shogun168

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback (2018)
Country flag
I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback (non-sport) model and received a note that my service was due again. This will be my 4th service this year, is that normal? My service dates have been: February, June, October and now presumably December. I don't mind too much since it doesn't really cost me anything (I get a free oil change every time too), but just wondered if it was weird. I thought most cars only serviced once a year. I bought the car brand new in October 2017 fwiw.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback (non-sport) model and received a note that my service was due again. This will be my 4th service this year, is that normal? My service dates have been: February, June, October and now presumably December. I don't mind too much since it doesn't really cost me anything (I get a free oil change every time too), but just wondered if it was weird. I thought most cars only serviced once a year. I bought the car brand new in October 2017 fwiw.
Normal all depends on how much you drive, what type of driving you do and the weather.
Colder weather kicks the crap out of the oil to a greater extent.

OP
OP
shogun168

shogun168

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm I see. I have a feeling I'm what you would call a 'spirited' driver so I guess that makes sense. How does the dealership know to send mail? Is it something my Civic is doing on its own? Sending a notification to the dealer to let me know to do a service? Nothing's popped up on my odometer yet ..

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Are these specific requests for service? Or just the mailers that have coupons suggesting service?

I had a 16 Civic LX that I didn't put much mileage on and only went in once a year for oil change/tire rotation. Moving forward with my 18 EX-T I'm going to do most of the basic maintenance myself.

I do agree that it depends on how much you're driving along with how you drive and the environment.

OP
OP
shogun168

shogun168

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are these specific requests for service? Or just the mailers that have coupons suggesting service?

I had a 16 Civic LX that I didn't put much mileage on and only went in once a year for oil change/tire rotation. Moving forward with my 18 EX-T I'm going to do most of the basic maintenance myself.

I do agree that it depends on how much you're driving along with how you drive and the environment.
I have a feeling it's a specific request for service. Looks similar to the last mailer I got and my Civic flashed up the Service Due thing a few days after I got the mailer. Just seems weird since I got it serviced two months ago ...

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait, so are you going by the MM or by what your dealer tells you? Of course, the dealer would want you to service your car much more frequently if they are the ones doing the service. Nothing wrong with that, except the hit on your pocketbook.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
The dealership I bought the car from sends an auto mail every 4 months reminding me to book my service appointment. This of course is their way of duping you into replacing your air filter and cabin air filter. It's free for them to send these emails of course, so it's a cheap way to cast a net over Honda owners.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I have a feeling it's a specific request for service. Looks similar to the last mailer I got and my Civic flashed up the Service Due thing a few days after I got the mailer. Just seems weird since I got it serviced two months ago ...
Probably an automailer. They don't care what condition the car is in. They're happy to look over your car and charge you labor for it.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
As a point of reference, I've put 16,000 miles on my car since March 1. I've had two services -each around the 8K mile mark.. My driving is 80% highway 20% city. I follow the MM.

OP
OP
shogun168

shogun168

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait, so are you going by the MM or by what your dealer tells you? Of course, the dealer would want you to service your car much more frequently if they are the ones doing the service. Nothing wrong with that, except the hit on your pocketbook.
Well kind of both... I usually get a MM note right after the auto mailer.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Forget mailing from the dealer, he want your money, follow MM if you don't know car mechanics

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
A new car doesn't need any service other than oil changes and tire rotations in the first 30,000 miles.
Engine air filter and Cabin Air filter is due about that time, maybe wiper blades.
I have my tires rotated at every oil change.....AMERICAS TIRE or DISCOUNT TIRE do FREE tire rotations and FREE flat repairs even if you didn't buy your tires from them.
lelete
The dealer just wants your money.
Sponsored

Last edited: