1.5T Horrible exhaust note with Megan Racing catless downpipe and stock resonator delete.

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Title says it all, threw on a Megan Racing catless downpipe for some faster turbo spool, I already had the stock resonator removed off the car. After throwing the downpipe on, the exhaust note is just atrocious, horrible rasp at any RPM between 2k and 5k, not throaty at all, sounds like a fart can on a single jingle D series. What'd be the best way to remove the rasp? I was thinking muffler delete and get an aftermarket resonator, what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I know the hatchback has lots of options but curious in general to see what has been working for everyone. I know the 1.5T's exhaust note has not yet been perfected and different combos yield different results.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know the hatchback has lots of options but curious in general to see what has been working for everyone. I know the 1.5T's exhaust note has not yet been perfected and different combos yield different results.
Well I can tell you what combo doesn't work! This note might be somebody's thing, but it's not for me. You can actually hear the exhaust shockwave smack the rear of the reverse flow mufflers and rattle the entire system, it honestly sounds like a tin can if you try to hold a gear above 4k.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I know the fkx fp/dp plus greddy exhaust has been a proven combo on the hatch. The greddy comes with a resonator that is matched to the frequencies (sound wise) of the muffler.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I'm looking at the Greddy SP, I don't want to commit to a full cat back though. I have a shop a few blocks away from my house that might be able to work out a custom solution for cheap, but I want to go to them with an idea of what to do. It's pretty expensive to remove the mufflers, (Thank you Honda for the ever so nice oval shaped S bend into the mufflers, makes most shops run away) so depending what I get quoted I might just buy the Greddy.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I'm looking at the Greddy SP, I don't want to commit to a full cat back though. I have a shop a few blocks away from my house that might be able to work out a custom solution for cheap, but I want to go to them with an idea of what to do. It's pretty expensive to remove the mufflers, (Thank you Honda for the ever so nice oval shaped S bend into the mufflers, makes most shops run away) so depending what I get quoted I might just buy the Greddy.
The Greddy hatchback sport exhaust does not have a resonator and sounds TERRIBLE with a catless downpipe.

OP, you need a resonator, one way or another.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Greddy hatchback sport exhaust does not have a resonator and sounds TERRIBLE with a catless downpipe.

Can you recommend a resonator that will cut the rasp without quieting it down too much?

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
I personally just deleted the resonator and welded the Megan's racing MDT muffler on and it sounds good. You got me nervous tho because I have their front pipe and down pipe but haven't had a chance to put it on yet...

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you recommend a resonator that will cut the rasp without quieting it down too much?
I’d try the Vibrant Ultra Quiet. I don’t think it would be too quiet, regardless of the name.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally just deleted the resonator and welded the Megan's racing MDT muffler on and it sounds good. You got me nervous tho because I have their front pipe and down pipe but haven't had a chance to put it on yet...
I think stock reverse flow mufflers are the biggest issue in terms of sound with this setup, I can't say for sure, but I'd put money on a canister style muffler sounding better than stock.

I’d try the Vibrant Ultra Quiet. I don’t think it would be too quiet, regardless of the name.
Thanks for the tip, I spoke with my shop and for now I'm gonna go full straight pipe, I'll keep the vibrant in mind if full straight is too loud for my tastes.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm only posting this so there's *something* on the internet demonstrating how bad this setup sounds. It's embarrassing.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag

I disagree with this. I’m running prl Catless with greddy, I think it sounds great. I’ve heard shitty setups before.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I disagree with this. I’m running prl Catless with greddy, I think it sounds great. I’ve heard shitty setups before.
The problem I had was rasp. Regardless, glad to hear you did not have to take yours off and sell it like I did. :)

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
It’s just an overpriced glasspack. And it’s not ultra quiet in the least.

I personally use a flowmaster dbx, flowmaster super hp2, and a 12” glasspack with my catless downpipe. Zero rasp/drone, and is quiet below 3k rpm’s and very loud between 5-7k. Would probably work very well on a 1.5t.
Sponsored