How much do you make in your career/job?

How much do you make in your career/job?

• $100k+

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • $75-$100k/year

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • $50-$75k/year

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • $25-$50k/year

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • $0- $25k/year

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
  • Banned
Now, Im not asking anyone to post a comment with how much they make. Im just curuous to see what the economic demographic of CivicX members looks like with the poll.
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I have a BS degree in Computer Information Systems from DeVry
Then I got an MBA from Keller Graduate School of Management. I actually took the MBA off resume because it wasn't benefiting me since every1 thought I would prob be asking for more money.

My first full-time job was HelpDesk which I was there for 4 years.
After getting fed up with a new boss, I voluntarily resigned and was unemployed for over 9 months.
Started $40k, left at around $44k

I landed a job working as a "Network Administrator", but really a jack-of-all trades for another company.
I was the lone wolf, but gained tons of experience in System Administration and a tiny bit of networking.
Started there with $52k and left at around $65k. Was with the company for 2 years.

After finally getting burned-out, I started looking for another job.
I had some VP from Robert Half call me (OH NO!), but he offered to setup an interview for a company that was looking to hire-full time.
I guess he was friends with a VP from the current company I am at.
Been here for about two years, but it hasn't crossed my mind to leave.

I'm a System Administrator and have full "keys to the kingdom" on the network end as well.
I learned Cisco networking from my boss and a lot of self study in my homelab. This is in regards to ASA FireWalls and 3700 Series Catalyst Switches.

Let's just say that I am making north of $85k.
Being jobless was a very depressing time in my life, but it worked out in the end.
I would strongly advise never to voluntarily resign and avoid a a huge potential employment gap.
Fortunately, it worked out for me in the end.

The only other piece of advice would be to hop jobs every 3 years until you are both financially happy and happy with your job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
  • Banned
Then I got an MBA from Keller Graduate School of Management.

After getting fed up with a new boss, I voluntarily resigned and was unemployed for over 9 months.

I landed a job working as a "Network Administrator", but really a jack-of-all trades for another company.
I was the lone wolf, but gained tons of experience in System Administration and a tiny bit of networking.
Started there with $52k and left at around $65k. Was with the company for 2 years.

I had some VP from Robert Half call me (OH NO!), but he offered to setup an interview for a company that was looking to hire-full time.

I'm a System Administrator and have full "keys to the kingdom" on the network end as well.
I learned Cisco networking from my boss and a lot of self study in my homelab. This is in regards to ASA FireWalls and 3700 Series Catalyst Switches.

Being jobless was a very depressing time in my life, but it worked out in the end.
I would strongly advise never to voluntarily resign and potentially get a huge employment gap.

The only other piece of advice would be to hop jobs every 3 years until you are both financially happy and happy with your job.
I dont know what any of those positions mean, nor what type of work that is other than being maybe computer related.

Does your current position require a lot of hours over the traditional 40/week?

And how did you support yourself with that large unemployment gap? Just scraped by on unemployment pay

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a lot older and a CPO now-a-days... and make a comfortable living.

I'll say... my first full year in the service, my taxable income was about 17k and my take home pay was right at $550 every two weeks. I got married the summer of that year (no I didn't knock her up...). My wife and I enjoyed a lot of ramen and macaroni and cheese in those days. The blue box was upscale.

Ever see a young service member in a tough spot and can help them out... I encourage you to. The cost of living raises we've been getting for years have not kept up with inflation and that first year or two are *lean* years for those young men and women.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Started working in IT as a $30k helpdesk guy in 2002 when I was 25. Became a Windows/Network Admin in 2004 at $40k. Learned Backup/Recovery/DR and started doing consultant work on weekends at $55 hour. Negotiated my rate up to $85 in 2005. Quit full time job and began working 5-7 12 hour shifts as a consultant (7pm-7am NOC Admin). Contract bought out for $30 hour by IBM in 2006. Decided to finally get my high school diploma. Went to work for Commvault software from 2006 for $70k and worked up to 110k in Support by working some weekend over time shifts. Started mining cryptocurrency in 2011. Fired in Sept 2013 and lived off cryptocurrency for 3 months. Went to work as a Backup and DR Admin in December 2013 as a consultant at $75/hour and then was hired in May 2014 at $90k(needed benefits). Found out they were outsourcing last summer and started looking on dice for a job. Found a software startup to work for and cannot say what I am making now as I have coworkers to consider.

