How do you maintain the glossy trim?

imperialgrunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
How do you guys keep your black glossy trim pieces clean and scratch free on your hatchbacks?

I've recently washed my car for the first time, and even after using a soft microfiber cloth there is still visible swirls in direct sunlight, especially on the tail lights and spoiler.
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My first guess would be Plast-X to polish them back to normal.

I'm not looking forward to cleaning all the shiny, unpainted plastic on this car.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Not saying one way is better than the other, but here is my plan:
  • Polish all gloss plastic trims, including tail lights
  • Apply Xpel / 3M PPF (clear film)
  • Apply coating to film

You can buy film relatively inexpensive for this specific purpose, and it would at least minimize the damage that would be instilled during regular washing/drying.

kcarne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT WOP
Country flag
Anyone have an update on this? I feel like I'm having issues even quicker because of how hard the water is around me, as well as how crazy the sun is (phoenix lol). I hope that it doesn't get too bad

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Plan on going with a ppf in the very near future but until then I've been using 303 aerospace for all my trim. Uv protects it and shine will last for weeks. Also great for interior.
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you maintain the glossy trim? 20170703_125419

kcarne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT WOP
Country flag
Plan on going with a ppf in the very near future but until then I've been using 303 aerospace for all my trim. Uv protects it and shine will last for weeks. Also great for interior.
20170703_125419.jpg
Thanks for the heads up on that 303 spray. For the PPF (which I already have on my grill/hood area) have you found any good kits? I paid to have the front end done, how hard would the trim be to do? Seems like the most long term solution

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Thanks for the heads up on that 303 spray. For the PPF (which I already have on my grill/hood area) have you found any good kits? I paid to have the front end done, how hard would the trim be to do? Seems like the most long term solution
Haven't found any yet actually. A buddy of mine referred me tof a place that will do it for me including the glossy trim and side skirts. I believe they use suntek but when I find out I will definitely post.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is 303 safe to use on the top of the dash of the car? If so I'm going to pick up a bottle. I've just been using a wet micro fiber towel to wipe everything down.

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
is 303 safe to use on the top of the dash of the car? If so I'm going to pick up a bottle. I've just been using a wet micro fiber towel to wipe everything down.
absolutely the only thing I don't use it on is glass, fabric, and the infotainment screen

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Is that basically a clear coat with additive spray, or is it more of a spray on wax mix?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I feel like people on here fret too much about paint perfection. Unless you have a show car then no one's going to notice the occasional swirl. When I see how the average person takes care of their car (non enthusiast) it's like crap. And most enthusiasts are buying said crap cared for cars and fixing them anyway. So my opinion is who cares. I take better car of my car than most, but i'm not going to baby it. it's a daily driver, it's gonna get beat.

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
I feel like people on here fret too much about paint perfection. Unless you have a show car then no one's going to notice the occasional swirl. When I see how the average person takes care of their car (non enthusiast) it's like crap. And most enthusiasts are buying said crap cared for cars and fixing them anyway. So my opinion is who cares. I take better car of my car than most, but i'm not going to baby it. it's a daily driver, it's gonna get beat.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I do believe the same way to some extent. However, come on... some people like to take care of their things and, some go above and beyond even on the little things ;) This is something to praise about not get critical and critique how people take care of "their" things about... You see it on your own car, you want to make sure its at a certain standard and, to each their own... lets not compare or judge ;)
Sponsored