First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 01 C5 Corvette, 12 Audi TTRS
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to see @Hondata test the PRL intake with the same tests. I wonder how it fairs since it doesn't have a metal box and has smooth tubing from intake that's also non-metallic.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To me, the next logical step would be to run a virtual dyno on the same strip of road under similar ambient conditions. I think we all recognize that VD's aren't incredibly accurate in estimating true WHP/WTQ. But they can be useful in determining any deltas that may arise from an intake swap under typical driving conditions.

My 2 cents...

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
notice how they didn't test PRL hmmmm
Maybe they couldn't get their hands on one in time for testing? or even started testing before the PRL intake was even launched for purchase? :hmm:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe they couldn't get their hands on one in time for testing? or even started testing before the PRL intake was even launched for purchase? :hmm:
that's true, I shouldn't indicate it was done on purpose lol...it would just suck for PRL right after they released their intake to have this showing it didn't help compared to stock

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that's true, I shouldn't indicate it was done on purpose lol...it would just suck for PRL right after they released their intake to have this showing it didn't help compared to stock
Agreed.. The intake market for the FK8 has taken its toll, I seriously hope this doesn't deter R&D for intakes, but rather makes them do better in gen 2 intakes. This car has way too much potential for us to give up on it haha

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed.. The intake market for the FK8 has taken its toll, I seriously hope this doesn't deter R&D for intakes, but rather makes them do better in gen 2 intakes. This car has way too much potential for us to give up on it haha
or maybe we shouldn't bother with the intake much at all...and concentrate on areas of greater gains...I'll admit, I wasted some money on intakes lol

Glad I sold my AEM the other day

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have design that I've been working on that changes the intake to not route over the turbo and put it more towards the passenger side front fake vent. Opening that and having duct tubing of some sort and divert it towards a filter system would allow for denser cooler air and lower IATs over all. The issues would be the pulley and belt close to the inlet of the turbo housing, the room to get a decent size tube/piping towards that portion of the car, and extending the wiring and "plug-ins" of the intake that way. Biggest problem is most likely the the pulley system though. May have to account for a slight dog leg to avoid the belt.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i think most people already knew that the intake isn't necessarily for power gain but really just a noise maker. As long as it has a box, it shouldn't lose power at least.

it's also hard to mimic air flow to the intercooler and the air intakes with just a fan compared to on the road at speed.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
or maybe we shouldn't bother with the intake much at all...and concentrate on areas of greater gains...I'll admit, I wasted some money on intakes lol

Glad I sold my AEM the other day
PRL smooth tubing that replaces the rigid corrugated tube is alot better, mechanically speaking. Smooth air versus "rough" air.

Akuto

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

pcdangio

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R 2017
Country flag
@Hondata Can you post the IAT2 vs RPM plots for the other intakes? I saw you posted one for stock and one for AEM. Particularly curious about the mishimoto plot.

I've been wondering if hot air from the engine compartment is getting sucked in since the mishi's metal box doesn't have any seals at the seams for the lid. Also fairly certain the black coating on the airbox makes it soak up a ton of thermal radiation.
Sponsored