Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
They're pretty tight lipped so far. I asked a few questions and got a vanilla, "You'll have to watch the site for more updates." Everything will come in time.
Taking a page from the modus operandi of Honda pre-TypeR release...

I mean that in a nice way :) Love what you do @Hondata
Sponsored

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
We 'should' still be able to tune the car to run full e85, we just may not be able to take all the benefits that go with the higher E and flow. At least I'm hoping this is the case - at least if we can do the flex-fuel kit on this like on the other cars, that would be awesome. Custom blending at-the-pump means 2 separate credit card transactions which is a bit annoying and the vendors here no longer stock E-85 but, instead, stock 'Flex Fuel' which is can vary from E-51 up to E-83 as I recall. I have a tester kit for it and would see less than 50% but never more than 85% once it got warmer.
You will not be able to do full E85 -- not without secondary injection. Even at E35 we have fuel pressure drops -- on an all OEM vehicle. This is a mechanical limit, nothing to do with "tuning". How much power you're going to make is going to be limited by this mechanical aspect. What the number may be will be dictated by how generous your dyno reads.

We've also seen the torque model and mapping in these Bosch ECU's. They're akin to what we're used to working with on the Ford vehicles that have been doing torque model based mapping for almost a decade now.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
You will not be able to do full E85 -- not without secondary injection. Even at E35 we have fuel pressure drops -- on an all OEM vehicle. This is a mechanical limit, nothing to do with "tuning". How much power you're going to make is going to be limited by this mechanical aspect. What the number may be will be dictated by how generous your dyno reads.

We've also seen the torque model and mapping in these Bosch ECU's. They're akin to what we're used to working with on the Ford vehicles that have been doing torque model based mapping for almost a decade now.
Got it. So you're saying there is no way to 'de-tune' the car to run straight E-85 (cut boost maybe?) so we don't hit that mechanical limit? I guess that makes sense. I don't quite know what the ECU adjusts based on fuel, and of course I don't know how the fuel composition signal gets into the stock ECU anyway...

Throttle Body injection FTW- go oldschool!!! haha.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Got it. So you're saying there is no way to 'de-tune' the car to run straight E-85 (cut boost maybe?) so we don't hit that mechanical limit? I guess that makes sense. I don't quite know what the ECU adjusts based on fuel, and of course I don't know how the fuel composition signal gets into the stock ECU anyway...

Throttle Body injection FTW- go oldschool!!! haha.
What would be the benefit of running full E-85 in your eyes over a lower blend like E35-40?

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

A little video I made with a little bit more info.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
What are you guys doing with the ECU that we ship you that allows FlashPro to work?

Last edited by a moderator:

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
What power levels do you expect to see on a tune with supporting mods? Thanks!

Can't wait to see what all the flashpro can do. This will be my first experience with Honda tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What are you guys doing with the ECU that we ship you that allows FlashPro to work?
Removing the Bosch 'tuning protection' so it can be programmed via the OBDII port.

What power levels do you expect to see on a tune with supporting mods? Thanks!
It is too early to give numbers. It also depends how far you want to push the EGTs with risk of damaging the turbo / cat and how much you want to push your fuel pump.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And also I didn't see anywhere this is carb legal in the state of California.
CARB applies to the whole US, not just California. We will release the race FlashPro first (this is essential a track car after all) and then go through the CARB process. We have got CARB certification for every FlashPro we have made and the FK8 should be possible too.

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Removing the Bosch 'tuning protection' so it can be programmed via the OBDII port.
As for the ECU's we send in so you guys can remove the "tuning protection" can they be reverted back to stock? Or are is the protection permanently removed?

Let's say I was to sell the R and turn it back to stock tune will the next owner be freely to tune it? Or would they need to resend it in to get it removed?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As for the ECU's we send in so you guys can remove the "tuning protection" can they be reverted back to stock? Or are is the protection permanently removed?

Let's say I was to sell the R and turn it back to stock tune will the next owner be freely to tune it? Or would they need to resend it in to get it removed?
Piggy back off this question...

what is your expected total price for sending in our ECU and your flashpro?
Sponsored