Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else see the thread where the guy in Canada said that Honda pulled his ECU after his engine blew and was able to see everything? Like everyone said, if you're worried about warranty, don't mod until there isn't any.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else see the thread where the guy in Canada said that Honda pulled his ECU after his engine blew and was able to see everything? Like everyone said, if you're worried about warranty, don't mod until there isn't any.
Yep exactly, but I figure if I bend the rods I expect them to do a full forensic look at the car. They have to know if they have a production problem or a one off problem or a customer induced problem. In his case, he misshifted going 3-2 at WOT and over revved to 9700. That's why he blew his engine. Im not sure if he tried to warranty it but they saw the over rev code logged in his ECU even though it was 2 months previous.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
but they saw the over rev code logged in his ECU even though it was 2 months previous.
This. Always this. It's an automatic warranty void if that is in the freeze frame data.

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
It's me, i try to had warranty on this, and i've had 3 bent rod on the engine, like dallasjhawk said, they search to known if it was a production problem or me doing something wrong with the engine, they said honda will send my engine at sylverstone if they found nothing wrong, but they found something wrong lol, the engineer they send to look at my ecu saw everything; number of reflash, peak boost, over rev even if it was reflashed and snapchat erasing.

HelloImDrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic (soon)
Country flag
I see. Kinda tempted to go back to Stock and just try to sell the KTuner. I don't race around and only do maybe 700 miles a month (if that). Mostly just wanted an easy way to get a little more out of the vehicle.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see. Kinda tempted to go back to Stock and just try to sell the KTuner. I don't race around and only do maybe 700 miles a month (if that). Mostly just wanted an easy way to get a little more out of the vehicle.
Do you have v1 or v2 Ktuner? You should be able to sell it either way. But if you are just cruising around and running a base tune from Ktuner you really dont have much to worry about.....

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I mean, just don’t mis shift at WOT... lol

HelloImDrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic (soon)
Country flag
Do you have v1 or v2 Ktuner? You should be able to sell it either way. But if you are just cruising around and running a base tune from Ktuner you really dont have much to worry about.....
Ktuner V1. And I just drive it around town so it never really "gets going" i just like how much more responsive it is.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner V1. And I just drive it around town so it never really "gets going" i just like how much more responsive it is.
You shouldnt have a problem keeping it then unless you just dont care to have it anymore. Lots of us drive much harder and have custom tunes that are running fine

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldnt have a problem keeping it then unless you just dont care to have it anymore. Lots of us drive much harder and have custom tunes that are running fine
Yep X2 for me both my CivicX CVTs are custom tuned with zero issues.

Vtec_Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's always so slow off the line. I raced a V8 Tahoe tonight from a red light to 60, he jumped about a car off the line then I pulled 1 on him @60. Just wish we could get going quicker
Personally off the line i was able to beat a mustang(don’t know exactly which one) but i beat him with my hatch cvt sport touring. I tried uploading the video but it says there’s no extension to support it. However my touring hatch has No mods no tune just stock running on premium. It could’ve been the driver but before we started recording, he was going at it and off the line i kept leaving him but of course he would catch up and eventually beat me. If anyone knows how i can upload the video that’d be cool.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally off the line i was able to beat a mustang(don’t know exactly which one) but i beat him with my hatch cvt sport touring. I tried uploading the video but it says there’s no extension to support it. However my touring hatch has No mods no tune just stock running on premium. It could’ve been the driver but before we started recording, he was going at it and off the line i kept leaving him but of course he would catch up and eventually beat me. If anyone knows how i can upload the video that’d be cool.
Assuming you are talking about a video that does not show street racing, you can upload it to Youtube and then link it here.

aauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport cvt
Country flag
Yes it is safe and no issue with scoring the belt. Here was part of our testing regime for the + 6psi tune.
  • 100 0-90 mph consecutive acceleration runs up a hill
  • 6 hours circuit racing on Miller Motorsports Park Utah
  • 6 drag racing events with a best of 14.2
  • Several top speed runs of over 130 mph
Our highest concern is reliability.
Just wondering, was a CVT cooler installed when you took the car to the 6 hour circuit racing? Or was everything stock except for the tune? I’m planning to track mine with the tune and wondering if the CVT will hold up without a CVT cooler. Thanks.
Sponsored