light came on along with all different kinds of warning signs on the dash.

It shows..
1. Emission System Problem
2. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
3. Hill Start Assist Problem
4. Power Steering System Problem (EPS)
5. Brake System Problem
6. Brake Hold System Problem

The car jerks every few seconds while in the Drive mode or on Reverse mode but with the brakes on. The jerks are noticeable. Car stops jerking while in Parking mode.

Any suggestions guys? What could possibly the issue? Did anyone have the same experience? Is there any vehicle recalls related to this in Canada or the USA? Is it the engine misfire due to worn out spark plugs or timing belt or dirt or debris in the fuel tank? Could it be water in the fuel tank due to high ethanol content in gas? I did fill up my gas tank at Costco for a cheaper price at $0.58 cents a litre due to this outbreak.

Thanks,
Get the code from the check engine light it’ll narrow down what is wrong. Seems like a misfire to me, can be a number things, but with misfires here is my rule of thumb before thinking it’s something more serious.
1. Replace spark plugs (use NGK Laser iridium)
If problem is gone then it’s all good, if problem continues then..
2. Change the ignition coil packs (ex. Check engine code says cylinder 1 has a misfire then you remove the coil pack from cylinder #1 and cylinder #2 and swap them... coil pack #1 goes to cylinder #2 and coil pack #2 goes to cylinder #1). Before starting the car erase the check engine light code. Once the code is erased start the car and go for a drive. If the check engine light returns and you pull the code and now the misfire changed from cyl#1 to cyl#2 then you know it’s the coil pack and have that replaced.

..if the problem remains in cylinder #1 even after changing the spark plug and coil pack then begin to worry it’s something worse. There’s no timing belt in these cars anymore there is a chain now and they’re more durable than the older belts so I highly doubt it’s that. Only belt is the serpentine belt to run the accessories. if your misfiring in all cylinders then yes it can be the timing, but if it’s misfiring in one cylinder after a spark plug change and then my next test would be a compression test to see if it’s able to build compression.. if it builds compression then be happy, if it doesn’t well good luck. If compression is good then my next option would be fuel, check your fuel injectors that it is still functioning. If it’s good I would change fuel. Again this is all a generic answer. Can’t do much without those engine codes to know what is wrong with the car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag
Get the code from the check engine light it’ll narrow down what is wrong. Seems like a misfire to me, can be a number things, but with misfires here is my rule of thumb before thinking it’s something more serious.
1. Replace spark plugs (use NGK Laser iridium)
If problem is gone then it’s all good, if problem continues then..
2. Change the ignition coil packs (ex. Check engine code says cylinder 1 has a misfire then you remove the coil pack from cylinder #1 and cylinder #2 and swap them... coil pack #1 goes to cylinder #2 and coil pack #2 goes to cylinder #1). Before starting the car erase the check engine light code. Once the code is erased start the car and go for a drive. If the check engine light returns and you pull the code and now the misfire changed from cyl#1 to cyl#2 then you know it’s the coil pack and have that replaced.

..if the problem remains in cylinder #1 even after changing the spark plug and coil pack then begin to worry it’s something worse. There’s no timing belt in these cars anymore there is a chain now and they’re more durable than the older belts so I highly doubt it’s that. Only belt is the serpentine belt to run the accessories. if your misfiring in all cylinders then yes it can be the timing, but if it’s misfiring in one cylinder after a spark plug change and then my next test would be a compression test to see if it’s able to build compression.. if it builds compression then be happy, if it doesn’t well good luck. If compression is good then my next option would be fuel, check your fuel injectors that it is still functioning. If it’s good I would change fuel. Again this is all a generic answer. Can’t do much without those engine codes to know what is wrong with the car
Thanks a lot @jayy_swish. I think I would leave this to the experts for now as I am not feeling comfortable doing this on my own. Good thing is I bought Honda 200000 kms/7 yrs extended warranty and I'm at 102600 kms as of now.

Hopefully its covered under warranty. I have an appointment booked on this Thursday 2nd Apr.

One question regarding Civic maintenance minder code 4 (for Canadian Honda). The owner's manual says that all 4 spark plugs should be replaced at 168000 kms and I'm at only 102600 kms. Should sparkplugs along with labour covered under warranty? The extended warranty document doesn't go in much detail.

Thanks

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Thanks a lot @jayy_swish. I think I would leave this to the experts for now as I am not feeling comfortable doing this on my own. Good thing is I bought Honda 200000 kms/7 yrs extended warranty and I'm at 102600 kms as of now.

Hopefully its covered under warranty. I have an appointment booked on this Thursday 2nd Apr.

One question regarding Civic maintenance minder code 4 (for Canadian Honda). The owner's manual says that all 4 spark plugs should be replaced at 168000 kms and I'm at only 102600 kms. Should sparkplugs along with labour covered under warranty? The extended warranty document doesn't go in much detail.

Thanks
AFAIK sparkplugs won't be covered under warranty. It's just something which wears out and a maintenance item
Sponsored