HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should leave the cvt alone.. only tune and mod manuals

I picked up my CVT Hatchback earlier this year and last month got a KTuner and have been running the Stage 2 settings on it with everything at Aggressive in the Quick Adjustments. How damaging is this for the vehicle? I don't need this to last me 10 years, but I would like to have it at least paid off before I start worrying about major problems.
Sponsored

HelloImDrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic (soon)
Country flag
So it would be best to just go back to stock and try to sell the KTuner? It's not like I am going to race it my car, but I was mostly trying to get the most of it I could while being "safe". Are there "safe" settings in KTuner for the CVT where I could still get some fun out of it without worrying my engine is going to blow up soon?

mikeydon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Accord V6 6 Speed Manual FULL BOLT ONS/DYNO TUNED (305whp), 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
stupid. they deliberately tried to kill the transmission. for an everyday joe a reflash shouldnt hurt the transmission. and anyway good thing my car is a lease

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my CVT Hatchback earlier this year and last month got a KTuner and have been running the Stage 2 settings on it with everything at Aggressive in the Quick Adjustments. How damaging is this for the vehicle? I don't need this to last me 10 years, but I would like to have it at least paid off before I start worrying about major problems.
Watch Hondata's video, then you decide....

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
So it would be best to just go back to stock and try to sell the KTuner? It's not like I am going to race it my car, but I was mostly trying to get the most of it I could while being "safe". Are there "safe" settings in KTuner for the CVT where I could still get some fun out of it without worrying my engine is going to blow up soon?
I doubt your engine will blow up, or suffer any at all from your tune....
Now your CVT belt is another story....

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
CVT is fine without going custom tuning, Hondata 6psi will NOT hurt anything.

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
I could still get some fun out of it without worrying my engine is going to blow up soon?
Dont worry, you need 6mt to blow up this engine lol, no chance to blow with a cvt.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So this thread came all the back around to "dont tune your CVT?" You guys are insane, there are cars running around on Ktuner tune for over a year running stage 2 and Hondata tunes for probably the same since they have been R&Ding that long on this platform. Yeah Hondata broke a CVT, ON PURPOSE, so they could show you it could happen but they clearly state that on their base tunes for the CVT its fine. Ktuner tunes are fine as well. Ill bet money my custom tune is safer than all of them bc my tuner @VitViper knows what the hell he is doing and isnt going to tune my car and risk the CVT unless I specifically tell him too. God the dumb going around here......

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
technically they didn't break the CVT. The belt just started to slip but it was still drivable afterwards. it caused some scoring on the pulleys and premature wear on the belt

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I've been tuned since before my first oil change and I'm now at 25k miles. And I'm running over the stage 2. No issues with the CVT

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear you but Hondata never drew the line because they didn't know if the damage was all at once or gradual. What happened is Hondata started noticing loss of power and tore into the cvt to find damage. That's enough for me to stay clear and enjoy my hair slightly slower full warranty vehicles.

So this thread came all the back around to "dont tune your CVT?" You guys are insane, there are cars running around on Ktuner tune for over a year running stage 2 and Hondata tunes for probably the same since they have been R&Ding that long on this platform. Yeah Hondata broke a CVT, ON PURPOSE, so they could show you it could happen but they clearly state that on their base tunes for the CVT its fine. Ktuner tunes are fine as well. Ill bet money my custom tune is safer than all of them bc my tuner @VitViper knows what the hell he is doing and isnt going to tune my car and risk the CVT unless I specifically tell him too. God the dumb going around here......

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear you but Hondata never drew the line because they didn't know if the damage was all at once or gradual. What happened is Hondata started noticing loss of power and tore into the cvt to find damage. That's enough for me to stay clear and enjoy my hair slightly slower full warranty vehicles.
Ok well then that's fine, and that's your choice but saying things like "You should leave the cvt alone.. only tune and mod manuals" is misleading especially coming from someone with "Pro" in their name. Newbie members may see that and think you know more than you do.....You are saying that bc you dont want to worry about your warranty.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
You shouldn't ever modify a car. Even the manuals break.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I think we can all agree that you take a greater risk when modifying any vehicle. Some risks are greater then others. If your conservative then you shouldn't spontaneously break anything. But more power means more wear and tear. so it's up to the individual to decide if there ok with having to replace a part a little before it's time.

If you're concerned about your warranties then modifying isn't for you
Sponsored