How do you feel about the steering?

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A few cars I'm used to driving: 2003 Jaguar X-Type, 2002 Toyota Tacoma, 2015 Toyota Camry.

The X-Type was very nice to steer. The Tacoma is very hard like you have to put a lot of effort into the steering. The Camry I really like - it feels like you turn the wheel and it glides.

The 2016 Civic Sedan so far feels harder to turn than the Camry but obviously easier than the Tacoma. I then started to realize the steering is tighter and it seems more sporty. I saw some reviews that compared it to German car steering.

Just curious, for pedigree - how would you compare it with some higher name brand cars or more expensive luxury brands? Sports cars?
Sponsored

HachiLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2010 Infiniti G37X, 2013 Infiniti JX35, 2011 Lexus RX350
Country flag
DX2000, I would say that the 2016 Honda Civic EX-T steers like an 2010 Infiniti G (on stock wheels). The newer Infiniti Q50 steers "by-wire", and has a totally different feel based on preference set-up.

The new Honda Civic steers by electric-assist rack & pinion, and that's what you are getting. Good road feel & a more direct feedback. Nice. There is a bit a of a go-kart feel to it.

Since our Honda Civic is just days old, and in a "break-in" scenario, I have not mashed on it to see the near limits of its handling. I would be interested to see if there's any considerable torque-steer as this is a FWD with Turbo. One thing though is that the width of the tire & wheel have been ample & satisfactory, perfect & fitting as per engineering requirement. I think changing to wider-width wheels & tire would mess up the steering feel, as more "scrub radius" would be introduced.

My wife's Lexus RX350 is pretty much soft on the steering as the power-assist is on the high side for this models for ease, comfort & luxury. Too soft in my opinion, but my wife loves this. So, she finds the new Civic "a bit harder" to steer as compared to me.

calicivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 integra, 2012 benz c300, Honda civic 2016 WOP touring
the steering for me its okay after i turn off ACC and LKAS and Lane mitigation LOL.. I go HAM attacking the mountains in my area since i live on top of the mount. the steering its like my 12 Mercedes c300. but overall i love the torky feels of it.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Some tech info on the steering of the 2016 Civic from Honda:

"
Dual-Pinion, Variable Ratio Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS)
Another Civic first, the Electric Power Steering (EPS) incorporates dual pinion gears and a variable gear ratio for improved steering feel, performance and comfort that surpasses the class.

The dual pinion steering provides substantially improved feel compared to the previous-generation Civic. Compared to a traditional single-pinion steering system, the dual pinion EPS utilizes the physical steering input from the driver as well as from a supplemental electric motor. A non-contact torque sensor measures the driver's steering effort and an ECU determines how much electric motor assist to add, with the result being a seamless, natural feeling steering in all situations.

The steering ratio is variable over a 17-percent range with a final full off-center rotation ratio of 10.93:1. This provides a quick 2.2 turns lock-to-lock compared to 3.1 turns lock-to-lock for the previous Civic, significantly reducing hand movement and the steering effort required when parking or maneuvering. Also contributing to the enhanced steering performance and feel of the 2016 Civic Coupe, the steering mount stiffness is higher, and the 30mm steering column diameter (up from 22mm on the previous generation Civic) also provides greater stiffness.

Honda Civic 10th gen How do you feel about the steering? chassis-05

http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-coupe-press-kit-chassis

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So after I've driven for a while I feel like steering is harder than a Camry for sure. The Camry wheel feels like it just floats on air - you turn it and the car follows. The civic feels more tactile and rigid. It takes more force to turn the wheel. But it does feel like it has a 1:1 feel. If it is electronic is it possible to make it feel more floaty and easy to turn the wheel itself? Probably being picky here but I think that would suit me more. But is the way it feels designed to feel sporty?

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
So after I've driven for a while I feel like steering is harder than a Camry for sure. The Camry wheel feels like it just floats on air - you turn it and the car follows. The civic feels more tactile and rigid. It takes more force to turn the wheel. But it does feel like it has a 1:1 feel. If it is electronic is it possible to make it feel more floaty and easy to turn the wheel itself? Probably being picky here but I think that would suit me more. But is the way it feels designed to feel sporty?
Yes, it's designed to have more sporty and precise steering. A Camry is more like a Buick.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's light, but feels pretty natural for an electric setup. I like the quick turn-in, it makes it feel more playful. Precise, too.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like it. Its firm but not too stiff. Its a welcome change from the floaty steering in my 2013 Civic

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I love the tight feel of the steering in the civic. Makes it easier to "point and shoot" vs a lighter steering feel. The worst steering I have ever felt was in the early build 01 BMW e46's. They were seriously overboosted steering after complaints of to tight steering on the prev years. With a high backlash and complaints from customers of that model, they switched to a new rack mid year.

Stolenfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X3, 2017 C43 AMG Coupe
I recently got the touring but coming from a MB C450, the civic's steering feels a little light and floaty. The steering is still quite precise and points well but the weight and road feel is a little lacking.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I am at the dealer for the first service. For kicks, took a coupe out for a spin. I don't know if it's the tires or suspension setup or both, but man did the steering feel so much better. Tighter, better road feel. The sedan doesn't feel bad, but the coupe is something special.

Dezso3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I recently leased a 2016 Honda Civic LX sedan, and I read at least a couple of reviews of it on MotorTrend, Car and Driver, etc., and these automotive magazines describe it has having a "sporty" steering feel. Unfortunately, that has not at all been my experience with this car. Right from the get-go, the steering felt extremely loose, vague, numb, etc. Especially when I drive on the highway, it is very difficult to keep it going straight, as if I hold the steering wheel in the center, the car will slowly drift leftward, and I keep on having to correct it toward the right to keep it going straight. In other words, there is absolutely no on-center feel, so the car essentially drives like an old, beat up clunker. There is also a loud knocking noise coming from the front right wheel whenever I hit a bigger bump, and no dealership seems to be able to figure out which component is responsible for the noise. What could the problem be?

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best Honda steering ever!

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Best Honda steering ever!
Agreed.. As far as the camry thing.. I feel that car is marketed to the older crowd.. Were honda is still getting a lil bit of a enthusiast crowd.. To me all toyota cars. Not trucks feel blah in steering and throtle and well everything...

As far as what to compare it too... 20×× mini cooper type s.. Supercharged versions.. Not the turbo.. Never drove those..

I can happily call this car my second gokart on big people wheels..

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
The steering is very quick and I have mixed opinions of it overall, but i can deal with it. What I mind most is the understeer which I hope the available larger rear ARB will sort out.
Sponsored