How many members ever noticed that our tenth gen civics come factory with oiled air filters?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I replaces my air filter a couple months ago and I ordered a Honda oem replacement air filter and realized that the filter is made of what looks like a cotton blend filter that is oiled. The filter is yellow because of the oil. It is a good quality filter. So I plan to continue to use these filters along with not modifying my intake since it already is a impressive intake system. I own the 2.0 NA and the intake is like a cold air/ram air system.
Sponsored

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I noticed that yesterday. Ordered a replacement air filter online, the plastic wrap and filter were oily. This is my 1st Honda, don't remember my GM cars having oiled filters. What is the benefit?

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes you can definitely hear the VTEC kick in. I love the sound of this engine.

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed that yesterday. Ordered a replacement air filter online, the plastic wrap and filter were oily. This is my 1st Honda, don't remember my GM cars having oiled filters. What is the benefit?
A lot of people refer to the stock filter as a dry paper filter because most car companies use them. But yes you are right, ours are oiled filters. They are not thin and see through like aftermarket oiled filters but they are definitely made of some type of cotton blend. They also flow very good because my engine has no problem breathing at all. So obviously Honda engineers decided this was the best style filter for the job, so I’m sticking with them. And you can order them online for $14 bucks. I would imagine the benefit is finer filtering. The oil helps catch finer particles of dust

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The replacement filters I ordered came in. I got one for my 2.0 NA and one for my girlfriends 1.5T. You can see they come in a plastic bag because of the oil. I go through a lot of dust and bugs on my way to work so I change mine every 10,000 miles. I know it seems crazy but check out my picture of my filter after just 10,000 miles lol

Honda Civic 10th gen How many members ever noticed that our tenth gen civics come factory with oiled air filters? 3D057E77-660F-4939-9377-E5D8E4DC25CD

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This was my dirty filter lol

Honda Civic 10th gen How many members ever noticed that our tenth gen civics come factory with oiled air filters? DFDE5DA7-1FE6-497C-966C-1DB25A06F449

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Nice thread title lol

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Due to the lousy air quality here in Central Pennsylvania, I change both intake & cabin filters every 10k or 12 months, whichever comes first. The cabin filter is usually dirtier.

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I decided to go with the AEM dry filter... After 25k the oem filter was super nasty

Honda Civic 10th gen How many members ever noticed that our tenth gen civics come factory with oiled air filters? IMG_20190226_175004

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
OEM filter sold at Canadian dealers' service departments seems to be oiled. I realized this and decided against buying FRAM or unoiled other brands sold at Cdn auto stores when OEM product seems to be built better and is oiled and is about the same price.

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OEM filter sold at Canadian dealers' service departments seems to be oiled. I realized this and decided against buying FRAM or unoiled other brands sold at Cdn auto stores when OEM product seems to be built better and is oiled and is about the same price.
Yes I agree completely. I actually went with another brand from oreillys and it wasn’t oiled. But after 2000 miles I noticed my car felt like it was “dragging”. Just didn’t have any power. So I checked the filter and all the pleats were closed up. It’s like the filter had swollen. So I ordered the oem filter online. This is when I realized the quality difference. I have had zero problems with the oem filter. And I order it online for $14. Not bad for the quality

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is a picture of that filter from oreillys that swole the pleats shut after 2000 miles. It might be hard to see in the picture but you couldn’t see down any pleat. But when it was new you could. Just bad quality. So I stick to the oem oiled filter now.

Honda Civic 10th gen How many members ever noticed that our tenth gen civics come factory with oiled air filters? DC5F7EA0-2EF3-4B38-A1BE-3EFE476756D9

OP
OP
mvela

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I decided to go with the AEM dry filter... After 25k the oem filter was super nasty

IMG_20190226_175004.jpg
Oh yeah I bet you noticed a difference after changing that filter lol. But as you can see the pleats were still open like they are supposed to. They are very good filters
Sponsored