Hondata HPJ Review

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I have not seen anyone here just put 91 or 93 in and do nothing else and dyno it. But just upgrading octane fuel isnt going to net you much gain without tuning it
.... and I think it's quite possible that it will. That's the clear point of my original post, .... if you go back and re-read it.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.... and I think it's quite possible that it will. That's the clear point of my original post, .... if you go back and re-read it.
you think running 4 more octane is good for 38 lb ft of torque over stock advertised numbers with no additional tuning? Whats the logic that it will gain that much? You got a MT? Take it to a dyno and let us know. Ill eat crow if you are right sir.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
you think running 4 more octane is good for 38 lb ft of torque over stock advertised numbers with no additional tuning? Whats the logic that it will gain that much? You got a MT? Take it to a dyno and let us know. Ill eat crow if you are right sir.
From your source, the 87 Octane numbers are 181 hp/188 tq. My original post said I'm guessing 190 hp/ 200 tq on 91 octane. So the real gain here would be 200 - 188 = 12 lb ft of torque. It MIGHT be more than that, I don't know ... I'm just asking the question. The logic would be that the ECU has programming built in (right from the factory) that can take advantage of higher octane fuel. I think I can feel it when I put in 91 octane, ... specifically in when on the highway and passing in 6th gear.

I would think these guys that buy a tune and go to a dyno would want to set up a base-line with 91 octane before they get started with the tuning (i.e the control group),... So I am just asking if anybody has these baseline 91 octane numbers -- maybe they'd like to share?. Am I asking too much?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From your source, the 87 Octane numbers are 181 hp/188 tq. My original post said I'm guessing 190 hp/ 200 tq on 91 octane. So the real gain here would be 200 - 188 = 12 lb ft of torque. It MIGHT be more than that, I don't know ... I'm just asking the question. The logic would be that the ECU has programming built in (right from the factory) that can take advantage of higher octane fuel. I think I can feel it when I put in 91 octane, ... specifically in when on the highway and passing in 6th gear.

I would think these guys that buy a tune and go to a dyno would want to set up a base-line with 91 octane before they get started with the tuning (i.e the control group),... So I am just asking if anybody has these baseline 91 octane numbers -- maybe they'd like to share?. Am I asking too much?
No, you are not asking too much. I figured if someone had dyno proof of even 10 hp by just upgrading fuel and nothing else we would have a thread about it. Most of the time on things like an intake the ecu just adjusts certain tables to keep the factory map and hp in check. Figured fuel would be the same way. It may recognize the higher octane but would make other adjustments to keep the number close to factory tune. Hopefully someone smarter than me chines in

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
Anyone else chime in? That has a accord sport and can verify what im talking about? I know 2 other people that purchased a 17ex-t with a manual trans and they say the same thing i do.. Albeit only 1 is on here and the ither is a good friend..

Thanks!

Briefly drove the EX-T CVT and the Hatch Sport M/T ...

my 2 cents is that with only 1.5L (non-VTEC) of non-T power trying to get apprx 3000lbs of mass moving
in a snap, before turbo pressure kicks ain't gonna feel like a sports car and jump outta the blocks !

maybe with the extra 500cc of the 2.0L (VTEC) there is less of this "feeling"

but at WOT ... yes it's all Honda powerrrrr !!

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
No, you are not asking too much. I figured if someone had dyno proof of even 10 hp by just upgrading fuel and nothing else we would have a thread about it. Most of the time on things like an intake the ecu just adjusts certain tables to keep the factory map and hp in check. Figured fuel would be the same way. It may recognize the higher octane but would make other adjustments to keep the number close to factory tune. Hopefully someone smarter than me chines in
Actually, reading back in an older thread, the pros do give some additional information of what the "from the factory" tune is good for:

87 Octane: 190/190 (hondata)
91 Octane: almost 200/? (pro civic)

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-1-5-mt-dyno-results.6944/page-2

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually, reading back in an older thread, the pros do give some additional information of what the "from the factory" tune is good for:

87 Octane: 190/190 (hondata)
91 Octane: almost 200/? (pro civic)

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-1-5-mt-dyno-results.6944/page-2
Well I said Id eat crow if you found the dyno proof, well its close but not quite 10 so Ill say, Im surprised by this, but then when I read Hondatas responses in the other thread by slickone, it makes more sense. 5-8 hp depending on knock control is pretty good but worth the extra $ for premium? Maybe, to tell the difference though, you'd have to be getting on it more thereby burning more gas and burning more money. But really, if you are going to buy premium, might as well get the flashpro and get the full benefits right? and Im rambling again.

My other thought is, since they said there was no tuning difference between the Sport and the EX-t ECU, could the driver of a Sport drop to 87 to save money?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Oh, and by the way, the hp gain from putting in 91 octane is about 6 hp from what I've seen. This pretty much matches what Honda advertises for the difference between the Regular and Sport Hatchback models.

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
$700US = $917CAD for a couple of extra horsepower with a voided warranty? I think i'll pass. Thanks.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Using some "shade tree math" ...

If the 91 octane performance improvement IS what Honda is showing on the Sport numbers, then that equates to a 3.45% increase in HP and a 6.0% increase in torque (from the advertised non-sport). Applying those percentage increases to the 87 Octane real world dyno of 181/188 would mean:

91 Octane real world numbers of -- 187 hp/ 199 ftlb tq

(which is pretty close to my original guess)

/@dallasjhawk, yes you'd want flashpro or other custom tune to take full advantage, I think it'd be a fun toy. It would be at the top of my "Fast and Furious 9 wish list", along with better tires and suspension.

Last edited:

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
$700US = $917CAD for a couple of extra horsepower with a voided warranty? I think i'll pass. Thanks.
By all means, pass, as that is your choice, but please be accurate.
  • 25-30 (CVT) HP is a lot more than a couple of extra horsepower.
  • The Magnuson-Moss Act prohibits voiding warranty simply because a modification has been performed.
Sponsored

Last edited: