How can brake hold be used to hill start 1st/reverse on the Si?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Wait so on a hill the car doesn't roll back if the clutch is in? How come?
Hill assist. Most MT cars have this as standard now. Be aware that it disengages as soon as you start to release the clutch pedal, not when the clutch starts to engage.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Guess I should clarify then. I didn't sit there too long w/ my foot off the brake. Just a couple seconds before giving it some gas and releasing the clutch. I'll check later to see how long hill hold stays engaged.
Please share your findings with us after you investigate haha

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Please share your findings with us after you investigate haha
So hill hold does disengage after a few seconds if you don't let out the clutch.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
So hill hold does disengage after a few seconds if you don't let out the clutch.
Man I tried brake hold a couple times today and both times I bucked the car pretty hard for a couple seconds. I'm not sure I'm using it correctly but basically I have it on then I let off the clutch to the biting point and give it revs to about 2k to 2.5k RPM and it does that then stalls :/ This was on a flat road as well if that helps, no incline.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Man I tried brake hold a couple times today and both times I bucked the car pretty hard for a couple seconds. I'm not sure I'm using it correctly but basically I have it on then I let off the clutch to the biting point and give it revs to about 2k to 2.5k RPM and it does that then stalls :/ This was on a flat road as well if that helps, no incline.
That does not sound right. I use brake hold quite a bit and it's no different from just using the brakes normally for me. A bit of gas and let out the clutch and off I go

Statty

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe
Country flag
Sounds like you're releasing the clutch too early. The brake hold is going to release once the car rolls. Bring the clutch to the bite point, blip the throttle and keep the gas and clutch at the biting point till you start moving. Especially on a hill, as you have to let it bite more.

I also do notice, whenever I use brake hold. It takes a little longer for engagement from a stop. Maybe it's from the brake hold system itself.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
That does not sound right. I use brake hold quite a bit and it's no different from just using the brakes normally for me. A bit of gas and let out the clutch and off I go
Interesting, I'll try again tonight and report back. Thanks for the help guys

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Sounds like you're releasing the clutch too early. The brake hold is going to release once the car rolls. Bring the clutch to the bite point, blip the throttle and keep the gas and clutch at the biting point till you start moving. Especially on a hill, as you have to let it bite more.

I also do notice, whenever I use brake hold. It takes a little longer for engagement from a stop. Maybe it's from the brake hold system itself.
This might be it, I've been having some problems with clutch control from stops. I'll try this later today and report back. Thank you for the help.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait so on a hill the car doesn't roll back if the clutch is in? How come?
The car's computer does a lot of 'if-thans'. I live in Phoenix and our 1 hill is far away so I don't use the hill assist/break hold function often but it is good to have. Fun Fact, the car will do the break hold/hill assist if you clutch is in and seat belt is off. I found this out moving up the slightly inclined driveway.

So, if you notice it isn't rolling while you are just shifting it around the parking lot it is because you don't have your belt on.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Gotta love hill assist. I learned to drive manual in San Francisco with ZERO assist, even with that experience, I am grateful the Si has this feature. I remember when it was on only higher-end cars like BMWs, then trickled down to Mini Coopers.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
The car's computer does a lot of 'if-thans'. I live in Phoenix and our 1 hill is far away so I don't use the hill assist/break hold function often but it is good to have. Fun Fact, the car will do the break hold/hill assist if you clutch is in and seat belt is off. I found this out moving up the slightly inclined driveway.

So, if you notice it isn't rolling while you are just shifting it around the parking lot it is because you don't have your belt on.
I don’t think you are using breakhold. Sounds like you are in the sweet spot of your clutch or catch point and using that to hold the car. Don’t do that on a hill

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think you are using breakhold. Sounds like you are in the sweet spot of your clutch or catch point and using that to hold the car. Don’t do that on a hill
Thanks but that is not the case. I am talking about fully depressing the clutch. Without breaks on, the car should roll back. However, if the seat belt is off, the car will remain stationary. All of this is done with breakhold off. The car will roll if the seat belt is on.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Thanks but that is not the case. I am talking about fully depressing the clutch. Without breaks on, the car should roll back. However, if the seat belt is off, the car will remain stationary. All of this is done with breakhold off. The car will roll if the seat belt is on.
umm, brake hold doesn’t engage with the seatbelt off bro. And it only disengages when wheels begin to roll due to acceleration.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
If you take off your seat belt while brake hold is engaged, your parking brake kicks in. So could you shoot a simple video of what you are claiming happens as I am pretty sure it doesn’t work the way you’re speaking of

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
just take off as you normally would from a stop. 2-2.5 is a lot of revs kinda. Is this how you always take off even from a stop light? I wonder how many owners are doing the same. It’s not good for a clutch disk
Sponsored