How does the CTR fare in cold climates?

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
How does the Type R fare in snow filled conditions? Its one of my primary concerns about getting one, namely that the car will be helplessly struggling to put the power down on the front wheels.

And how does the HVAC cope with colder climates? Apart from rattles, are there any other winter related issues with the CTR?
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s the total opposite. Like any FWD it’s brilliant in cold climate given the right winter tires (cold temps, cold surfaces, ice, and snow). It’s no different than any other FWD cars once you have the proper equipment for the environment. Here, you can see my proof of playing in 6-8” of snow.

Enjoy!

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you have winter tires you'll be fine.

Been driving it in temps of -1c all the way down to -20c

Pulls harder in the cold though

All comes down to tires at the end, drove with the stock summer timers that came with the car in -20 c for like 3 days waiting to get winters - yea...instant traction loss even lightly hitting the throttle lol.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Like other's have said, make sure you have proper tires. No issues with the climate control here.

I have noticed that the backup camera gets covered with road grime from treated roads very easily. Not sure if its the placement of the camera?

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
They need a camera wash! Mine seems to get dirty by just looking at it. I kid I kid. But ya car does pretty well for most conditions! My biggest issue is going up hills if I don’t have momentum. It will just spin and slide around until you back up and gain some speed.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Backup camera gets dirty on ALL cars with backup cameras. Wipe lense and good to go.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Live in Winnipeg and daily mine. If you do or don’t know where Winnipeg, they don’t call us winterpeg for nothing. Starts fine even in minus 30 weather and car is never plugged in to the block heater. Warms up pretty quick and you get good heat once it has had a chance to warm up. Shifter and clutch get a bit stiffer but not as bad as the subi used to get. The ride is also much more manageable even with the car feeling like a brick. Ohh and the seats, even though they are unheated, do a great job of providing comfort.

Just get a decent set of winter tires and you will be fine. I run some 18” xice tires as the hakkapelitta studded are not allowed at my work parkade.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Having owned both a FBO Mazdaspeed3 and Focus ST and driven them through serious storms I can tell you that high HP FWD cars are more than fine with the proper tires. My mazdaspeed3 on Michelin X-ice tires was a tank and better than my WRX with all seasons. It’s all about the tires

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Having owned both a FBO Mazdaspeed3 and Focus ST and driven them through serious storms I can tell you that high HP FWD cars are more than fine with the proper tires. My mazdaspeed3 on Michelin X-ice tires was a tank and better than my WRX with all seasons. It’s all about the tires
I miss the MS3, I too ran it all year with snows.
I just don’t miss the harsh ride that it eventually ended up with.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Backup camera gets dirty on ALL cars with backup cameras. Wipe lense and good to go.
Yes, but my Accord camera lens would clean itself with rain and wouldn't really get so nasty in the first place. Granted, I was running skinny all-season economy tires.

My CTR camera, like the rest of the rear hatch, gets filthy very quickly. Rest of the car could be reasonably clean, back hatch will be caked with grime. Visibility is so poor sometimes from actual flecks of mud/dirt/soot that I can't trust the view and I have to remember to wipe it down with some quick detailer and a microfiber later.

Also, it's pouring rain right now, and the design of the rear hatch with spoiler precludes it from getting a decent rinse. Slightly annoying.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Most get dirty (there are some that hide the camera when not in use. Even so, when I had my '15 Camry, the camera would take longer to get dirty, at least a few days worth of driving (assuming non-dry weather and unclean roads). I'm lucky if the Type R can survive half a days worth of driving in similar conditions.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Every-time I back up in my M2 when it's dirty it brings back fond memories of my Golf R and the outstanding design of the VW Golf backup camera. No matter how dirty your car is the rear view camera is always clean.