Hondata for 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual

Holy_Peanuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Turbo
Hi everyone,

Renewed my lease and just got a 2018 Civic Hatch Sport a little over a week ago. Loving the car compared to my old 2014 Civic.

My Hondata FlashPro is in the mail! I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I have a few questions for the more experienced and knowledgeable crowd before I dive into this crazy world of tuning.

How safe is it to use the base maps? I'm planning on running the +6psi map and basically leaving it on 24/7. I would only tinker with the tune if I knew exactly what I was doing (which is admittedly a ways away). When doing normal city driving I would most likely use the Econ button which should act like stock settings according to their website. Would this cause any serious wear and tear to the engine, gear box, etc?

What kind of performance increase can I expect? Most people that use the FlashPro seem to be using it on an SI or a Type-R. Ive seen the videos posted by Hondata on YouTube but I feel like theres a bit of a bias to those.

Also, this car is a lease (4 years). Would I be dumb to us a FlashPro on a leased car? Ive looked over several forums to find a definitive answer as to whether it will void any warranties and also if flashing back to stock will mask the use of the FlashPro completely. Most people seem to assume its ok to reflash to stock but has anyone had first hand experience with FlashPros and warranty service or problems with the dealership?

Finally, why doesn't Honda max out the potential of their 1.5L turbo right out of the dealership? Why rely on a tuned ECU to gain the most out of the engine? Wouldn't it help boost car sales to have more performant vehicles at the price point they are currently offering them? Imagine instead of pitching the Civic turbo as 175 horses but instead at 220. Wouldn't it garner more interest from buyers? I mean, if the engine can handle it (related to first question) than why not let people drive a better car off the lot?

Thanks in advance for any answers! I look forward to being a part of this community!
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Renewed my lease and just got a 2018 Civic Hatch Sport a little over a week ago. Loving the car compared to my old 2014 Civic.

My Hondata FlashPro is in the mail! I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I have a few questions for the more experienced and knowledgeable crowd before I dive into this crazy world of tuning.

How safe is it to use the base maps? I'm planning on running the +6psi map and basically leaving it on 24/7. I would only tinker with the tune if I knew exactly what I was doing (which is admittedly a ways away). When doing normal city driving I would most likely use the Econ button which should act like stock settings according to their website. Would this cause any serious wear and tear to the engine, gear box, etc?

What kind of performance increase can I expect? Most people that use the FlashPro seem to be using it on an SI or a Type-R. Ive seen the videos posted by Hondata on YouTube but I feel like theres a bit of a bias to those.

Also, this car is a lease (4 years). Would I be dumb to us a FlashPro on a leased car? Ive looked over several forums to find a definitive answer as to whether it will void any warranties and also if flashing back to stock will mask the use of the FlashPro completely. Most people seem to assume its ok to reflash to stock but has anyone had first hand experience with FlashPros and warranty service or problems with the dealership?

Finally, why doesn't Honda max out the potential of their 1.5L turbo right out of the dealership? Why rely on a tuned ECU to gain the most out of the engine? Wouldn't it help boost car sales to have more performant vehicles at the price point they are currently offering them? Imagine instead of pitching the Civic turbo as 175 horses but instead at 220. Wouldn't it garner more interest from buyers? I mean, if the engine can handle it (related to first question) than why not let people drive a better car off the lot?

Thanks in advance for any answers! I look forward to being a part of this community!
The reason they don't crank the boost up out of the factory is simple.
Two things, longevity and economy. It still needs to pass emissions and they need to last. Even though the tunes are pretty safe to use for every day use, you're still straining the motor more than it was built to out of the factory.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Finally, why doesn't Honda max out the potential of their 1.5L turbo right out of the dealership? Why rely on a tuned ECU to gain the most out of the engine? Wouldn't it help boost car sales to have more performant vehicles at the price point they are currently offering them?
Reliability and economy. It will cause more wear

OP
OP

Holy_Peanuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Turbo
Thank you for the insight.

Would it be foolish of me, in your educated opinions, to use the 6psi base tune on the lease in that case?

ankhaw

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Curious if you've plugged this thing in and used it yet? I'm still doing the Hondata vs Ktuner dance, so I'm curious as to your experience so far...

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
What calibration are you using? I don't see a calibration listed for the 2018 Hatch Sport 6 speed.

Are you just using the calibration listed for 2017?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase