First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@02SilverSiHB Do those two parts you listed at the bottom of your post add any power?
oh I doubt it, especially the intake...just for sounds. The exhaust might, but I'm not sure really...the HKS doesn't even come with a front pipe, so I can't imagine it making much power.

I just used the improved throttle response 93 octane calibration and picked the mods of AEM intake...which I'm told doesn't change anything as it read the same as stock air flow...it's just basically to give me a warm fuzzy hondata already knows it's good with this tune, lol.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
So the Traction Control is great. I haven't noticed my tires breaking loose and going nuts like they did before in 1st and 2nd with ktuner's dampened torque calibration (I'm on factory wheels, but with "all season" tires 245/35).

With the hondata calibration I noticed right away it feels more controlled 1st through 2nd than how it felt with ktuner's calibration.
The hondata calibration I'm using, makes 3rd gear feel like you gained tons of power...takes off like crazy, but doesn't lose traction, it feels under control and power delivery feels perfect.

So far I'm enjoying the calibrations hondata has over ktuner. I never had, or maybe never will, a chance to go get a custom tune.
I'm just running HKS Legamax and AFE intake
Nice! With all of the positive feedback I've seen from previous KTuner users I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Hondata and sell my KTuner V2.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice! With all of the positive feedback I've seen from previous KTuner users I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Hondata and sell my KTuner V2.
yeah, I was impatient...also, I never noticed that much of different calibrations on ktuner...have you? I had updated it, but didn't see much.

Ktuner was great, never had issues, but this TC is a big win for hondata imo. Some people will say go with what your local tuner is comfortable with, but I most likely will never get mine completely tuned...I don't plan on running a open downpipe, etc. This car is fast enough...I want it to last without blowing it up with unnecessary power lol

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah, I was impatient...also, I never noticed that much of different calibrations on ktuner...have you? I had updated it, but didn't see much.

Ktuner was great, never had issues, but this TC is a big win for hondata imo. Some people will say go with what your local tuner is comfortable with, but I most likely will never get mine completely tuned...I don't plan on running a open downpipe, etc. This car is fast enough...I want it to last without blowing it up with unnecessary power lol
I actually purchased the KTuner V2 and ECU unlock earlier this year and had my ECU unlocked, but never installed the KTuner V2. I was going to wait to install it until the weather got nicer and then Hondata announced their TC. I’ve been patiently waiting to see what people had to say about it and it looks like quite a few people made the switch to Hondata and couldn’t be happier.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually purchased the KTuner V2 and ECU unlock earlier this year and had my ECU unlocked, but never installed the KTuner V2. I was going to wait to install it until the weather got nicer and then Hondata announced their TC. I’ve been patiently waiting to see what people had to say about it and it looks like quite a few people made the switch to Hondata and couldn’t be happier.
yeah man. I went with ktuner for two reasons:
1. Cheaper
2. Came with that V2 module.

After going Hondata, I figure I can just load software on my phone and basically have my own module to look at (I don't care to have it on the info system...defeats the purpose to me, lol, want it close to the road view).

Also, I have to admit, ktuner's software wasn't as easy to use as it is with hondata's software. I know I might be biased since I've used hondata in the past since like 2002~ from my EP3, to FA5, FB6, etc...so hondata software is way easier for me to navigate around.

I haven't used hondata since probably 2013 and jumped right back on and had zero issues, even with some of their changes/additions like "Mods" button, etc...so easy to use.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah man. I went with ktuner for two reasons:
1. Cheaper
2. Came with that V2 module.

After going Hondata, I figure I can just load software on my phone and basically have my own module to look at (I don't care to have it on the info system...defeats the purpose to me, lol, want it close to the road view).

Also, I have to admit, ktuner's software wasn't as easy to use as it is with hondata's software. I know I might be biased since I've used hondata in the past since like 2002~ from my EP3, to FA5, FB6, etc...so hondata software is way easier for me to navigate around.

I haven't used hondata since probably 2013 and jumped right back on and had zero issues, even with some of their changes/additions like "Mods" button, etc...so easy to use.
Yeah, the V2 module was definitely a big factor in my purchase. The other thing that originally attracted me to KTuner was being able to switch from stage 0 to stage 1 using Comfort and R Mode. I've had Hondata on two of my previous cars and liked it a lot. I look forward to getting my hands on it for my Type R.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, the V2 module was definitely a big factor in my purchase. The other thing that originally attracted me to KTuner was being able to switch from stage 0 to stage 1 using Comfort and R Mode. I've had Hondata on two of my previous cars and liked it a lot. I look forward to getting my hands on it for my Type R.
so neither hondata or ktuner can switch to different calibrations from the mode...from what I understand

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
people really misunderstand this part.
Both Ktuner and Hondata doesn't support different calibrations for different driving modes. i.e. 91 octane tune in comfort, 100 octane tune in +R mode.
What they do have is the ability to put different torque output (power) and throttle reponse with different driving modes.

Mine is:
comfort - stock
sport - slightly improved throttle response, max torque
+R - even more improved throttle response, max torque.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
people really misunderstand this part.
Both Ktuner and Hondata doesn't support different calibrations for different driving modes. i.e. 91 octane tune in comfort, 100 octane tune in +R mode.
What they do have is the ability to put different torque output (power) and throttle reponse with different driving modes.

Mine is:
comfort - stock
sport - slightly improved throttle response, max torque
+R - even more improved throttle response, max torque.
Thanks for the clarification.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So the Traction Control is great. I haven't noticed my tires breaking loose and going nuts like they did before in 1st and 2nd with ktuner's dampened torque calibration (I'm on factory wheels, but with "all season" tires 245/35).

With the hondata calibration I noticed right away it feels more controlled 1st through 2nd than how it felt with ktuner's calibration.
The hondata calibration I'm using, makes 3rd gear feel like you gained tons of power...takes off like crazy, but doesn't lose traction, it feels under control and power delivery feels perfect.

So far I'm enjoying the calibrations hondata has over ktuner. I never had, or maybe never will, a chance to go get a custom tune.
I'm just running HKS Legamax and AFE intake
Thank you very much for the comparison between the two. I didn’t really know there was much of a difference between the two other than one had a display unit. I have hondata and it is the first time I have ever tuned my car and am really pleased with it. With the TC update being a game changer for sure. Hondata is constantly updating and improving as well which is awesome. Anyways thanks again for the comparison it is much appreciated.

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
We use two local Honda dealers to install aftermarket parts (turbos, clutches etc) and there is never a problem with warranty of the vehicle.
You may not have any idea how fortunate you folks are. I've heard of dealerships such as yours, but have never found one. All five Honda dealerships within reasonable driving distance from me (N.O., LA) cop serious attitudes the moment they see or hear of anything beyond a cat-back, or maybe a cool-air intake. None of them will install any parts that are not factory Honda parts. They all suck.

driv300mph

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey CTR (#22412 of ???), 2011 Lotus Exige S260 (#19 of 30)
Country flag
In response to requests, Hondata is now performing FK8 jailbreaks without opening the ECU. The ECU remains factory sealed.
Your site says "As of 4/1/2019 we do open the ECU to jailbreak it." https://www.hondata.com/jailbreak

That's supposed to say "do not," right?

Thanks!
Sponsored