How I Keep My Sub From Sliding Around In The Trunk

SC5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 12inch sub and wanted a relatively easy/cheap solution to keep it fixed in the trunk.

I bought two brake pad spreaders for $8 each and then took a piece of plywood from an old dresser and cutout slots on each end so the spreaders can slide in from outside.

Then used the spreaders to clamp against the sub and trunk sheet metal as shown in the pictures. It doesnā€™t take a lot of clamping force to create enough friction to keep it in place. I also put some rubber patch on the clamping surface to prevent scratches.

Been running this for over six months and it works very well plus it is easy to remove.

One thing I want to mention is that the spreaders are very strong so one could deform the sheet metal in the trunk if tightened too much...which is what happened when I first tried it.

Now I try to position the spreader such that it is close to the vertical wall of the sheet metal where it is strongest.

Anyways, hopefully it helps someone out there looking for ideas.

Honda Civic 10th gen How I Keep My Sub From Sliding Around In The Trunk 3A7317C9-FCDD-4D75-8B57-ED535E9BFFCA

Honda Civic 10th gen How I Keep My Sub From Sliding Around In The Trunk 5BF95640-1C20-4B48-9030-83EA63DB7EA6

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like a carpeted box. If so I'd have gone with this - https://www.amazon.com/Approx-Adhestive-Strips-Sticky-Fastener/dp/B01AI28QFU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

The abrasive side of velcro sticks great to our carpets, just make double sided sheets a bit smaller than the box by sticking the sticky adhesive sides to each other. In fact this combined with your idea would really let you corner hard, and maybe you could ease up on the clamps a bit if you find it's still bending the sheet metal a bit.

OP
OP

SC5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion. Though for me I didnā€™t really care for slightly deforming the sm as it is on the underside and you have to be looking for it to notice.

Anyhow, I havenā€™t cornered hard with the car but can tell you that the sub is not going anywhere. It wonā€™t budge when I pull really hard on it.

The other part I forgot to mention and also experiment with is to put a wooden/metal spacer where the spreader meets the car metal to ā€˜spreadā€™ the load over a larger area

Last edited:

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Are you running that sub in parallel with the factory sub with the factory amplifier? But... Why?

OP
OP

SC5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Nah man. Just stealing the signal.
Sub amp is here...though a small one but good enough for me :)

Honda Civic 10th gen How I Keep My Sub From Sliding Around In The Trunk 35120FDD-E582-47FB-A4CA-8D57798C3711