Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
What would i expect from 91 octane from ktuner? Can't seem to find anything on 91 only 93.
Not entirely sure. That would be a question for Ktuner or your tuner
Sponsored

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have KTuner and have no plans to switch to Hondata. I’ll get a lot of hate but the features to me aren’t beneficial and the stock maps are junk. The cars are run way too lean and I’ve seen first hand of people screwing up their cars on Hondata basemaps. Most recently a buddy of mine blew his turbo at laguna using Hondata.

Flex fuel isn’t fully developed yet and isn’t worth considering IMO.

Traction control is a gimmick at best.
Must be a 91 octane thing or something. Right on spool up it'll shoot straight down to 12:1, then keep going down to 11.6.

This is with the base afr. I tried enriching it before but lost power and didn't make much of a difference. The only place it gets lean is under partial throttle

Accelerating faster in a straight line, and powering out of corners faster is a gimmick? Plus being able to adjust target slip%, where it cuts in and how much ignition to take out. Plus launch settings. Lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata vs Ktuner 2019/2020 spoolup afr

Last edited:

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I ran Ktuner multistage basemap and it performed well with all my mods for a good few thousands of miles. I recently switch over for the tuner’s preference. Car feels amazing and very “happy”. Custom tunes are the way to go if you have multiple bolt ons.
Traction control on my setup works really well with the default settings. I would disagree it’s a gimmick.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Must be a 91 octane thing or something. Right on spool up it'll shoot straight down to 12:1, then keep going down to 11.6.

This is with the base afr. I tried enriching it before but lost power and didn't make much of a difference. The only place it gets lean is under partial throttle

Accelerating faster in a straight line, and powering out of corners faster is a gimmick? Plus being able to adjust target slip%, where it cuts in and how much ignition to take out. Plus launch settings. Lol

spoolup afr.png
where’s your data to show launch control improves 1/4 or sector times? Exactly my point. The tunes are ran lean to make more power.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
where’s your data to show launch control improves 1/4 or sector times? Exactly my point. The tunes are ran lean to make more power.
12:1 is lean? I don't know how some people get 13.5:1 when boost ramps up. Mine shoots straight down to barely 12 as I posted before. Instantly goes to that and keeps getting richer up to 11.6 with no adjustments.

Even if the values are not to your liking it's pretty simple to enrichen it.

I do see how the 91 basemaps are slightly aggressive for the lower octane but I'm fortunate enough to get 93 where I live.

There isn't launch control to begin with... You can just adjust how much wheel slip is allowed at very low speeds. I personally don't launch from a start or drag race. Maybe when I get a better clutch I'll launch more, but drag racing is stupid to me (especially in a FF setup)

However powering through corners and accelerating from a roll there is most definitely an improvement. I'm sure those who take theirs around a track can attest to that. It works even with vsa fully disabled, though if it's wet out not so much. The factory vsa is so awful you'd be better off with it fully disabled if you're looking to do a pull without it interfering and cutting your boost.

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would think anything over 12.7~ is lean. I checked mine and the leanest it gets is 12.3, but that's at low/mid range..then goes into upper 11s.
Not sure where that other guy is getting his info...however, base maps are just that...getting flashpro and ktuner and sticking to a base map is taking a chance imo.

As for saying ktuner is better because of base calibrations...doesn't make sense...get it tuned, either flashpro or ktuner can do the same in that region imo.

As for traction control. lol, not a gimmic, it actually works and there is data shown from others that proved it. I don't need to provide any myself, because I see it every time I hit the gas.

I get mine tuned on the 19th finally

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I would think anything over 12.7~ is lean. I checked mine and the leanest it gets is 12.3, but that's at low/mid range..then goes into upper 11s.
Not sure where that other guy is getting his info...however, base maps are just that...getting flashpro and ktuner and sticking to a base map is taking a chance imo.

As for saying ktuner is better because of base calibrations...doesn't make sense...get it tuned, either flashpro or ktuner can do the same in that region imo.

As for traction control. lol, not a gimmic, it actually works and there is data shown from others that proved it. I don't need to provide any myself, because I see it every time I hit the gas.

Not everyone wants a custom tune. I’m sure a good majority of users are on a basemap. I never said ktuner was better. I said I wasn’t switching to Hondata. Seeing the stock maps blow up turbos and make the cars run hot on track has steered me away big time. I am getting custom tuned shortly but I still wanted a reliable basemap to hold me over until then.

Yes I truly believe traction control is a gimmick. People I know that track with it have problems and end up running without it anyways. I’ve also heard from people in the drag world that it actually increases their 1/4 times. Like I said if someone has actual data to say otherwise, I will continue to believe it’s a gimmick. I would love to be wrong though.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

Base maps are base maps but a tuned map can give you just as much problem as a base map if you don't choose the right tuner.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We tuned both of the FK8s that Honda races locally. For fuel economy when endurance racing we tune them to run in the high 13s AFR. And they run like this for 25 hours straight. Without a problem. With the same engine for three years. That's several lifetimes of hard running for most people. The transmissions might die and the low pressure pumps fail and brakes fail and people run into them and other things happen but the engines are fine.
For the last endurance race in the wet the traction control contributed to a 12 second per lap advantage over the next faster car in the class. In the dry the traction control helped to a lesser extent but it does work and it is a worthwhile feature.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Anyone here have any experience tuning 91 as a bone stock FK8? What type of gains did you expect and what were you able to achieve?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We tuned both of the FK8s that Honda races locally. For fuel economy when endurance racing we tune them to run in the high 13s AFR. And they run like this for 25 hours straight. Without a problem. With the same engine for three years. That's several lifetimes of hard running for most people. The transmissions might die and the low pressure pumps fail and brakes fail and people run into them and other things happen but the engines are fine.
For the last endurance race in the wet the traction control contributed to a 12 second per lap advantage over the next faster car in the class. In the dry the traction control helped to a lesser extent but it does work and it is a worthwhile feature.
The CTR (E0 class) could’ve easily won if not for the transmission failure (4th gear) that caused a 90-minute delay. The car still finished third amongst 45 cars even with the delay. It was consistently a couple of seconds faster (per lap) than the Mustang GT.

https://racehero.io/events/nasa-norcal-25-hrs-of-thunderhill-2019-nasa-norcal/results/1073743890

Last edited:

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I truly believe traction control is a gimmick. I would love to be wrong though.
Happy to oblige.

Contact Jason Owens , the CTR track driver from United Speed Racing. On his visit to our booth at the PRI show in Indianapolis yesterday he reported that his Full Race turbo equipped CTR cornered faster with Hondata Traction Control in the wet, than it did without traction control in the dry.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to oblige.

Contact Jason Owens , the CTR track driver from United Speed Racing. On his visit to our booth at the PRI show in Indianapolis yesterday he reported that his Full Race turbo equipped CTR cornered faster with Hondata Traction Control in the wet, than it did without traction control in the dry.
I'm sure that's all true and your Traction Control system works great. My question is, on a street use car (w/catalytic converter), can the TC system potentially damage the cat if it kicks in frequently due to timing retard?
Sponsored

Last edited: