How do spark plugs go bad on a one year old Civic.

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ever get a feeling your car dealer is Easter egging on repairs to my car. I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring. Had an accident on December 21 causing $3,700 worth of damage hitting a curb at 3 MPH. Took three weeks to get parts, mainly bumper, radiator mounts, fog lamps, & intercooler replaced. Most of the charged was for paint, no structural damage. Two weeks in body shop, car went to a different Honda dealer to have a freon charge. Car had a recall on the emergency brake, which I did not want done, but the Honda dealer went ahead and updated the car. Got car back, car would hesitate when engine was cold, and if you floored it to kick in the turbo, would have flashing engine trouble light and lose all power, forcing you to pull over and shut off engine. Even when warm gas mileage off by 6 mpg. Finally got car to throw engine trouble codes on my way back from an ACS event in Berlin NJ.

Code P2097 Post catalyst fuel trim system to rich bank 1.
Code P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4 Misfire Detected
Code P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

To make a long story short, after three tries the Honda dealer thinks it's the spark plugs, which of course they don't have and won't get in until tomorrow. Can someone tell me how in the hell spark plugs go bad on a one year old car with 14,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I doubt they are bad, especially not all of them. Given the other codes, I would say there is a problem with fuel mixture.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
It's not the plugs, that's guaranteed. It's just an electronic issue that wasn't lined out after it was fixed. Or an electronic issue they caused themselves while they were doing the other stuff. Like the supposedly e-brake update, that I've never heard of.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
It's not the plugs, that's guaranteed. It's just an electronic issue that wasn't lined out after it was fixed. Or an electronic issue they caused themselves while they were doing the other stuff. Like the supposedly e-brake update, that I've never heard of.
its a recall that affects all 1.5L

check to see if the MAF is facing the right way on the intake

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I first starting having problems with the car my Honda dealer said they found a loose vacuum hose, which they promptly fixed. The second time I went back I asked if the e-brake update was done with a loose vacuum hose could that affect the ecu. The Honda dealer said they had an code to the effect that update not complete, so they cleared the code. Whether they reapplied the e-brake update from scratch I have no idea. Now they are telling me they think it's the spark plugs. I'm not buying that, but they have the car.

What other parameters are affected when doing the e-brake update? Can a bad tank of gas cause these problems? I go to a top tier station all the time for gas. Could overfilling the gas tank cause these problems? I live in New Jersey where you can't fill your own tank and I'm in a constant battle with the attendants not to top off the tank.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Top Tier, non-Top Tier, doesn't really matter, you can get a bad tank of gas anywhere. It's possible there is a little water in the tank, but I don't know. Over filling will only cause gas to run out the neck spout, that's it.

You can't fill your own tank? That's freaking weird.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
How do you know if it is facing the right way?
for subaru it was a common mistake for a lot of people putting them backwards since the screws holes are lined up the same. I'm not sure if the civic is the same way. if it was backwards it would make the car run really rough

the plug would be facing the firewall would be the correct way

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Ever get a feeling your car dealer is Easter egging on repairs to my car. I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring. Had an accident on December 21 causing $3,700 worth of damage hitting a curb at 3 MPH. Took three weeks to get parts, mainly bumper, radiator mounts, fog lamps, & intercooler replaced. Most of the charged was for paint, no structural damage. Two weeks in body shop, car went to a different Honda dealer to have a freon charge. Car had a recall on the emergency brake, which I did not want done, but the Honda dealer went ahead and updated the car. Got car back, car would hesitate when engine was cold, and if you floored it to kick in the turbo, would have flashing engine trouble light and lose all power, forcing you to pull over and shut off engine. Even when warm gas mileage off by 6 mpg. Finally got car to throw engine trouble codes on my way back from an ACS event in Berlin NJ.

Code P2097 Post catalyst fuel trim system to rich bank 1.
Code P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 Cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4 Misfire Detected
Code P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

To make a long story short, after three tries the Honda dealer thinks it's the spark plugs, which of course they don't have and won't get in until tomorrow. Can someone tell me how in the hell spark plugs go bad on a one year old car with 14,000 miles on it.
Did the curb push in the components when you hit it ?

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Top Tier, non-Top Tier, doesn't really matter, you can get a bad tank of gas anywhere. It's possible there is a little water in the tank, but I don't know. Over filling will only cause gas to run out the neck spout, that's it.

You can't fill your own tank? That's freaking weird.
Same situation in Oregon.

organiktsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Dodge D100 slant six, 2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
maybe the hit somehow damaged the downtream o2 sensor? I didnt think it would have an effect on the fuel trim enough to cause a misfire though. Worth a quick check anyways.

I would think the o2 sensor code is more of a symptom than a cause.

Maybe a harness to the crank or cam sensor was disconnected for some reason when they did the repairs?

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Did the curb push in the components when you hit it ?
No, Car was drive able. Outside of the left side of the bumper being ripped off the left fog lamp was ripped out of its socket. In fact, the engine had no problem until I got the car back. If the car was ten or more years older I would have kept driving it the way it was.

Last edited:
OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
On one of the visits the Honda dealer had DTC pending for A/F sensor. Cleared code and ran test for A/F sensor using HDS. All four phase passed.Checked connectors for sensor saw no damage.

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just received call from Honda dealer, spark plugs replaced, still misfiring. No s***. Dealer going to wait until engine is cold then take it out while running some kind of scan on it and send the results to Honda engineers. I told the person to check the position of the MAF.
Sponsored