How much for CVT fluid change? Also, better to DIY?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
At 49k miles, due for a CVT fluid change on my 1.5T. Anyone know how much this costs at the dealer?

Also, do they just do a drain and fill? I heard that only took like, 1/3rd of the fluid out. Am I better off just buying 12 qts of fluid and doing 3 drain and fills myself to get mostly new fluid in?
Sponsored

Illiya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT, 1973 Porsche 914, 2015 BMW F800GT, 1996 Honda Nighthawk.
Country flag
Hello CivicXI. I really recommend you do it yourself. I did mine for the first time a couple weeks ago. It is actually easier than an oil change as there is no filter to replace (Not that that is difficult). Four quarts of fluid and a long thin funnel. Drain and fill until it comes out of the weep whole just forward and above the drain hole. There are more complete and excellent directions on this site I followed. As someone else commented in that chat, I will also probably do the CVT fluid change every other oil change too. I also replaced both drain and weep hole bolts with new washers.
Follow this: https://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-change-transmission-oil-on-1-5t-cvt.31029/ .
Be safe and best regards.

MadManx1

Project X1
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Cvt
Country flag
Just got mine done the supercharger whine is gone product of need the tranny oil changed make sure if you going to mod your car change the oil first

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just got mine done the supercharger whine is gone product of need the tranny oil changed make sure if you going to mod your car change the oil first
When did you start getting the noise? I read in another thread that the noise is when you should start planning to get it changed.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I will personally do all the items on Scheduled Maintenance, and document all I do in MyCarFax, along with Photos of work being done, and of all receipts for materials used.
Not paying someone else $120 / hour to screw up such simple tasks.

I get to choose the material I want without markups, (That are acceptable to Honda's warranty), and get the enjoyment and satisfaction of doing a "job well done"

The only disadvantage in doing it myself, is that I do not get the Dealer's FREE Car Wash (and paint micro scratches), and don't get to buy missing under- engine Skid Plate fasteners. :doh:

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I watched a video and it doesnt look all that easy. Car has to be jacked and level?
You have to jack the car up to change your oil too...
Sponsored