jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I know what I did may not be for everyone, but I thought I'd share my experience. I decided to go the route of a Hondata Dealer flash for $350 from King Motorsports in New Berlin, WI. I chose the +9 tune for my manual hatch. This option works well for me, because I wanted a cost effective way to increase my car's performance. The downside is I don't own a device, but I don't think that will be an issue. King Motorsports will flash my car back to stock if need be. If anyone is thinking of going the simple route of the dealer flash I think it is an option that will work well in certain instances. I won't be adding any performance parts to my car, so no need to own a device. I plan to focus on handling upgrades down the road. I've attached my dyno sheet if anyone is curious. Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Dealer Flash Dyno_Civic
Sponsored

10genjdm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC HATCBACK SPORT 1.5T
Country flag
Hello,
thats awesome! Does this void the MFG warranty?

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
I know what I did may not be for everyone, but I thought I'd share my experience. I decided to go the route of a Hondata Dealer flash for $350 from King Motorsports in New Berlin, WI. I chose the +9 tune for my manual hatch. This option works well for me, because I wanted a cost effective way to increase my car's performance. The downside is I don't own a device, but I don't think that will be an issue. King Motorsports will flash my car back to stock if need be. If anyone is thinking of going the simple route of the dealer flash I think it is an option that will work well in certain instances. I won't be adding any performance parts to my car, so no need to own a device. I plan to focus on handling upgrades down the road. I've attached my dyno sheet if anyone is curious. Dyno_Civic.jpg
I own mine, but I have a question. Do you get free updates? Say Hondata adds features to their tune, can you go back to the dealer and get a free flash? And does it cost you to go back to stock?

OP
OP
jrschultz

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I own mine, but I have a question. Do you get free updates? Say Hondata adds features to their tune, can you go back to the dealer and get a free flash? And does it cost you to go back to stock?
The owner of King Motorsports told me they would not charge me to return to stock. They also told me they would not charge me to get the tune applied again once I no longer needed the car stock. Maybe that also answers the first question. I'm sure they'd let me have the most updated tune the second go around. I'm not 100% sure though.

OP
OP
jrschultz

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello,
thats awesome! Does this void the MFG warranty?
Like any mod - you run the risk of voiding the warranty. Honda would have to prove the mod was the cause of a problem. For instance - There's no way Honda could say my Hondata tune caused a problem such as a defective seat belt.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For instance - There's no way Honda could say my Hondata tune caused a problem such as a defective seat belt.
Technically, an ECU tune could cause seat belt issues. With all the extra acceleration and g force, the seatbelt could be impacted. :yes::headbang:;)

OP
OP
jrschultz

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Technically, an ECU tune could cause seat belt issues. With all the extra acceleration and g force, the seatbelt could be impacted. :yes::headbang:;)
LOL...Good point!

10genjdm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC HATCBACK SPORT 1.5T
Country flag
Like any mod - you run the risk of voiding the warranty. Honda would have to prove the mod was the cause of a problem. For instance - There's no way Honda could say my Hondata tune caused a problem such as a defective seat belt.

Thank you! That’s what I figured!

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing wrong with a dealer flash. It's good to have options.

OP
OP
jrschultz

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: I recently had the recall done at my Honda dealership. I went back to King Motorsports to have them flash the car again with the +9 tune. Like I previously mentioned, this was at no charge. What I didn't expect was for the tune to be improved. What King does is they take the +9 map and improve upon it after testing. I could tell something was different, so I emailed King asking if I was feeling something that wasn't there. King let me know that the tune still targets the same boost, but the head tuner changed the throttle response. I'm glad I went the route I did. I fully endorse King Motorsports if any of you are in the midwest region.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I had a similar thing happen. I have mods and a tune. paint started coming off my calipers. first dealer denied claim because said I have mods which prove i race the car and over heated the brakes... Well I dont race the car and heating brakes to point pint comes off wold have cause rotor and other issues. Anyway another dealer fixed it. but yeah

How can a dealer install a product that then voids a warranty? But I dont think you have a probelm with Kingmotor sports they are sorta in the mod space arent they ?
Sponsored