How come people pick the HB over a GTI?

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
While researching the Type R and Si, I took a look at the HB Sport Touring and wondered when compared to the GTI Autobahm trim why people pick the Civic? Isn’t the GTI a better driving car for a few thousand more?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn’t the GTI a better driving car for a few thousand more?
Unless you love Honda's or Civics... if you're buying either new... I'd say yes. In 5-10 years in the used market... if the current GTIs age like milk, maybe the Civic would get the nod. I think the GTI would be the better/nicer car to own, day to day. At the very least, someone would be making a mistake to not comparison shop the GTI.

Just my opinion.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I don't fit this situation 1 to 1 but I'm close enough I think. The base GTI was on my list when car shopping. In fact it was at the top with the Mazda 3 below it and the Civic just below that. There were new '18 GTI models going for just under $25k but the salesman gave me the impression that his particular dealership didn't offer much on trades so I moved on. Mazda was the same way so when I went to Honda I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked the Civic. Almost took a look at a coupe but stuck with my plan to get a hatch and got a Sport. Honda were the ones to make me a good deal and earned my business.

So, for me, it wasn't that I disliked what the GTI offered it's just that Honda were actually interested in selling me a car.

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GTI is a great track car. Not a great DD compared to the Civic platform given the number of people with issues after relatively short term ownership and cost of repair.

They sure do take added power well though .I've seen some seriously quick GTIs with just a tune and minimal bolt ons .

First Name
Saïd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
While researching the Type R and Si, I took a look at the HB Sport Touring and wondered when compared to the GTI Autobahm trim why people pick the Civic? Isn’t the GTI a better driving car for a few thousand more?
I would say the GTI's rival is the Civic Si, the Sport Touring's rival is the the top trim level of the normal VW Golf.

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say the GTI's rival is the Civic Si, the Sport Touring's rival is the the top trim level of the normal VW Golf.
I shopped around and was in the price range of HB Sport 6MT. A used GTI was on my radar but I didn’t want to deal with maintenance and repair costs. If I wanted a comparable machine, I would’ve went Si, but I wanted HB :)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I shopped the GTI as well. Nice solid machine. Personally, two things took it off my radar. One, it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. And two, I felt much more cramped in the driver's seat. Since that's where I spend my time, the Civic won out for comfort. Ultimately, I chose the sedan over the hatchback.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
The only reason to pick a civic hb instead of a GTI is the price... and maybe the reliability but i’m not so impress with the 10th gen civic

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Never considered the GTI when I shopped for my Hatchback, I kept it internal between the hatch, the sedan and CRV. Got a deal I couldn't refuse on my hatch :)

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I loved my last VW and have had GTi's before. While I was shopping GTI vs Si, I liked the GTI, but as mentioned, after nearly 20 years of VW ownership I wanted to try something else.

IMHO, the GTI is a much more solid and composed car. More refined. The Si in comparison is "spunkier". Maybe not better, but fit my wants more this time around.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The GTI is a great track car. Not a great DD compared to the Civic platform given the number of people with issues after relatively short term ownership and cost of repair.

They sure do take added power well though .I've seen some seriously quick GTIs with just a tune and minimal bolt ons .
It's actually the opposite, GTI's are known for being amazing daily drivers because of their relatively upscale interior and balance of comfort and performance. Not to mention like you said that the GTI makes serious power with just a tune and boltons being enough for it to spank a CTR in a straight line. Sure the Honda may last a little longer but as a person who likes to change cars every 4-5 years, i'd pick the GTI all day if I were in the market for a sporty hatchback. Also, GTI offers a DCT over the Civic's CVT for people who dont want to or cant drive manual.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Looking at the MSRP's for both '19 automatic (I love MT, but don't want it now) Civic HB Sport Touring vs. WV Golf GTi Autobahn, I would need to pay $8,320 more.

I would not pay this price for this car, but it can be very attractive to its market. The VW hatch was never even on my radar. The exterior is too hatchy and boring, compact car -looking for me. Also the AT is a DCT, which I wouldn't buy. But I'm sure it drives/handles significantly better than the civicx sport hatch.

Above all, while it's a great new car, I don't trust VW engineering long term.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had a few buddies with a APR tune GTI. It's very little money for 300 whp+ on a tune on an otherwise stock car.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Remember... they have a 2.0L engine with much bigger stock turbo... which I think is/was a TD04. You're basically looking at something size-wise more like the K20C1 as a starting point... detuned to more like our hotter L15B7s. If you want cheap speed, getting the version that comes with a LSD that I think MSRPs for around 27k and can be had for less is a pretty good bargain. As a new or CPO car with a good warranty, they really are a good buy and worth a comparison shop.

I've never owned one and will likely get one before I kick the bucket. At the time, I'll probably roll the dice and get a well used one that isn't worth a whole lot. I think they sill used timing belts and somewhere around Mk5-Mk7 they went to chains and they seem to have had similar headroom for a few generations for minimal money. The 2020's were touted as having 250 hp stock.

If you genuinely choose a Civic over a GTI/Golf... it's a good upcheck for the Civic, as the GTI/Golf really is a pretty good car. Between the Civic/RSX/Whatever-replaced-the-RSX they've been trading blows for a long time. Remember, the GTI is more of an Si-plus at this point. A Sport Hatch is more directly comparable to a standard Golf.
Sponsored