Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bill Nottbusch from Colorado? The jailbreak process is different from a reflash and uses specialized hardware, so the DSTi will not work.
Sponsored

Spunkster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR, 2x 98 ITR's, 88 Integra, 06 RSX Type S
Country flag
Hello, I am a Honda master technician, I use the denso dsti to do updates all day. Can I pay for the jailbrake and install it myself? My fk8r is my only transportation and I can't have any down time
No you cannot do this yourself. The ECU must be sent to Hondata for the Jailbreak.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm hoping that one day jailbreaking can be integrated into the Flashpro unit. The price of jailbreaking can be added on.

When the unit is unlocked from the ecu it will un-jailbreak (if that is possible).

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm hoping that one day jailbreaking can be integrated into the Flashpro unit. The price of jailbreaking can be added on.

When the unit is unlocked from the ecu it will un-jailbreak (if that is possible).

I wish....sucks because I'm from Canada, costs so much to ship out if I want it back the next day :/

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
I compiled a one page PDF regarding the MMWA, which I always recommend any one who resides in the US to read as it covers every facet of your daily life, providing every consumer the right to modify and repair their own products without fear of the manufacturer voiding their warranty. (The compiled PDF is geared towards automotive.)

With that being said, the onus is on the manufacturer to prove irrefutably, by law, a modification or repair caused damage in order to deny warranty coverage (not maybe did, or probably did, but actually did). Failing to do so not only opens a manufacturer up to significant fines and potential class actions, but also the potential yanking of their license to sell warranties by an arbitrary state's DoI [Dept. of Insurance].
  • It is never wise to take what someone says about your warranty at face value... Read the warranty yourself.
    To understand why this is so vitally important:
    • The factually inaccurate myth rooting an Android phone voids the phone's warranty [it doesn't] has persisted for over a decade because people chose to parrot what others "claimed" the hardware warranty said. Every device's hardware warranty clearly states it [rooting] doesn't void the warranty (logically speaking, how could it), but rather than reading the warranty for themselves, many, if not most, chose to parrot the factually inaccurate information that was parroted to them.

Last edited:

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
1. Same price.
2. Yes, it still has to be sent to us. You can do a remote clone where you purchase a new ECU which is cloned to your current ECU, and then you don't have any down time.
@Hondata I am interested in the option of buying a remote cloned ECU, can you point in the right direction as to where and how I do this? Thank you!

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@Hondata I am interested in the option of buying a remote cloned ECU, can you point in the right direction as to where and how I do this? Thank you!
I'm not Hondata, but I went through the remote clone process :)

You need to order this: https://www.hondata.com/remote-clone
And you also need to order this: https://www.hondata.com/products/flashpro/flashpro-fk8-us?filter=8

You'll get your FlashPro in the mail first. Using this and the FlashPro Manager software, you'll copy your stock ECU. This copy gets sent over the interwebs to Hondata through the Manager software. Wait a couple more days and your cloned ECU shows up in the mail. You can expect to get a phone call from Hondata making sure you understand the process and don't have any issues beforehand. Pretty slick process overall.

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, both ECUs can be switched at will. If you're asking if Honda can tell that you've swapped ECUs, then yes, there are other ways of determining the ECU has been swapped, like looking at the distance driven since the ECU was powered on.
This is true.

In my case, I had the vehicle's original OEM ecu in there and the dealer flew in a field engineer to have a closer look. The field engineer said he found a "back door code" stored in my ecu, hence knew it had been tampered with in some way (the OEM one I sent to Hondata to be cloned to an unlocked one). They weren't able to say how or what was done to it... but they knew, and kept asking me if it had been reflashed. As a result, Honda denied warranty on my failed wastegate actuator despite the dealer's efforts to get it covered. This cost me $2,000.

I love my Hondata but save your money on the whole "buy a secondary ecu so you can put your original back in when you go for service thing." That's simply not valid.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What the dealer did was not legal; according to the Moss-Magnison act they need to prove the modification cause the fault. But realistically if they deny warranty then it gets time consuming and expensive to reverse the decision.

That's why we recommend finding a dealer who accepts after market modifications and being up front with them about reflashing the ECU. We recognize that for many people this is difficult depending on the number of dealers in their area, but it has worked well for us here.

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata... I love your product. It's phenomenal. I just want my brethren here to be clear that the whole,

"OEM ecu cloned to a secondary flashable one, so that you can put the original back in for warranty service isn't valid."

In my case, the dealer (service manager) was working super hard to get my wastegate actuator motor covered under warranty. To their credit, the service manager went several rounds with Honda over the course of 10 days until ultimatly Honda decided to fly in a "field engineer" to have a look for themselves. The field engineer was with my car all of 20 minutes. He hooked up his laptop, found some "back door code" saved in the original unflashed ecu, asked me if it had been "relflashed," and he felt strongly it had been (which it hadn't) then departed. 3 days later, they (Honda not the dealer) firmly denied my warranty claim. At that time, I dropped it and paid for the repair to be made.

Love you guys and all the great things you're doing for us fk8 owners. Just saying... I could have saved a lot of money not buying a second ecu from y'all, and these guys need to know that. Also, want to add that initially your team took great care of me as a (new to all this) Hondata customer. Down the road when I circled back for help with my debocal, they got pretty cold on me, erroneously referenceing that they "warned me" against the 2 ecu system you were marketing (and that I bought from you) the year prior. On my end, I found that shocking & pretty discouraging and to this day, remains unresolved.

Still, I love what the Hondata has done for my fk8 ownership experience. It's a "must have," as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

CTRKC

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi EVO
Country flag
Mitsu was horrible about warranty work when it came to my EVO 10. Anything over $1,000 had to be approved by their Regional Manager who had to come to the dealership and do a physical inspection of the car before work was approved. Long story short, they wouldn't warranty my failed ACD Pump (know problem with those cars) due to my COBB AP. The dealer can tell if the ECU has been flashed for sure!
Sponsored