tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I just passed 300k miles on my S2000 a couple of months ago and still hit redline everyday. If the CTR can get half as many miles without any major issues, I'll be satisfied.
Honestly, I'll be surprised if it doesn't. Most modern cars should be able to do this if they are just maintained. There are obvious exceptions though *cough*blrghaFCAblrgha*cough*.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Purchased Feb 19 only have 1,750 miles(it's a toy), but zero problems. No gear grind...period. It IS a Honda after all...

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
MIne has 30K Km on it, and I have had exactly 3 grinds and all thee were my fault. I have done 1 track day with mine and have done a few mods. Not a single issue on this car. Never had anything happen that was out of the ordinary. Very good car and I bought mine site unseen in 2017 and drove almost 6 hours to pick it up. Broke the car in the day of delivery. Loving every minute of it and very happy with mine.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Going slightly against the grain here. One year and almost 9K miles so far. Zero issues. Transmission is butter.

I don’t intend to cast shade or hate on your Accord, but that’s not a car I could ever drive. I feel like this is a massive upgrade in every way possible.

Handling and braking in completely another league, track ready, hatchback practicality, exceptional resale value, Honda reliability.

If you value sporty drivers cars tingling with precision and verve, trade that soulless, baked beans Accord in the second the dealership opens tomorrow morning!

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For as long as I’ve had my car I haven’t had a single grind issue, no heat soaking, in fact no issues what so ever. Granted I do not track the car nor have intentions too. Spirited driving every time I’m in it though, I usually bring it out to the twisty roads. My R has 22k miles and is a 2017 and I’m sure it’ll be reliable for a long time.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I'm approaching 9k miles quickly since this is my daily and purchased in February. The only issue I've had was the 1-2 gear grind on rare occasion (the occasion being I punch the shit out of the gas from a stop). Aside from that no issues. :)

JimmyCricket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK* Type R
Country flag
I'm approaching 30k miles in 18 months. Seat adjuster needed replacing (I think they replace the whole base of the seat), but apart from overheating on track its been fine.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Most of the issues you addressed like over heating are things you are going to run into driving it very hard at the track. If you are asking whether or not you'll be in a stranded situation, I think you'll be fine. I don't think this car has any inherit power train issues, just a few minor drive train (transmission grinds, though I haven't had it happen to me personally, i'm only at 1400 miles so my car isn't a good example to use for this) and some others. And I don't know of anyone with over 100k miles yet so long term reliability is still up in the air. With that said, Honda, if anything is known for power train reliability given all their other set backs.

JimmyCricket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK* Type R
Country flag
Most of the issues you addressed like over heating are things you are going to run into driving it very hard at the track.
You don't have to be driving it very hard for the gauge to creep upwards if it's a warm day

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
You don't have to be driving it very hard for the gauge to creep upwards if it's a warm day
Yeah but I don't think it will put you in a situation where you'll be stranded and need to get towed. Heat soak is an issue on a lot of turbo 4's so it's not a sole CTR issue. If you are planning to track this car or do any sort of sanctioned racing, then I would say it's going to become an issue.

If someone could find out how the press cars are doing now (the cars that were sent to journalists at launch in 2017) that would be interesting to know because as most of you know, press cars are beaten on like they owe you money! That might be a better indication of reliability, at least under extremely stressful conditions and no where near how anyone would treat their cars.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good evening guys, Im new here obviously. Ive been lurking on the Issues/repairs thread for a few months, and have read some of the issues. Grind, valve cover leaking, over heating etc... How widespread are these issues??? I currently drive a 9.5 gen 6-6 Accord. To me its the perfect daily, 47k miles no issues whatsoever. I do want the Type-R, in a perfect world Id wait until my Accord is paid off and get it as a "fun" car. But Im also impulsive and theres always 1 sitting at my dealer. Theve said theyre willing to move it for MSRP, no dealer add ons and its tempting. But the issues are concerning considering my Accord is rock solid. So... How high are the chances that any Type-R will have any of these issues???
The only one I've noticed is the occasional crunch on 2nd gear. But it happens so rarely that I have to think it's some mistake I make when driving. The heat soaking issues and whatnot I think you would only see if you aggressively track the car - you won't encounter those in normal driving conditions unless it's frequently 120 degrees out where you live. I've owned mine for 13 months and 14.5k miles.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The heat soak will be noticeable on a hot and humid day if you start doing hard pulls. I know this past Summer the car just felt slower on those 90+ days with humidity.

Otherwise I don't foresee the car actually breaking down to the point where it would strand you unless you did something really stupid with it.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
The K series engine has been around since 2002. In hundreds of thousands of cars.

Yes, they change the compression or add a turbo, but it’s still the same engine design that’s been around for 17 years. While some of the intricacies of the engine change between models, the overall design is not new and has been tweaked and refined for almost two decades now.

If anything, the Kseries is reaching the end of its life now. Just like the B series engines before it, that were around for about 20 years.
The K20C is a complete redesign and shares nothing with previous K series motors.
Sponsored