Only certifications I have had are Commvault software from previous versions back when I worked there. My cryptocurrency holdings are worth far more than my 401k. Life is strange but fun. Married with kids and happy.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I dont know what any of those positions mean, nor what type of work that is other than being maybe computer related.

Does your current position require a lot of hours over the traditional 40/week?

And how did you support yourself with that large unemployment gap? Just scraped by on unemployment pay
That's tough to answer. I am in a senior position. Technically I am on call 24/7. On some weekends, I am called to reboot a server because our development team really screwed something up. That takes about 5 minutes. No biggie there. If I am home, I can remotely do it. Worst case scenario my director can do it or my VP. A few times a year, we work a weekend for some major projects we need to get out of the way. Something that needs to be done outside a 24/7 business operation. That's understandable.

My hours are a little weird. Technically I work from Mon-Fr 8am-4pm. However, I am in daily @6:45am by personal choice.
Sometimes staying a little longer up to 7pm to help-out my boss or our underlings if they need assistance. Or just shoot the shit in general.
I don't mind it at all. Love what I do. And love the people I work with.
Also it helps with the salary increases & $8k+ yearly bonuses ^_^

Because I voluntarily resigned, I couldn't collect unemployment.
I took care of all my own bills with the exception of rent. I still lived with my parents in my late 20s ^_^
I didn't really "scrape by" financially. By that time, I had over 150k in the bank to get by with.
Mentally though, it was a rough patch.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
How much do I make? Not enough considering my experience level and student loans. :thumbsdown:

sysjl

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2014 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I'm a nurse with an associate's degree and I work 3 days a week (36 hours). I pulled in $90,000 last year. Best $7500 I ever spent on school.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had a bumpy road to finding a career... I started in the military doing IT (Computer network and crypo systems analyst), didnt really like it, got out of the military and did all sorts of odd jobs trying to "find myself" and eventually picked back up in IT doing helpdesk again...(wasted nearly 10 years and lost out on a LOT of higher pay)... I make 50k now doing helpdesk (but really do MUCH more) more of an IT Analyst. Thinking of moving over to Network operations or field network work which would bump me to 60-70k... but I have it made right now for my salary to stress ratio.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Retired Military. Ive been working on my second retirement, for about 5 years, now. State Law Enforcement (CA). I work a desk, at night. Deal with some inmates, here and there. Base is about $95K. I work a few extra shifts a month, 2-3 and with my mil pay, it puts me like $142ish. If I work 8-10 overtimes, a month, Im looking at $185-189K. I dont see myself working that much, though.

OohDangItsNay

First Name
Ranay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Aegean Blue), 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT, 2004 Civic LX, 1994 F250 7.3L, 1992 Mustang 2.3L, 1991 Mustang 5.0, 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
Vehicle Showcase
I work in a Transmission shop. I’m salaried at 60k a year.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
Then I got an MBA from Keller Graduate School of Management. I actually took the MBA off resume because it wasn't benefiting me since every1 thought I would prob be asking for more money.

I would strongly advise never to voluntarily resign and avoid a a huge potential employment gap.

You could have made north of 130k but maybe or perhaps not from Devry per se although I don't know the ceilings of their undergrad programs. Could it be underrated? Also, you did well for a devry degree, wouldn't you wholeheartedly agree? Also, since you are on the hardware side, gaps in employment come with the game. Even with software. General IT degrees are not as lucratice financialy as specializing in a specific tech or tech. For ex, People soft, Lotus or Exchange etc et al.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
25 now... 60K a year, guaranteed 82K by age 27... IT background.

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
25 now... 60K a year, guaranteed 82K by age 27... IT background.
damn it seems IT is the place to be to make money nowadays!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
damn it seems IT is the place to be to make money nowadays!
Outsourcing is a major factor with IT work. People sticking in a job past 10 years is rare and pay tends to stagnate. Longest I have been with a company is 7 years. Shortest was 1 year. Many people choose consultant work with a 1099 instead of a w2 since the illusion of job security gets old.
Sponsored