Honest reliability from Type-R owners.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
5k miles and the only issue I had was the A/C didn't work from delivery (compressor housing was cracked from the factory - 5 hour fix).

A couple of grinds due to being lazy/poorly timing clutch, but those are on me.

Car came close to overheating on a 95F track day (ambient air temp, track temp well into the 110-120F range), but I was able to run the heater on full blast to stave it off. Brakes were fine but I shredded the front right tire.

It's a Honda, it's super reliable and ridiculously cheap to maintain.

OP
OP
Galaxythief

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Going slightly against the grain here. One year and almost 9K miles so far. Zero issues. Transmission is butter.

I don’t intend to cast shade or hate on your Accord, but that’s not a car I could ever drive. I feel like this is a massive upgrade in every way possible.

Handling and braking in completely another league, track ready, hatchback practicality, exceptional resale value, Honda reliability.

If you value sporty drivers cars tingling with precision and verve, trade that soulless, baked beans Accord in the second the dealership opens tomorrow morning!
While I completely understand what the Type-R is, and value what it brings. I do plan to have one in the garage, even if its the number 2,

I wholeheartedly disagree on a 6-6 Accord being soulless and boring. No its not track ready in the least, but quick in a straight line (was neck and neck with the few Type-Rs Ive raced.) Doesnt handle like a boat, but it does under-steer like all FWD cars. This can be mitigated somewhat with proper trail braking. The J35 sounds fantastic and I can wipe smug grins off most non sports cars on the road with a quick 6th to 4th downshift on a highway. RT Charengers are among my favs. I appreciate your opinion nonetheless.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The K20C is a complete redesign and shares nothing with previous K series motors.
Dammit, you're right!

Gah, Honda has done it yet again- used the same letter to describe an engine, even though it's completely different than the rest. Annoyed me when they did that with the F series. They even did it with some variants of the B series that were completely different than the rest.

Is the bottom end different also? Or is it just the head? I know they added direct injection to the engine, but I considered that more as refining and tweaking. There's also the tumble port change that didn't exist before.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
its not track ready in the least, but quick in a straight line (was neck and neck with the few Type-Rs Ive raced.)
They must not have been floored. I've ridden in J35 and J37 cars. They don't come close to a CTR. There is nearly a 100 lb/ft difference in torque at the wheels.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Going slightly against the grain here. One year and almost 9K miles so far. Zero issues. Transmission is butter.

I don’t intend to cast shade or hate on your Accord, but that’s not a car I could ever drive. I feel like this is a massive upgrade in every way possible.

Handling and braking in completely another league, track ready, hatchback practicality, exceptional resale value, Honda reliability.

If you value sporty drivers cars tingling with precision and verve, trade that soulless, baked beans Accord in the second the dealership opens tomorrow morning!
Based on your needs sure, but the accord does a lot of things great the CTR doesn't have that others may find important.

Main one being, way less NVH. Balancing shafts on the accord make it much smoother to drive around. Sound deadening is a lot better and you have the option of leather seats if that's your thing. And stock for stock, they're both probably going to be reliable but the accord has a detuned version of the CTR's K20C so I'd say the accord has the edge in 'possible' long term reliability. But I don't think it accounts for that big of a difference at the end of the day so YMMV.

I will agree that the CTR checks a lot of boxes the accord has, but another thing would be is transmission choice.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on your needs sure, but the accord does a lot of things great the CTR doesn't have that others may find important.

Main one being, way less NVH. Balancing shafts on the accord make it much smoother to drive around. Sound deadening is a lot better and you have the option of leather seats if that's your thing. And stock for stock, they're both probably going to be reliable but the accord has a detuned version of the CTR's K20C so I'd say the accord has the edge in 'possible' long term reliability. But I don't think it accounts for that big of a difference at the end of the day so YMMV.

I will agree that the CTR checks a lot of boxes the accord has, but another thing would be is transmission choice.
I believe his is a 9.5 gen Accord, V6, which means he has a J-series motor, not a K20C.

That being said, my coworker's detuned K20C4 with a 10AT is FAST. Honestly it's a toss up to who gets to 60 first. It requires me to be on my A game when shifting.

They must not have been floored. I've ridden in J35 and J37 cars. They don't come close to a CTR. There is nearly a 100 lb/ft difference in torque at the wheels.
They also make glorious noises when VTEC kicks in :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I believe his is a 9.5 gen Accord, V6, which means he has a J-series motor, not a K20C.

