How much to offer for an used 10th gen Si in Canada?

munis

First Name
Munajj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes-AMG C43
Country flag
Hey guys, I am a long time lurker, but new to the Civic SI scene. I have C43 AMG now which is AWD, but I am planning to upgrade to a 2020 C63s very soon, which is RWD. I need a new beater for the winter and daily driving, and I always wanted to own a SI. So I feel like this is the perfect time.

I have gone to the dealerships a couple of times, but some of the prices these dealerships are listing the SIs for is downright ridiculous, even for 2017 models with 50k kms. It just makes more sense to get a new one the way they are pricing these cars.

I used http://www.vmrcanada.com/ to price a used one, but offering a 1000 below the retail price for these cars ( usual guideline is to add 5 to 10 percent to wholesale), these sales guys are looking at me as if I am completely insane.

Also reading these forums for a while, I know almost everyone here is using the hondata or ktuner tune, so if I were to pick up an used one, is there any way I can tell if the previous owner tuned it or not?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hey guys, I am a long time lurker, but new to the Civic SI scene. I have C43 AMG now which is AWD, but I am planning to upgrade to a 2020 C63s very soon, which is RWD. I need a new beater for the winter and daily driving, and I always wanted to own a SI. So I feel like this is the perfect time.

I have gone to the dealerships a couple of times, but some of the prices these dealerships are listing the SIs for is downright ridiculous, even for 2017 models with 50k kms. It just makes more sense to get a new one the way they are pricing these cars.

I used http://www.vmrcanada.com/ to price a used one, but offering a 1000 below the retail price for these cars ( usual guideline is to add 5 to 10 percent to wholesale), these sales guys are looking at me as if I am completely insane.

Also reading these forums for a while, I know almost everyone here is using the hondata or ktuner tune, so if I were to pick up an used one, is there any way I can tell if the previous owner tuned it or not?
The dealership can scan it and see if and how many times the ECU was re-flashed. It leaves a footprint. The dealership may not want to tell you, but I believe they have to if you ask.

edit: meh, ive got nothing to back up these claims. I’ll have to poke around at a dealership to figure it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

munis

First Name
Munajj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes-AMG C43
Country flag
The dealership can scan it and see if and how many times the ECU was re-flashed. It leaves a footprint. The dealership may not want to tell you, but I believe they have to if you ask.
I read that if you flash back to stock using Hondata, it leaves no footprint. Has this been verified that dealerships can catch all form of tunes? I have read a few posts where Honda replaced a few engines under warranty for members who were tuned. Was this from goodwill then?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I read that if you flash back to stock using Hondata, it leaves no footprint. Has this been verified that dealerships can catch all form of tunes? I have read a few posts where Honda replaced a few engines under warranty for members who were tuned. Was this from goodwill then?
I’m not sure. I’ve heard both from people on these forums. I think some dealerships are just oblivious to it or just don’t care to look because they know it will sell.

I have to get my fuel door locking mechanism fixed soon. Ill try asking somebody at the dealership. They may just lie to me and act like they dont know what im talking about.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag

They could find it if they dig deep enough. Not sure about ktune, but if you reflash to stock with hondata all the parameters are stock but the “version #” won’t match an Original Honda ROM version. So yes, they could tell the stock tune isn’t a factory version matched to that specific VIN number. But anytime a dealer reflashes the ECU it will also have a different Version #, unless they update the database to tie the new version to the VIN.
Sponsored