How much for CVT fluid change? Also, better to DIY?

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
You have to jack the car up to change your oil too...
Yeah but you dont need to have the car level to change the oil, for the fluid you need to. Harder to elevate car and keep level. Maybe with 4 rhino ramps, I only have 2.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I watched a video and it doesnt look all that easy. Car has to be jacked and level?
You jack the car up (or use ramps) to start draining the Fluid, then level the car off to get more fluid out, jack it up again to re-install the drain plug, and then refill when on the level,

Yes, you may have to jack the car up twice, but really, is that such a big deal, when you are not paying the Dealer to do it, and can use whatever "better" fluid you want.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You jack the car up (or use ramps) to start draining the Fluid, then level the car off to get more fluid out, jack it up again to re-install the drain plug, and then refill when on the level,

Yes, you may have to jack the car up twice, but really, is that such a big deal, when you are not paying the Dealer to do it, and can use whatever "better" fluid you want.
I will use ramps in front, then jack up the rear and set on stands to set it level, then do all the work.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I will use ramps in front, then jack up the rear and set on stands to set it level, then do all the work.
Good idea, (I did not think of that) -- I will probably do the same :)

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"I will use ramps in front, then jack up the rear and set on stands to set it level, then do all the work."

Metal ramps at the front may elevate the car higher than what you can achieve with jacks at the rear.

My hydraulic jack can easily lift the rear (center lift point) high enough to remove the wheels but it won't lift the body as high as with ramps.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I ended up doing the A137 service over the weekend myself.

It took exactly 4 qts of CVT fluid.

The car runs.... Exactly like before. So I guess that's a good thing.

Total cost: $20 oil, $40 cvt fluid, $6 brake fluid.
Knowing it was done right: Priceless

PilotCivicEXL

First Name
CivicEXL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL 2016
Country flag
I ended up doing the A137 service over the weekend myself.

It took exactly 4 qts of CVT fluid.

The car runs.... Exactly like before. So I guess that's a good thing.

Total cost: $20 oil, $40 cvt fluid, $6 brake fluid.
Knowing it was done right: Priceless

Where do you buy OEM CVT, Brake fluid and oil filter?

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"I will use ramps in front, then jack up the rear and set on stands to set it level, then do all the work."

Metal ramps at the front may elevate the car higher than what you can achieve with jacks at the rear.

My hydraulic jack can easily lift the rear (center lift point) high enough to remove the wheels but it won't lift the body as high as with ramps.

My jack goes up to 24 1/4" so I think it will lift the rear comfortably above the ramps.

I have shown before in another thread my Harbor Freight/homemade combination civicx ramps:

Honda Civic 10th gen How much for CVT fluid change? Also, better to DIY? DZL5dUKnK2rqjeZD0NQpmMWS_-JAnN4LJI-5Y22FQo_pjEUUOGC02jJ4nROg?width=1024&height=741&cropmode=none

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Where do you buy OEM CVT, Brake fluid and oil filter?
I got the CVT fluid and the transmission bolt washer from Bernardi Honda. They're within 1 day UPS ground from me so shipping is quick and cheap.

As for oil, my personal opinion is that I can do a lot better for the money than OEM. I use either Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil Advanced full synthetic and use exclusively FRAM Ultra oil filters.

Since the car wants me to change brake fluid every 2 years for some reason, I just use standard Prestone DOT3 (the big yellow bottle).

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I got the CVT fluid and the transmission bolt washer from Bernardi Honda. They're within 1 day UPS ground from me so shipping is quick and cheap.

As for oil, my personal opinion is that I can do a lot better for the money than OEM. I use either Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil Advanced full synthetic and use exclusively FRAM Ultra oil filters.

Since the car wants me to change brake fluid every 2 years for some reason, I just use standard Prestone DOT3 (the big yellow bottle).
I am getting ready to do the CVT fluid change and will replace both washers for the drain bolt and the check bolt. I am pretty sure the part # for the drain bolt washer is 90471-PX4-000 but have no idea what the part # is for the check bolt, the bolt right above the drain bolt, can anyone help thank you appreciate it in case it varies I have the 1.5 hatch.

nyamwaikinn

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport(Sonic Gray)
Country flag
Does the car have to be leveled? I did the change recently only by using ramps, and i filled until the fill hole start to pour and then plugged it back when it was dripping. Do i have to redo it?

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
More oil drains if the car is level.

I drove up on metal ramps to drain the oil. Once it slowed to a drip I raised the rear with a jack at the center jack point. A few more ounces of oil drained.

I'd assume you'd be overfilling if you fill it to the level plug while up on the ramps. But if you remove the level plug once you're off the ramps the excess oil should drip out and you're oil level should then be correct.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
At 49k miles, due for a CVT fluid change on my 1.5T. Anyone know how much this costs at the dealer?

Also, do they just do a drain and fill? I heard that only took like, 1/3rd of the fluid out. Am I better off just buying 12 qts of fluid and doing 3 drain and fills myself to get mostly new fluid in?
Dealer used 4qts. @$11.60 plus $70 labor: total $119.95 with tax. In NJ

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Does the car have to be leveled? I did the change recently only by using ramps, and i filled until the fill hole start to pour and then plugged it back when it was dripping. Do i have to redo it?
vehicle has to be level to check the fluid level properly,

1- drain tranny
2- fill tranny till fluid drips out of the check hole
3- install check hole plug
4- start car and run your gear selector trough all gear positions, stopping in each gear for 30 seconds
5- let tranny fluid get up to operating temp (until your cooling fan turns on) this might take 15 mins or more of idling
6- recheck fluid level by removing check plug, add fluid as nessessary (till it drips out)
7- install check plug

#4 + #5 are VERY important steps to get an accurate reading