That being said, my coworker's detuned K20C4 with a 10AT is FAST. Honestly it's a toss up to who gets to 60 first. It requires me to be on my A game when shifting.

They also make glorious noises when VTEC kicks in :)
The thing limiting these cars is actually traction. So more or less it's whoever can take advantage of the available traction more optimally. Though once you're past 2nd gear, it's no contest :p

OP
OP
Galaxythief

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
About 260 WHP, and 240 torque vs 290WHP and 280 torque. Hardly a 100 torque difference at the wheels or crank unless the Type-R is tuned. Their 0-60 and 1/4 mile are fairly even. Mid-high 5s, mid to high 13s. Yes the Type-R is faster up top, but were not going to sit here and act like either is a straight line burner. Either way, both cars have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag

He was comparing it to an older V6 Accord, which I’d place below a newer K20 Accord for sure. They ran a newer K20 Accord at Lightning Lap, and it was preposterously slow.

But that’s why I said to each his own. I came out of a 515HP Evo. FWD not really my thing, but the CTR bends some rules, it’s reliable, lightweight, and quick.

I just don’t like normal cars and SUVs. I don’t feel the stock CTR has any NVH at all, and I’m old. All what you’re used to, I guess. Again, no shade to the OP. We’re all different.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I’m at nearly 7k miles and my car has been making some scrape sounds like if a heat shield is loose and on rare occasion some random ass thumps like if I hit a pothole. Car still drives perfectly normal so I’m not really sweating it. I think it’s just because of the weather. In all honestly the the long term reliability of this car is a big ? The engine and car are brand new, to top it off direct injection and turbos are a first for Honda in this generation and we’ve already seen how the 1.5’s have been plagued with oil dilution while the K20C1 hasn’t been reported to be effected the sample size for this car is much much smaller than that of the 1.5’s and Type R’s as a whole have way less mileage than your average civic.
Mine does that as well. It sounds like a metal panel is dragging or touching somewhere.

A couple of times when it has done this, I got out and looked under the car to find sticks had been picked up by the belly pan, and were dragging the ground to create the sound. Other times I have not been able to see anything, but I suspect it has something to do with thermal growth as it always happens cold, and goes away after a couple of minutes of running.

OP
OP
Galaxythief

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
He was comparing it to an older V6 Accord, which I’d place below a newer K20 Accord for sure. They ran a newer K20 Accord at Lightning Lap, and it was preposterously slow.

But that’s why I said to each his own. I came out of a 515HP Evo. FWD not really my thing, but the CTR bends some rules, it’s reliable, lightweight, and quick.

I just don’t like normal cars and SUVs. I don’t feel the stock CTR has any NVH at all, and I’m old. All what you’re used to, I guess. Again, no shade to the OP. We’re all different.

No offense taken bro. I realize that this is a Type-R page and most of which will be slanted toward it and rightfully so.

I guess my issue, which doesn't have much to do with you or anyone else here. Is that 6-6 coupes, if called anything other than an Accord would've gotten more respect for what they really are. They're built on a different frame, the V6/manual option was coupe exclusive. Better gearing, less drivetrain loss, and lighter weight overall makes them about a half a second quicker 1/4 mile than the sedans. Frankly it's a different drive. But people hear Accord and apply mom mobile, even if theyve never actually driven a 6-6.

But I appreciate all the responses.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No offense taken bro. I realize that this is a Type-R page and most of which will be slanted toward it and rightfully so.

I guess my issue, which doesn't have much to do with you or anyone else here. Is that 6-6 coupes, if called anything other than an Accord would've gotten more respect for what they really are. They're built on a different frame, the V6/manual option was coupe exclusive. Better gearing, less drivetrain loss, and lighter weight overall makes them about a half a second quicker 1/4 mile than the sedans. Frankly it's a different drive. But people hear Accord and apply mom mobile, even if theyve never actually driven a 6-6.

Hell dude, I love the 6-6 Accord coupes. I almost considered getting one before I got my CTR.

It’s a genuinely enjoyable car. My coworker had a 2016, although with the 6AT, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag

Man, I just don't like FWD. The CTR is the bleeding edge of what I can accept as a daily driver. I drove Evos for almost 15 years, so I'm just used to something a lot more aggressive with traction, braking, handling, and tunability. No hate on your Accord. Drive what makes the best sense for you.

I've had people razz me a bit about my CTR, but I just have to laugh. I'm old enough to drive what I want, and do not care at all how it looks to them. It's for me, after all. :)
Sponsored