First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've got a 2019 Hatchback Sport Touring with a Borla S-Type Exhaust and I just had a few questions I was hoping to get some information on. In general, I was curious how much power the CVT would be able to handle before I modified my car further. I know I made the mistake of not purchasing a manual, but there's no manual for the sport touring version of the car!

I'm still pretty new to this, but in the future I wanted to add some things like a cool air intake (Injen SP) and the Hondata Flashpro tune to go along with my exhaust. Would these modifications be pushing the limit of the CVT's integrity, especially with the +6 boost tune? I believe I've read that the newer models CVT (2019 for me) hold up better than before.

I just wanted to get some opinions or see if anyone else had tried these things and had success/failure.

Thank you, any responses are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Numero1latino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've got a 2019 Hatchback Sport Touring with a Borla S-Type Exhaust and I just had a few questions I was hoping to get some information on. In general, I was curious how much power the CVT would be able to handle before I modified my car further. I know I made the mistake of not purchasing a manual, but there's no manual for the sport touring version of the car!

I'm still pretty new to this, but in the future I wanted to add some things like a cool air intake (Injen SP) and the Hondata Flashpro tune to go along with my exhaust. Would these modifications be pushing the limit of the CVT's integrity, especially with the +6 boost tune? I believe I've read that the newer models CVT (2019 for me) hold up better than before.

I just wanted to get some opinions or see if anyone else had tried these things and had success/failure.

Thank you, any responses are greatly appreciated.
wbuff, I thought I saw a thread in here with a guy that replaced his cvt's turbo. I will try to dig up the thread.

I had a side question, why did you get the borla exhaust over greddy or 27won (the one I am interested in). Dont mean to hijack your thread.

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wbuff, I thought I saw a thread in here with a guy that replaced his cvt's turbo. I will try to dig up the thread.

I had a side question, why did you get the borla exhaust over greddy or 27won (the one I am interested in). Dont mean to hijack your thread.
No problem! I chose the Borla mostly because I know it's high quality but also based on the way it sounded from the videos I've watched. I also heard that the GReddy can be a bit droney, but really it's up to you and what you like. I managed to snag my exhaust for around $730 after tax so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I haven't had any complaints or issues with the Borla. Here's a video of mine:

Numero1latino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
No problem! I chose the Borla mostly because I know it's high quality but also based on the way it sounded from the videos I've watched. I also heard that the GReddy can be a bit droney, but really it's up to you and what you like. I managed to snag my exhaust for around $730 after tax so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I haven't had any complaints or issues with the Borla. Here's a video of mine:
thanks for the input and the youtube video. I have seen a few exhaust videos and they all sound good to me coming from driving an SUV for 15yrs...lol

Here is the thread I was thinking about
https://www.civicx.com/threads/why-are-slow-cvts-quick.38691/#post-639898

but also came across a recent post of some guy blowing his CVT with too many mods...just search CVT and it should be one of the first ones...good read.

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
i wouldn't trust the CVT with anything above stock HP to be honest,
but most of the items you list won't increase HP much if at all, with the exception of the tune

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i wouldn't trust the CVT with anything above stock HP to be honest,
but most of the items you list won't increase HP much if at all, with the exception of the tune
Hondata claims their base tunes will not damage the CVT as they've tested the limits of it. I was just curious if aftermarket mods will increase power too much on top of the base tune to the point where the CVT will be damaged.

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Hondata claims their base tunes will not damage the CVT as they've tested the limits of it.
i don't believe a word they say,

they want to sell you a product, they want your money, that is all, its a marketing ploy and strategy,

if your CVT explodes while using their product, are they going to replace your CVT for you? :rolleyes:

and honda won't replace it either, as you are voiding your warranty,

but hey, if you have money to burn, then dip your toes in the fire all you want, but don't blame anybody else if you get burned

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i don't believe a word they say,

they want to sell you a product, they want your money, that is all, its a marketing ploy and strategy,

if your CVT explodes while using their product, are they going to replace your CVT for you? :rolleyes:

and honda won't replace it either, as you are voiding your warranty,

but hey, if you have money to burn, then dip your toes in the fire all you want
Duly noted, but isn't Hondata generally reputable/trusted?

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Duly noted, but isn't Hondata generally reputable/trusted?
i don't trust any aftermarket tuners, but thats just me,

even though your car might run fine with a "tune", i feel you are sacrificing the longevity of the vehicle,

internal damage is being done slowly,

people might say "but my car is running, so it cant be bad for it"

well that's like me saying, if im still alive and im not dead, that smoking a pack of cigarettes every day can't be bad for me,

however, if your in a financial position that would allow you to afford to replace your engine or your CVT then you don't need to worry i guess,

regardless, i wouldn't want to void my warranty over a few extra HP, thats just silly

read here......

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-failure-details-inside.40889/

this guy had KTuner but its the same crap different pile

Humblehulk

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2018 Hatchback Sport CVT. Just had PRL"s GT2860RS installed with Hondata tuned at 251HP/236TQ. I can provide more insight if more details are needed.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Hondata claims their base tunes will not damage the CVT as they've tested the limits of it. I was just curious if aftermarket mods will increase power too much on top of the base tune to the point where the CVT will be damaged.

You are not going to damage your CVT with either Tuner’s CAN tunes. You can damage any transmission however by mashing the peddle from dead stops frequently.

OP
OP
wbuff

wbuff

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice turbo. What gas do you use? If I were to use one of Hondata's base tunes, could I still use 87?

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i don't trust any aftermarket tuners, but thats just me,

even though your car might run fine with a "tune", i feel you are sacrificing the longevity of the vehicle,

internal damage is being done slowly,

people might say "but my car is running, so it cant be bad for it"

well that's like me saying, if im still alive and im not dead, that smoking a pack of cigarettes every day can't be bad for me,

however, if your in a financial position that would allow you to afford to replace your engine or your CVT then you don't need to worry i guess,

regardless, i wouldn't want to void my warranty over a few extra HP, thats just silly

read here......

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-failure-details-inside.40889/

this guy had KTuner but its the same crap different pile
Why do you still exist?