Honest reliability from Type-R owners.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Well, I pulled the trigger. 1k under MSRP, and waived accessories. Special thanks to mbach for the tip and insight. In love with it already.

20200119_112346.jpg
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEah boy!!!! Enjoy!

Killer color btw - though I'm not partial at all lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Galaxythief

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Nice! Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? I am also in Charlotte.
Sure. Honda of Concord. Nick A. I've got his last name in some emails somewhere, but theres only 1 Nick A there. Get with member "mbach" as hes had more experience with them as a dealership and know Nick better. But Nick was first class all the way. There was some back and forth, but I could tell they really wanted to move it. Be great if he could reap the benefits of being a good dude with a few word of mouth sales.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just curious, what leads you to think the TOB is going bad?

With the engine running, do you hear a slight whirring/whine/squeal noise in neutral with the clutch out but goes away when the clutch is in?
I'm also interested in the TOB going bad, as I previously had a 370Z which are notorious for the CSC going out, but mine was at 75K when I traded it with no leaks, etc.
So, I was hoping that this TOB only setup was going to be more robust than the hydraulic CSC. Changing the slave cylinder would be simple but changing that TOB would be a massive PITA.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I get the occasional 1st to 2nd gear grind. I'm hoping a Hybrid short shifter will help remedy the issue. I also was getting 1st gear lockouts once in a while, but haven't experienced it for some time now. Car has close to 1,700 mi on it.

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
Just curious, what leads you to think the TOB is going bad?

With the engine running, do you hear a slight whirring/whine/squeal noise in neutral with the clutch out but goes away when the clutch is in?
After driving long enough for the trans to be hot (~30 minutes of in traffic driving, commuting to work) each time I press the clutch in, the last 3/4 of the depression makes a squeaking or creaking noise from within the engine bay, toward the firewall/top of the trans where the selector forks are.

It might be the TOB or it might just need some lubricant. I've inspected the slave cylinder and everything seems to be in order. We'll see what the dealer says in spring when it warms up again and gets easier to reproduce.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
After driving long enough for the trans to be hot (~30 minutes of in traffic driving, commuting to work) each time I press the clutch in, the last 3/4 of the depression makes a squeaking or creaking noise from within the engine bay, toward the firewall/top of the trans where the selector forks are.

It might be the TOB or it might just need some lubricant. I've inspected the slave cylinder and everything seems to be in order. We'll see what the dealer says in spring when it warms up again and gets easier to reproduce.
If the squeak is only when you press it, most likely you have to grease the clutch fork pivot point where the slave cylinder pushes against it. I just took a look at mine and it's pretty dirty from grime accumulating on the grease from the factory but no squeak yet.
Sponsored