How is this even possible?! Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
So, my first oil change I got at Honda when the cars original oil got to 15%. I had them do the regular oil that they recommend for our cars since they charge $90 for an oil change in my city & my first one was free & I knew I'd switch to a full synthetic for my second oil change anyway. Well, I did. I had Jiffy Lube do Pennzoil Ultra Platinum when I hit 15% oil life again. Now here we are, at 5% and not even at my miles yet. Could it be that our new engines really need a lot of cleaning & breaking in or do our cars not recognize the better oil. I plan on going and getting it changed as soon as I get back in town & back to my car & I am really curious to see how dirty the oil actually is and will let you guys know. You guys & girls got any thoughts?

-T
'16 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring

Honda Civic 10th gen How is this even possible?! Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic ima

Honda Civic 10th gen How is this even possible?! Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic ima

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
So, my first oil change I got at Honda when the cars original oil got to 15%. I had them do the regular oil that they recommend for our cars since they charge $90 for an oil change in my city & my first one was free & I knew I'd switch to a full synthetic for my second oil change anyway. Well, I did. I had Jiffy Lube do Pennzoil Ultra Platinum when I hit 15% oil life again. Now here we are, at 5% and not even at my miles yet. Could it be that our new engines really need a lot of cleaning & breaking in or do our cars not recognize the better oil. I plan on going and getting it changed as soon as I get back in town & back to my car & I am really curious to see how dirty the oil actually is and will let you guys know. You guys & girls got any thoughts?

-T
'16 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
Did they not clear the maintenance on it?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
They forgot to reset the maintenance minder. Look in your manual and there should be instructions to reset it.

In the future, buy your own oil at Walmart. It's about $26 for 5qts of synthetic oil. Bring the oil to a Honda dealer and just tell them you want to use your own oil. The only thing you'll pay is labor (about $15) and the oil filter (about $8).

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are hundreds of reports of fast oil change places like that doing very shady things. Putting in cheap oil when people pay for good stuff, not changing filters, terrible things.

Do yourself a favor and avoid those places. Dealer or do it yourself. I recommend learning how to do that stuff yourself. It's not difficult.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
call me crazy but I don't trust anyone else to change my oil, I do it myself. I went to walmart and bought a jackstand for twenty bucks so my plan is to use the scissors jack in the trunk on one side and the jackstand on the other and change oil myself. I'm told I'm going to need something that channels the flow of drain oil out from between the crankcase and the the cover thing under the front end.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
call me crazy but I don't trust anyone else to change my oil, I do it myself. I went to walmart and bought a jackstand for twenty bucks so my plan is to use the scissors jack in the trunk on one side and the jackstand on the other and change oil myself. I'm told I'm going to need something that channels the flow of drain oil out from between the crankcase and the the cover thing under the front end.
I wish I could answer your question, but I had a free first oil change at the dealer. I haven't changed my car's oil myself yet. I would imagine you'll either have to remove some of the plastic diffusers under the car, or there will be an access point for the oil drain/filter.

You can get a pretty nice hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight for $60-100. I really recommend Harbor Freight Tools for people that don't plan to use them on a weekly basis. You can walk out of there with everything you need to do most general maintenance for under $100.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
what was the miles when you got your last oil change?

has it been 6-8k on it? if so that seem normal depending on the driving conditions

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
... or do our cars not recognize the better oil.
Cars do not "recognize oil." They merely use the oil you give them. The type of oil has nothing to do with the maintenance minder. Only how you use your car and whether or not you bother to reset the minder.

OP
OP
darkseas

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they not clear the maintenance on it?
They did. That was my main concern when I decided I was going to have Jiffy Lube do the change. I made sure that they changed oil on our new 10th Gens before I let them do mine and all was well when they were done. Back to 100% oil life. I am a long time Uber driver & get a good discount at Jiffy Lube. It's less $ for me for the top of the line Pennzoil Ultra Platinum than what Honda's regular oil change costs.

OP
OP
darkseas

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what was the miles when you got your last oil change?

has it been 6-8k on it? if so that seem normal depending on the driving conditions
Not even close. It's been like 3000.

OP
OP
darkseas

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I could answer your question, but I had a free first oil change at the dealer. I haven't changed my car's oil myself yet. I would imagine you'll either have to remove some of the plastic diffusers under the car, or there will be an access point for the oil drain/filter.

You can get a pretty nice hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight for $60-100. I really recommend Harbor Freight Tools for people that don't plan to use them on a weekly basis. You can walk out of there with everything you need to do most general maintenance for under $100.
I know it. I love Harbor Freight!! I have the good stuff as far as hydraulic jacks go though. She's pretty hammered on the D2 coilovers & 19" Rotiform's.

OP
OP
darkseas

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars do not "recognize oil." They merely use the oil you give them. The type of oil has nothing to do with the maintenance minder. Only how you use your car and whether or not you bother to reset the minder.
I figured that. I just couldn't think of any other reason I would be due already. It's been about 3000miles since Jiffy changed her & she was right back to 100% oil life. Also, I noticed the oil life lasting much longer with the new oil... It was only when it got down to 50% oil life that I noticed it start dropping faster than average.

OP
OP
darkseas

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are hundreds of reports of fast oil change places like that doing very shady things. Putting in cheap oil when people pay for good stuff, not changing filters, terrible things.

Do yourself a favor and avoid those places. Dealer or do it yourself. I recommend learning how to do that stuff yourself. It's not difficult.
I plan on changing it myself from now on. The Jiffy Lube I went to wasn't shady. I have a very good friend that works there and was watching the entire time. The only reason I didn't do it myself is because I work for Uber & got a killer discount & It happend when I was out of town & happened to be close to my friends Jiffy. If I was home with my garage when it got to 15%, I would have done it myself.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
They did. That was my main concern when I decided I was going to have Jiffy Lube do the change. I made sure that they changed oil on our new 10th Gens before I let them do mine and all was well when they were done. Back to 100% oil life. I am a long time Uber driver & get a good discount at Jiffy Lube. It's less $ for me for the top of the line Pennzoil Ultra Platinum than what Honda's regular oil change costs.
I agree, I got a free oil change in crv, semi synthetic would have been $56! Really? I can do full synthetic mobil 1 for about half that, not including the current $12 reabte
Sponsored