automaticdman

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@Hondata What are your thoughts on this?

Well I have a long time friend who is a service manager for Honda and had a tuned FK8. I'm going to hit him up and find out what is the best way. If I only run the ecu on the weekends for let's say 2-3 hours of drive time. I doubt the difference will be 4 months worth.
Any good news from your friend? Safe for us to buy a clone ECU, return it to stock ECU if something bad happens and Dealer won't find out? I have been on the fence to get Hondata but do think the clone ECU may be a better option for me. Just want to make sure before I spend the extra $2,000.
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
^^^ regardless of what that guy or his friend says they will know. If you have a small issue ehh maybe they won’t care. Serious engine/ drive train issue they can tell so easy.

But don’t listen to me it likely won’t matter. I’ve been tuned since almost day one and after 2 years, 9 track days, 20+ autocross events I’ve had zero issues.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
@Hondata What are your thoughts on this?

Any good news from your friend? Safe for us to buy a clone ECU, return it to stock ECU if something bad happens and Dealer won't find out? I have been on the fence to get Hondata but do think the clone ECU may be a better option for me. Just want to make sure before I spend the extra $2,000.
I'm away training for work. I'll try and get ahold of him this weekend. Also where is $2000 coming from. You can buy a ECU new online for like $450 shipped. The Hondata is $1500...eek

automaticdman

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'm away training for work. I'll try and get ahold of him this weekend. Also where is $2000 coming from. You can buy a ECU new online for like $450 shipped. The Hondata is $1500...eek
From CorreysCTR
$1100 for the Bosch ECU.
If you need the FlashPro it’s an additional$695. with tax shipping about $2000 for both.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
From CorreysCTR
$1100 for the Bosch ECU.
If you need the FlashPro it’s an additional$695. with tax shipping about $2000 for both.
its $1100 for the jail broken remote cloned bosch ecu.

i would contact hondata first and see if they are willing to clone and jail break an ecu you provide to them.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
its $1100 for the jail broken remote cloned bosch ecu.

i would contact hondata first and see if they are willing to clone and jail break an ecu you provide to them.
@automaticdman Definitely contact them. They have a part number checker on their site that said it was compatible. However I don't know about if there is an extra charge to jailbreak it.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the part number is the correct one for the bosch ecu.

Hondata would have to agree to jail break/clone the new ecu you are going to send them in order for this to work. At that point would bring additional costs on top of the new ecu you will buy which might negate some of the savings you are thinking you will get. I'm not even sure if they will offer a cloning service to an ecu you provide them.

The immobilizer for the car can not be programmed to 2 ECUs as far as i know. You can jail break the new ecu and program it to your immobilizer but that would defeat the whole purposes of buying a new ecu.

Jail break when it first came out was ~$250 or something. I don't know if prices have been changed since then.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1100 (Hondata Jailbreak + cloned ECU)
- 490 (ECU + shipping)
- 250 (Jailbreak)
- 200 (Cloning service, maybe more)
- 60 (Shipping + Insurance, both ways)
-------------------------------------------------
= 100 potential savings

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Well I have a long time friend who is a service manager for Honda and had a tuned FK8. I'm going to hit him up and find out what is the best way. If I only run the ecu on the weekends for let's say 2-3 hours of drive time. I doubt the difference will be 4 months worth.
I admit I know very little on this subject, but it would seem logical that the ECU can record mileage when the ecu is in the car. The Instrument panel also records Mileage, and from what I have read, it does so independently of the ECU, because if you swap out the Instrument panel, the Odometer vale has to be addressed, either recorded, or maybe SET to the correct value.
So it would be easy for any tech to compare the two readings, and a difference would indicate that something has been changed.

It would also seem that what is available for the Tech, or Honda America to read from the ECU, in any detail, is not precisely known to the General Public, so there is always a chance that what can be read is being over exaggerated, to scare owners from doing these swap outs etc.

Then again, it is relatively easy for the ECU to have be designed and programmed to record a whole slew of data, whatever Honda wants to records, and hide away within the ECU, and lock it down, so only they can see it -- which would seem the Local thing to do, to be able to evaluate technical issues and claims.

It's a computer, with access to most of the systems in your car, included most likely the GPS, and of course time. Memory is cheap. It "Could" be recording a very detailed history about almost EVERYTHING you do with your car... engine starts with time date & location, complete record of RPM & speeds for every movement of the car etc etc etc
That, together with GOOGLE & Facebook collecting data about you, Honda probably even knows each time you pick your nose when stopped at a Traffic light !!!

One advantage of a LOW Tech 1987 car.... PRIVACY -- with nothing that is "out of your control" , recording everything you do. I can swap the "ECU" out of my 1987 Maxima, with the "2nd Modded" one I have, and nobody apart from me knows I did it !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
they can still find out.. ---------- you cant just slap on the ecu and think they wont find out.. they fly in techs to do these types of work.
I got the impression that when it came to this sort of Highly Technical work, Honda American had the local tech with your car, connect it up to the Internet, and the High Level Tech Guys at Honda America then had access to all that hidden data etc etc.
Little need these days to waste time & resources FLYING highly trained (and expensive) Techs around the country ( or risk letting the Local Dealer's "Tech" have access to the data and the knowledge to get it and mess with it !!)