FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Also, the accord 2.0 block is aluminium with piston sleeves (CTR’s is iron) and yes different pistons. I believe they are specific to fuel efficiency.

The rods and crank are forged but not sure how different they are. I’ll try to find the honda release which states that.

Everything else sounds right.

the turbo is smaller, but you can slap the CTR turbo on it and Hondata has a tune for it.

you can also put the CTR lsd in the accord 2.0 turbo if you make sure to replace the oil pump gear with the CTR’s.

the engine will easily hold 300+ horsepower, and produces decent torque.

manuals can get a stage 3 tune
The 10 speed AT is stuck at stage 2
No need to. I’ve already compared diagrams and part numbers from Honda.

The R doesn’t have an iron block, the blocks are both aluminum and are the same part number. The Rs rods are forged however the crank is the same as the Accord again sharing the same part number. To my knowledge the oil pumps can’t be swapped because it’s a completely different setup due to the balancer shaft being integrated into the oil pump on the Accord. Tuning will also be different because the air temp sensors are in different locations. The Rs temp sensor is after the intercooler whereas it’s on the intake piping.

It’s not a simple ‘detuned’ R motor that everyone states. The Accord’s 2.0 will never be equal to the R motor no matter what’s done to it.
Sponsored

kilo959

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R; 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Country flag
No need to. I’ve already compared diagrams and part numbers from Honda.

The R doesn’t have an iron block, the blocks are both aluminum and are the same part number. The Rs rods are forged however the crank is the same as the Accord again sharing the same part number. To my knowledge the oil pumps can’t be swapped because it’s a completely different setup due to the balancer shaft being integrated into the oil pump on the Accord. Tuning will also be different because the air temp sensors are in different locations. The Rs temp sensor is after the intercooler whereas it’s on the intake piping.

It’s not a simple ‘detuned’ R motor that everyone states. The Accord’s 2.0 will never be equal to the R motor no matter what’s done to it.
You are correct on the block, my bad!

I wouldn’t use the word detuned either, it was manufactured with completely different use in mind.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good evening guys, Im new here obviously. Ive been lurking on the Issues/repairs thread for a few months, and have read some of the issues. Grind, valve cover leaking, over heating etc... How widespread are these issues??? I currently drive a 9.5 gen 6-6 Accord. To me its the perfect daily, 47k miles no issues whatsoever. I do want the Type-R, in a perfect world Id wait until my Accord is paid off and get it as a "fun" car. But Im also impulsive and theres always 1 sitting at my dealer. Theve said theyre willing to move it for MSRP, no dealer add ons and its tempting. But the issues are concerning considering my Accord is rock solid. So... How high are the chances that any Type-R will have any of these issues???
Mine had the valve cover leak, which I fixed by tightening the bolts. Other than that an A/C oring was pinched from the factory and the dealer took care of it. 44k miles so far without issues.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
23k miles and zeros issues

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
I'm just about at 52k miles. Throw out bearing seems to be starting to go in my trans. Hoping I can get that replaced for free by the dealer under the 60k powertrain warranty and just foot the bill for a new clutch while the trans is out. I've done all the maintenance myself, including oil change, trans fluid, brake and clutch fluid and also brake pads. Next services are going to be expensive with new spark plugs and new brake pads + discs.

Wheels and tires I've gotten at Discount Tire and I've had a good experience there. 9 mo interest free payments on a set of Pilot Sport 4S tires makes it so you don't have to fork out the 1200 when you're not expecting it. I take my car back every 5k miles for a free rotation and inspection on DT's dime. I recommend always getting tires that can be cross-rotated with this car. Otherwise you will experience extreme feathering due to it being a FWD car with aggressive suspension geometry.

Jasonh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayenne, FRS, M3
Country flag
I had a loose rear pitch mount bolt and buzzing tweeters. Car has about 1,900mi.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Here's a list of issues I've had on my car since I got it. This 2018 CTR is currently running at 37k miles on it:
  • 2nd gear grind: 1k-15k miles, hasn't happened since about 15k miles. It may be linked to putting the car into gear before clutch pedal is not completely pressed in.
  • 4th gear lockout: 1k-15k miles, hasn't happened since 15k miles.
  • Reverse lockout: 0-7k miles, hasn't happened since 7k miles.
  • Apple CarPlay issues: 1k miles. iPhone would randomly disconnect from infotainment within 15 minutes of connecting to the car. Restarting the infotainment was a temporary fix for the issue, but could occur multiple times during a single drive. Firmware was updated on the infotainment system under warranty.
  • Shifter threads stripped: 34k miles. It's highly likely that the shifter was stripped the second the stock shift knob was put on the car as it doesn't fit my new shifter. I didn't notice this at first, but it slowly became a problem, locking shift knob nut could not be removed from shifter due to it being stripped. Was not replaced under warranty since I felt (at the time that I might possibly be at fault). Cost of repair was about 350 USD (including labor as I didn't want to strip out my interior during the winter on my daily).
  • Shift knob threads stripped: 34k miles. Shift knob that came with the car no longer fit new shifter after installation. I suspect this to be due to it being stripped itself from factory possibly. I haven't replaced it since I found out it no longer fit after the warranty expired.
  • Seat bolster tearing: 20k miles. Alcantera seat bolsters tore over time. Since my car was a show car (Chicago Auto Show 2018) it may have accelerated the damage. This part was replaced under warranty.
  • Clutch pedal click: 20k miles. Clutch pedal began clicking on pedal release. This was diagnosed as a bad master clutch cylinder and the part was replaced under warranty.
  • Steering wheel leather pealing: 32k miles. Steering wheel's leather began tearing right around where my left hand sits on the wheel at the 9 o'clock position. I'm uncertain if the fact that the car was used in display at the Chicago Autoshow accelerated wear and tear. It is generally considered a wear item on the car, but was replaced under warranty as a good will gesture.
So I've had a few fun run ins with my CTR in the short time I've had it. Still one of the funnest cars I've had the pleasure of owning and wouldn't change it for anything. Part of the issues I've had could be related to the fact that it was a display vehicle for the 2018 Chicago Autoshow.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Here's a list of issues I've had on my car since I got it. This 2018 CTR is currently running at 37k miles on it.
I dont doubt the interior wear issues were at least partially due to it being on the show floor.

When i went to the LA auto show a benz i was checking out with white leather seats was already black with dirt. I cant imagine all the butts that were in that seat to make it that dark.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just hit 25K miles, here's a roundup of my issues:

• 2nd gear problems, mainly notchiness and as of recent, full on lockouts. I've had 2 in the previous day and 3 today. Will be monitoring to see if any more occur. Seems to happen at low RPM shifts.
  • A few rattles have developed, one that's kind of annoying is a persistent one that is audible when certain songs play, it comes from the near the A-pillar on the driver side.
  • Some of the material on the wheel looks to be peeling.

I've had no infotainment issues, and most everything that isn't cosmetic on the body (paint, panel gaps, etc) is also good.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm just about at 52k miles. Throw out bearing seems to be starting to go in my trans. Hoping I can get that replaced for free by the dealer under the 60k powertrain warranty and just foot the bill for a new clutch while the trans is out.
Just curious, what leads you to think the TOB is going bad?

With the engine running, do you hear a slight whirring/whine/squeal noise in neutral with the clutch out but goes away when the clutch is in?