DELETED

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
Like 2-4 seconds (kinda guessing, I haven’t actually counted) with stock. I’m not 100% sure if I am damaging the clutch but holding it a little longer at the biting point for a smooth shift, but it works lol. I usually shift from 1-3 and hold on the clutch for like an extra second or two. For 4-6, I can release the clutch more faster than 1-3.

Miro

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si, 2016 Pilot (wife's)
Country flag
I do the same thing when shifting. Also curious if it damages clutch or not.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
1st to 2nd is a very long shift. 2nd to 3rd can also be long especially if you are in a high rpm range.

I find that holding the clutch pedal down to the floor and waiting for the revs to drop takes way too long. I use the clutch to pull the revs down faster. There is a sweet spot where it will cause revs to drop faster without lurching you forward at all, but it’s not easy to feel. I have some inconsistent shifts for sure.

Using the clutch to pull revs down faster is indeed going to cause more wear to the friction material over time, but i cant wait 3 seconds to shift from 1st to 2nd. It is annoying to the driver behind me, they have to stop accelerating to wait for me to shift.

i’m at 37k miles on my Si and my clutch has never slipped on a WOT pull yet. Only time will tell. I’ll be pretty bummed if it doesn’t make it to at least 100k on the factory clutch.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You aren’t going to burn your clutch up by using it to shift faster or smoother. The clutch is there to help you achieve faster and smoother shifts. That being said, it will cause more wear over time. The more time spent with the clutch making frictional contact with the flywheel (pedal partially depressed), the faster your clutch will wear out.

If you are abusing your clutch and causing excessive wear, you’ll smell it every time you shut the car off and get out. If that is happening, you need to figure out what you are doing wrong and change some driving habits.

You can shift like a granny and wait for the weight of the DMF to slow down the engine on its own, but it’s a fricken Si. It’s meant to be driven faster than a Prius.

Just make sure you set aside a couple thousand dollars for a clutch replacement in a few years. If you are making more than stock power, you might need to go aftermarket sooner rather than later.

T.Silver

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It takes me about 2 for a casual but quick pull. I do keep the revs low and shift early for the first and second gears, I don't see a lot of power or speed but the car doesn't jerk and I stay in third longer in stoplight to stoplight traffic.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR has a weird thing where sometimes when you shift the revs drop pretty much instantly, and other times the revs float for a second before starting to drop. It’s either something to do with the auto rev matching stuff or the temperature of the trans/oil because it happens frequently when cold out.

That being said 1-2 is still my pain point even being into 2 years driving stick but the jerks are subtle and barely noticeable. I generally wait a half second before I bring up the clutch, but I sometimes also hold it at the bite to smooth it out more.

I’m really curious to know how different the Si feels to the CTR.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I have literally NO IDEA how long it takes me to change gear .. never even think about it anymore .. my Si just changes gear as if by itself when I am driving, and I am not even conscious about changing gear... it just happens when it needs to :drive:

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sometimes I make breakfast in between my 1->2 shifts when I go to work