Houston

onilink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92' NSX, 16' Civic, 18' CRV
Country flag
I'm in the market for a Type-R as my next daily when my current 2016 Civic lease ends in a few months. Cross shopping a few cars for my next daily but the Type-R is very appealing. I tried few times to test at Gilman Honda but they didn't let me, only let me drive their Civic SI.. Pretty disappointing considering I was able to test drive the 2017 NSX at Sterling Mccall down the street lol.

Anyone in the Sugar Land/Richmond area willing to let me test drive their Type Rs? Hit me up on PM.
Sponsored

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in the market for a Type-R as my next daily when my current 2016 Civic lease ends in a few months. Cross shopping a few cars for my next daily but the Type-R is very appealing. I tried few times to test at Gilman Honda but they didn't let me, only let me drive their Civic SI.. Pretty disappointing considering I was able to test drive the 2017 NSX at Sterling Mccall down the street lol.

Anyone in the Sugar Land/Richmond area willing to let me test drive their Type Rs? Hit me up on PM.
I work in SL. PM sent.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I dunno what's the chances of us seeing a Type-R with an auto tranny in the next few years ?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dunno what's the chances of us seeing a Type-R with an auto tranny in the next few years ?
Slim to none. Honda is one of the few purists that still like to put manuals in cars even though most DC and auto transmissions shift faster. Have you ever seen an auto Si from the factory?

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
None. Honda has never put an automatic in an R vehicle and I double they will unless it's a dual-clutch. But a dual-clutch is too expensive and heavy according to the CTR's chief designer/engineer.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
None. Honda has never put an automatic in an R vehicle and I double they will unless it's a dual-clutch. But a dual-clutch is too expensive and heavy according to the CTR's chief designer/engineer.
I presume that the Honda company is an astute corporation that responds to the needs & wishs of its customers and potential customers so I suspect they might offer that option in the future if the demand for such a product is present?
I've owned quite a few sticks in the past, both cars & trucks, but I've gotten older and a little lazy I guess and just don't get the kick out of manually shifting that I use to but I still place a high pemium on performance.
My little Sport HB has that 180 HP turbo and it's fairly snappy but I'd love to have 300 horses under the hood instead, wow and I'm ready to pay for it. So I strongly suspect that Honda is more interested in profits than tradition. So we'll see, time will tell ?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I presume that the Honda company is an astute corporation that responds to the needs & wishs of its customers and potential customers so I suspect they might offer that option in the future if the demand for such a product is present?
I've owned quite a few sticks in the past, both cars & trucks, but I've gotten older and a little lazy I guess and just don't get the kick out of manually shifting that I use to but I still place a high pemium on performance.
My little Sport HB has that 180 HP turbo and it's fairly snappy but I'd love to have 300 horses under the hood instead, wow and I'm ready to pay for it. So I strongly suspect that Honda is more interested in profits than tradition. So we'll see, time will tell ?
I still really doubt it will happen. Of course automatics and DCT has reached the point of more efficient and fast shifting; it was inevitable. At least in the US market, we are still buying manuals and majority of enthusiasts want to keep the manual transmission alive. Sales across different manufacturers show this.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I still really doubt it will happen. Of course automatics and DCT has reached the point of more efficient and fast shifting; it was inevitable. At least in the US market, we are still buying manuals and majority of enthusiasts want to keep the manual transmission alive. Sales across different manufacturers show this.
I'm not saying Honda should replace manuals but rather offer both options of the stick and automatic tranny to customers.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I'm not saying Honda should replace manuals but rather offer both options of the stick and automatic tranny to customers.
They're not going to offer both, sorry man. They'd have to develop a whole new transmission and then spend millions to certify it in Europe, Asia and North America which all have different standards. All for a limited-run vehicle. They'd never see a positive return on that. They could maybe offer the Accord's 8-speed automatic but, again, limited production vehicle and Honda would have to spend millions to certify that transmission in the Civic.

TypeRLEDs

#1 Source for 10thgen LEDs
Threads
Reaction score
Website
TypeRLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone. There is a Texas wide meet coming up in September 15th Saturday. It's held in San Antonio.

More details soon. Please comment if you're interested so we may plan a convoy .

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
They're not going to offer both, sorry man. They'd have to develop a whole new transmission and then spend millions to certify it in Europe, Asia and North America which all have different standards. All for a limited-run vehicle. They'd never see a positive return on that. They could maybe offer the Accord's 8-speed automatic but, again, limited production vehicle and Honda would have to spend millions to certify that transmission in the Civic.
Hey man surely you must realize that Honda is a multi-billion dollar company and any cost/expenses measured in millions are immaterial or practrically petty cash to them.
Lexus, BMW,Jaguar,Infinity, etc. all have smaller cars like the Civic which feature large engines with automatic transmissions ?
Puzzled why you think it's such a high hurdle for Honda, technologically or financially ?

AREA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats up guys! New 18 SI coupe owner here from Houston. Not new to Hondas been working on them and modding them since the 90's. Just wanted to say whats up!

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats up guys! New 18 SI coupe owner here from Houston. Not new to Hondas been working on them and modding them since the 90's. Just wanted to say whats up!
Hey Chris! We need to put together a Houston Honda meet up sometime.

AREA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Chris! We need to put together a Houston Honda meet up sometime.
Yeah man I am down. I have a bunch of stuff coming in this week to put on my car so it stands out a little lol
Sponsored