How can brake hold be used to hill start 1st/reverse on the Si?

jjm0315

Maximum effort
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Following, because I haven’t used brake hold yet. My boyfriend suggested I learn to handle hills without it, then use it as a luxury lol. I agree with his logic so I’ve not tried it.
Sponsored

shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2004 WRX STi, & 2019 Honda HRV EX
Country flag
Sounds like you're releasing the clutch too early. The brake hold is going to release once the car rolls. Bring the clutch to the bite point, blip the throttle and keep the gas and clutch at the biting point till you start moving. Especially on a hill, as you have to let it bite more.

I also do notice, whenever I use brake hold. It takes a little longer for engagement from a stop. Maybe it's from the brake hold system itself.
I've noticed when I use it that there seems to be about a two to three second delay when I come to a stop as well.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I nearly stalled since on a hill I EXPECTED to roll backwards and ended up giving WAY too much gas. I do not need a nanny and would prefer to not have the feature. It messes me up ... I am old school 52. Back in 1987 you had to have your shit together to not end up on the bumper behind you! LOL 1987 was a great year. Guns and Roses were NEW my friend. ... AHHHHH the summer of 1987!

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
The technique should be no different than if you were using an old school handbrake to hold you in place on a steep hill.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Correct ... but if you feel the car and the car feels you ... you NEVER need the hand break on a steep hill. Think "bird box" ... just ask any racer winning is winning - it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. I live my life a quarter mile at a time ...

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Correct ... but if you feel the car and the car feels you ... you NEVER need the hand break on a steep hill. Think "bird box" ... just ask any racer winning is winning - it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. I live my life a quarter mile at a time ...
Bro what ahaha. Sitting here in my car waiting for someone and this has me dying with laughter and confusion

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Brake hold is different than hill hold. Regardless of you having brake hold enabled, if you are on an incline at a stop w/ the clutch in, the car will engage the brakes until you release the clutch.

edit: not sure if hill hold engages when in reverse
Also are you in gear while doing this?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Wow, a bunch of driving lessons need here...Brake hold releases at 70% clutch engagement with throttle. I don't need it,been driving stick for over 30 years but it really does help if you don't know what you are doing.

Best advise is practice, practice, practice. Works going forward or reverse no problem. Try it out uphill and downhill. There really is no better teacher than experience. I had to learn the hard way with using the parking brake. The Honda assists make it so easy!

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
just take off as you normally would from a stop. 2-2.5 is a lot of revs kinda. Is this how you always take off even from a stop light? I wonder how many owners are doing the same. It’s not good for a clutch disk
Oh shoot I didn't know this. How many revs should I be giving from a stoplight? Like 1500?

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
umm, brake hold doesn’t engage with the seatbelt off bro. And it only disengages when wheels begin to roll due to acceleration.
I am not talking about engaging the system with the buckle. This is just an observation of something odd my car does- and the other cars may do it, too.

I did it on Friday just to make sure I wasn't posting bad info. The car will brake hold for 1 second- then let go. It is the strangest thing but I did it multiple times. Steps to follow:

After driving the car around (brake hold not engaged, no light on the dash), Come to a stop on a slight incline-for me it was a driveway. So at this point the car in in Neutral and you'll have the foot on the brake. Take the seat belt off (as one may do in their driveway), push the clutch to to the floor, move to gear 1 and take foot off the brake-clutch still on the floor. At this point, the car should star rolling back but it doesn't. It will hold there for 1 second then let go.

Listen, I know it sounds strange but that is what happens. I can post a video if needed or you can try it for yourself. I have already done it so I know this to be true.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Yes it does. Don't confuse brake hold with hill hold.
I think the civic has just the brake hold feature and is not a hill assist, if I’m not mistaken. If I am wrong, how do you engage hill assist?

Last edited: