onix45

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x
Hello,

So i noticed, that the Civic X hatchback does not have a 'manual' mode on the cvt (at least in Europe), it just has Drive and Sport modes.
So i am assuming that once i press a paddle in any of of the driving modes, it will switch to a simulated gear, and if i don't touch the paddles for long enough it will just go back to full cvt mode?
In other words, there is no way to keep the car permanently in simulated gear mode?
Sponsored

BirchyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
How do paddle shifters work on a CVT at all? It seems counter-intuitive to me, because there's no gears (which is what you "shift")...?
My guess is that it just triggers an rpm increase or decrease simulating a shift.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Hello I have a 2017 Hatch Sport with the CVT. With the sport in "S" it has 7 different ranges that are programed to act like a "gear". The ranges are RPM ranges and it seems like Honda programed them to drop 500 to 1000 RPM when "upshifting". During the winter I generally drive around in "D" as the CVT seems to have a better ratio for driving in snow. I notice less wheel spin then what my wife has in her 2016 Focus SE Hatch with sport package and 2.0L with the Dual Clutch trans. In S mode using the paddle shifters you can simulate driving a manual transmission. You can also use the paddle shifters in D. I have only tried it a few times. So I cant tell you much about that. It seems to act like moving the shifter on an automatic trans with gears, from drive to third to 2nd and vice versa.

AegeanKing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
There are pre programmed “gears” the CVT will emulate by moving the sheaves in steps so that it feels like you are rowing through gears. It’s a bit slower than an automatic as moving the sheaves quicker would compromise the integrity of the belt and require a lot of fluid pressure.

I haven’t been inside a hatch, but I imagine that there is a reset timer or sensor that detects when you are not using the paddles and to use its programmed sport settings for better torque instead of emulating the gears. Only way to know is to get in one and find out unless someone else knows this for sure.

Gm52380

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hello I have a 2017 Hatch Sport with the CVT. With the sport in "S" it has 7 different ranges that are programed to act like a "gear". The ranges are RPM ranges and it seems like Honda programed them to drop 500 to 1000 RPM when "upshifting". During the winter I generally drive around in "D" as the CVT seems to have a better ratio for driving in snow. I notice less wheel spin then what my wife has in her 2016 Focus SE Hatch with sport package and 2.0L with the Dual Clutch trans. In S mode using the paddle shifters you can simulate driving a manual transmission. You can also use the paddle shifters in D. I have only tried it a few times. So I cant tell you much about that. It seems to act like moving the shifter on an automatic trans with gears, from drive to third to 2nd and vice versa.
Using the paddles when in "D" come in handy when you want to downshift, such as passing someone, or for a little fun merging into traffic. I've also used them on an offramp or onramp. My previous Civic was a manual, so it's nice at times to have the option to "drop a gear" for a bit of excitement. If you keep your foot in it, it will hold the gear until the CVT senses that it is no longer needed to stay in that "gear"

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What models have the paddle shifters? When I started looking at civics,the 2015 had them on the regular coupe, then they were gone with the 2016 model.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What models have the paddle shifters? When I started looking at civics,the 2015 had them on the regular coupe, then they were gone with the 2016 model.
It varies from market to market. In the US the hatch Sport and hatch Sport Touring have them. In Canada I think the turbo coupes come with them as well. The US always seems to get screwed on features.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I was pleasantly surprised how quick they actuate the shifts. with every other manual-like mode automatic trans that I've ever driven, you tell it to change gear and it will change when it's good and ready (probably 1.5 seconds)

The civic CVT just changes, takes maybe half a second. pretty neat.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In "manual mode", there are 7 fixed ratios on the CVT that you can select between with the paddle shifters. These are the simulated gears. It won't let you over-rev up or down and will automatically "shift" when approaching redline or decelerating.

In "D" mode, it will hold the selected gear only for a short duration and will then revert back to CVT mode. It will, however, hold your selected ratio when going downhill for engine braking, until it senses that you are clear of the downhill.

In "S" mode, it will hold your selected ratio indefinitely unless it approaches redline or when decelerating.

In either "D" or "S" mode, if you hold the upshift paddle for 2-3 seconds, it will cancel manual mode and switch back to CVT mode.

For all intents and purposes, leaving it in CVT mode is not only more efficient, it will also allow for faster acceleration when required. The only real use for the paddles is engine braking as there is no "L" in models with paddle shifters.

duraz0rz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Grey
Country flag
The only real use for the paddles is engine braking as there is no "L" in models with paddle shifters.
I consider the "S" mode the fun mode, where you can shift at will. "D" is more for daily driving or when you want the most fuel efficiency.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
In either "D" or "S" mode, if you hold the upshift paddle for 2-3 seconds, it will cancel manual mode and switch back to CVT mode.
I already knew everything you said except for this ^^^^

That's great! No more pushing the lever from S to D and back to S again to cancel out of manual mode. Guess I didn't read the owner's manual closely enough.

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I was test driving, I got to try out what was my at-the-time dream configuration (Metallic Grey Sport hatch) And I had tried the paddles, but they just seemed to not be as responsive as that I was hoping for. More TLX than NSX.

Now that center exhaust did look good...

Shinkansen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport, 2004 PT Cruiser woody, 2015 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually leave it in D and use the paddles to drop down to “4” to engine brake on off ramps. S isfun on a back road or merging onto the fairly empty freeway. S seems to let it run at a couple hundred higher rpm. Seems to sound cooler, too, in S. Kills fuel economy, but why have the Sport if not for a little fun?
Sponsored