Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Good evening guys, Im new here obviously. Ive been lurking on the Issues/repairs thread for a few months, and have read some of the issues. Grind, valve cover leaking, over heating etc... How widespread are these issues??? I currently drive a 9.5 gen 6-6 Accord. To me its the perfect daily, 47k miles no issues whatsoever. I do want the Type-R, in a perfect world Id wait until my Accord is paid off and get it as a "fun" car. But Im also impulsive and theres always 1 sitting at my dealer. Theve said theyre willing to move it for MSRP, no dealer add ons and its tempting. But the issues are concerning considering my Accord is rock solid. So... How high are the chances that any Type-R will have any of these issues???
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good evening guys, Im new here obviously. Ive been lurking on the Issues/repairs thread for a few months, and have read some of the issues. Grind, valve cover leaking, over heating etc... How widespread are these issues??? I currently drive a 9.5 gen 6-6 Accord. To me its the perfect daily, 47k miles no issues whatsoever. I do want the Type-R, in a perfect world Id wait until my Accord is paid off and get it as a "fun" car. But Im also impulsive and theres always 1 sitting at my dealer. Theve said theyre willing to move it for MSRP, no dealer add ons and its tempting. But the issues are concerning considering my Accord is rock solid. So... How high are the chances that any Type-R will have any of these issues???

Outside of a few grinds I don't really think there's any reliability issues with the Type R. However, V6 Accords are rare, so that would be a consideration. Would they appreciate? Depends on how many miles it had, honestly.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Unless you garage the Accord and never drive it, definitely it wont appreciate. You've got '04-06 TL 6MTs and 07-08 Type S 6 MTs not really appreciating on the Acura front.

I'm at 23k-ish miles on my Type R and have not had any issues other than a broken front seat adjustment (not specific to the Type R), which was fixed by the dealer. One minor moment where my infotainment would turn off anytime i turned the steering wheel, but I believe that was caused by leaving the car fob in the car overnight and partially draining the battery. Hasnt since happened after a bit of driving.

No other unexpected service visits.

Down the line you may have to deal with issues with carbon build up, etc. But reports of carbon build up on the K20C1 are rare, and we've had this engine in the FK2 for some time.

OP
OP
Galaxythief

Galaxythief

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Oh, Im not under the impression an Accord will appreciate. While fun, and rare... Its still an unassuming, midsize, eco-daily. With 47k miles and counting. I just wanted to hear feedback on reliability , and if it wouldve been worth trading it in for a Type-R. Vs waiting and just buying the Type-R as a second car.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buying a CTR on impulse is a quick way to the poor house. I'd suggest a test drive or two at CarMax or Carvana before making the large outlay. Maybe even ask a fellow member in the east coast for a ride-along just to see if it suits your needs/wants.

No doubt, it's a reliable car even with the occasional gear grind and heatsoak in the summer and on the track.

To sum up, please do take a test drive first before making your decision. Good luck!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Grinding will most likely happen if you're going to drive the car aggressively, that's generally the only time I have it happening to me. If you're granny shifting (and not double clutching like you should), it shouldn't be an issue. The tranny also, mine did anyways, seemed to break in over time and the grind has gone away for me (no changes to the transmission, though they did replace a bad clutch master cylinder).

I haven't noticed any leaks on the car, but your mileage may vary. As for overheating, it is a thing, the motor does heat soak easily. On the road, this just leads to the motor pulling torque (and power) so the car feel a little bit neutered. If you're tracking the car, this will become a bigger issue. Others have tried to get around cooling issues by various different methods: oil coolers, intercooler, intake, front grill replacement (increase air flow into the engine bay), hoods (increase air flow in and/or out of the engine bay), etc. The success of this is weary as there are no real numbers on it, though some people claim they have a fully working system.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
My right DRL shorted out before 1000 miles

Fixed for free by the dealership

I'm at 6000 miles with 0 issues beyond that

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
I’m at nearly 7k miles and my car has been making some scrape sounds like if a heat shield is loose and on rare occasion some random ass thumps like if I hit a pothole. Car still drives perfectly normal so I’m not really sweating it. I think it’s just because of the weather. In all honestly the the long term reliability of this car is a big ? The engine and car are brand new, to top it off direct injection and turbos are a first for Honda in this generation and we’ve already seen how the 1.5’s have been plagued with oil dilution while the K20C1 hasn’t been reported to be effected the sample size for this car is much much smaller than that of the 1.5’s and Type R’s as a whole have way less mileage than your average civic.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I’m at nearly 7k miles and my car has been making some scrape sounds like if a heat shield is loose and on rare occasion some random ass thumps like if I hit a pothole. Car still drives perfectly normal so I’m not really sweating it. I think it’s just because of the weather. In all honestly the the long term reliability of this car is a big ? The engine and car are brand new, to top it off direct injection and turbos are a first for Honda in this generation and we’ve already seen how the 1.5’s have been plagued with oil dilution while the K20C1 hasn’t been reported to be effected the sample size for this car is much much smaller than that of the 1.5’s and Type R’s as a whole have way less mileage than your average civic.
K20c1 is in the edm fk2 type R.

It's in it's 4th year of production

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
K20c1 is in the edm fk2 type R.

It's in it's 4th year of production
I know about the fk2. I’d consider 4 years still very new for an all new engine design. That’s less than your average car loan

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking back at comment I feel like I was being rather pessimistic when talking about how this car will fair in the future reliability wise. I have faith in Honda and their reputation. I’m not at all worried about it’s reliability I wouldn’t have got it if I was. I’ll likely break it before it breaks itself

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Every manual Honda transmission I’ve ever driven has always grinded. Not on every shift. But it wasn’t unusual to have a grind every once in a while. Some more than others. There’s a lot of fear with the CTR transmission- I’m willing to bet 98% of the cars will never have a major transmission issue. I’ve been living the Honda life for 20 years now. GSRs, Type Rs, Type Ss, SiRs, Sis, hell even a TSX 6MT and TL 6MT, you name it. All grinded. None ever had issues.

Forums always blow up issues- 5 guys in a community face the same problem, it gets discussed on forum thread after thread, seems like everyone will suffer the same fate and their cars will explode and everyone will die in a fiery catastrophe, and yet in reality... that’s rarely the case. The problems appear worse on forums than they actually are.

Also, fixing the grind is easy. Change the transmission fluid. Done. GMSMFM is the solution to any and every manual Honda transmission, for the last 20 years.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
To add to that, I’m at 26,000km on my CTR and have not had a single issue besides a grind here and there. Just haven’t had time to change my transmission fluid yet. Other than that, no unexpected dealership visits. No warranty claims. Zip. Nada.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know about the fk2. I’d consider 4 years still very new for an all new engine design. That’s less than your average car loan
The K series engine has been around since 2002. In hundreds of thousands of cars.

Yes, they change the compression or add a turbo, but it’s still the same engine design that’s been around for 17 years. While some of the intricacies of the engine change between models, the overall design is not new and has been tweaked and refined for almost two decades now.

If anything, the Kseries is reaching the end of its life now. Just like the B series engines before it, that were around for about 20 years.
Sponsored