Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only stupid questions in life are the ones you don't ask. ;) I'm here for one reason. I watched the video and replayed it thinking I missed something. It's like Mr. Hondata is building us a watch but not telling us what time it is. He fudged up his transmission but isn't exactly saying the exact point it failed. As if he just noticed when he started losing power. It's starting to sound like if you want real gain with reliability it's in the manual. Or just wait and buy the Si.

Funny you ask questions like this when you "Pro" in your name
Sponsored

Last edited:

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc FK7 Sport
Country flag
i just want more gains but keep the reliability lmao

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Honda's never built a strong 4 cylinder transmission. We've got N/A K series guys breaking 2nd gear with 150-160 ft lbs of torque.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So would it be safe to say you could achieve higher torque levels safely with a manual? And how much more?
I've made nearly 300wtq with just a tune on our 6MT with the only issue being the clutch wanting to slip.

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so what your saying is... mine as well get that tune and enjoy my car to its higher potential?

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
so what your saying is... mine as well get that tune and enjoy my car to its higher potential?
Civic EXT CVT for sale only 4k miles 19,500.. lol :)
Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT for sale/trade, only 800 miles lmao
LOL I don't think there's any reason to just toss the CVT if you're enjoying the car. I think as time goes on and PRL comes out with their cooler we'll see some sweet CVT builds. I've tuned several CVT now on both Hondata and KTuner -- Hondata's limits are super conservative. That's their decision to set them and as I've told several of my customers -- if they are happy with the results and how the car drives, enjoy it. If they want more, there's more there ;)

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL I don't think there's any reason to just toss the CVT if you're enjoying the car. I think as time goes on and PRL comes out with their cooler we'll see some sweet CVT builds. I've tuned several CVT now on both Hondata and KTuner -- Hondata's limits are super conservative. That's their decision to set them and as I've told several of my customers -- if they are happy with the results and how the car drives, enjoy it. If they want more, there's more there ;)
I love my CVT! Got tired of shifting thru LA traffic every day. I'd love to tune it to get that extra oomph and nothing more! You'll be hearing from me in the future friend :) I do miss downshifting on young kats tho :)

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda's never built a strong 4 cylinder transmission. We've got N/A K series guys breaking 2nd gear with 150-160 ft lbs of torque.
MT gearbox reliability is mostly dependent on how you drive the car. Shock loading is hard on a gearbox. I have 9 years of landspeed racing with K series engines running transmissions with only off the shelf Honda parts handling 500-600 lb-ft torque. The fastest we have run is 245 mph on a K15 turbo CRX. We have set close to 50 landspeed records with no transmission failures.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
MT gearbox reliability is mostly dependent on how you drive the car. Shock loading is hard on a gearbox. I have 9 years of landspeed racing with K series engines running transmissions with only off the shelf Honda parts handling 500-600 lb-ft torque. The fastest we have run is 245 mph on a K15 turbo CRX. We have set close to 50 landspeed records with no transmission failures.
I've had good luck on some of my cars too. That doesn't change the fact Honda's transmissions are not very strong. Andrew's K20 mr2 broke 4th gear, broke 5th gear, broke even 6th gear just doing high speed pulls no different than what your landspeed car does. Your landspeed cars also do no run on a street surface. Do the gears last a while? Sometimes, sure.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I share Hondata's outlook as well. In the hundreds of thousands of miles we've seen across owners from various mod paths, clutch engagement and transmission movement (between shifts) are the biggest contributors to failure.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I share Hondata's outlook as well. In the hundreds of thousands of miles we've seen across owners from various mod paths, clutch engagement and transmission movement (between shifts) are the biggest contributors to failure.
we all share Hondatas outlook, it's a given, the point is they are not reliably strong.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So clutch engagement and trans movement is why I can shred all the teeth off 4th gear just by rolling into boost on a K series? Without making a shift. Just leave it in 4th, and ease into it? Must be the clutch engagement... couldn't possibly be a weak gear that can't take the torque?

LoL
Sponsored