First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R 2001 Honda S2000
Country flag
Is this for real?

I live in Jax, Fl. However I would not be opposed to making a drive to get a dealer approved tune. But my question is this, if something were to happen and I needed warranty work would I have to go to that specific dealership to get the work done or would I still be covered at any honda dealer?
i have been told that as long as you use hondata approved map and you dont go and custom tune it will be fine. i have a friend that is a service advisor and he is giving me all the info.but more will be known once it comes out
Sponsored

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Awesome. Please keep me updated because I need more HorsePowers lol! Especially if its going to be covered under Honda Warranty

I am very interested in this.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok. So I actually have an update on this.

I called First Texas Honda and it is true. they are offering Stage 1 and Stage 2 reflashes for the 2017-2018 CTR. Supposed to add roughly 40whp and 52wtq by increasing boost pressure. And this does in fact retain factory Honda warranty. Problem is that they are the ONLY Honda dealership in the US currently participating in this program/agreement they have between Honda and Hondata.

So after I spoke with them I called and talked to Hondata. They told me that they offer Dealer Tunes using the FlashPro.

But then he continues and tells me that they are now offering for us to send in our stock ecu and will then do a clone of the stock ecu and will jail break a second ecu. So you can keep and retain your factory warranty by simply re-installing the original ecu if you have to go to the dealer for any reason.

This new setup to clone your stock ecu, get a jail broken ecu clone and the Flashpro to tune the type r will cost $1600.00 which is going live on March 30th.

I thought that this was actually a decent option because the reflash at First Texas Honda will cost $800.00 for stage 2 which is also going live March 30th.

So in short I will personally be saving up for $1600 to do it Hondata's way.

Just thought I would share the info I found out today!

Last edited:

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
^^^ Thank you so much for doing this homework! I have Hondata’s cloned, jailbroken ECU + unmodified stock ECU, now I just need a week off to drive out there for moar boost and BBQ!

OP
OP
Jrchris1

Jrchris1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok. So I actually have an update on this.

I called First Texas Honda and it is true. they are offering Stage 1 and Stage 2 reflashes for the 2017-2018 CTR. Supposed to add roughly 40whp and 52wtq by increasing boost pressure. And this does in fact retain factory Honda warranty. Problem is that they are the ONLY Honda dealership in the US currently participating in this program/agreement they have between Honda and Hondata.

So after I spoke with them I called and talked to Hondata. They told me that they offer Dealer Tunes using the FlashPro.

But then he continues and tells me that they are now offering for us to send in our stock ecu and will then do a clone of the stock ecu and will jail break a second ecu. So you can keep and retain your factory warranty by simply re-installing the original ecu if you have to go to the dealer for any reason.

This new setup to clone your stock ecu, get a jail broken ecu clone and the Flashpro to tune the type r will cost $1600.00 which is going live on March 30th.

I thought that this was actually a decent option because the reflash at First Texas Honda will cost $800.00 for stage 2 which is also going live March 30th.

So in short I will personally be saving up for $1600 to do it Hondata's way.

Just thought I would share the info I found out today!
who told u this?? i know a guy he is a service advisor there and he told me they have not released any info like that cause they have not been told that info?? he wants to know who u spoke with that is making these claims?

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Service don't know anything.

You have to speak to Caesar in parts dept. He has the pricing and all the details at First Texas Honda. He and the GM met with the Hondata CEO and a Honda rep. They are the ones that set everything up.

OP
OP
Jrchris1

Jrchris1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Service don't know anything.

You have to speak to Caesar in parts dept. He has the pricing and all the details at First Texas Honda. He and the GM met with the Hondata CEO and a Honda rep. They are the ones that set everything up.
just ordered it right now

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I was just trying to order up a hondata, but it’s not allowing me to add the jailbreak to my cart. But on the other hand 400 lbs of torque with the stage 2 omg !!! :confused1:

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I don't know a lot about how an ECU is read, but if I clone mine, and say take out the original ECU on 4/1 and put it back in the car to go to the dealer on 5/1, there is no way for the original ECU to show timestamps that it was not in use/in the car for that period of time?

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know a lot about how an ECU is read, but if I clone mine, and say take out the original ECU on 4/1 and put it back in the car to go to the dealer on 5/1, there is no way for the original ECU to show timestamps that it was not in use/in the car for that period of time?
Its a collectable. I don't want to drive it all the time...

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am calling BS on this dealer "partnership between Honda and Hondata". Sounds to me like they are just prepared to lie on your behalf and re-install a factory ECU haha. Could be wrong but I would get something in writing.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You can call it whatever you want. Its true. Call them for yourself.
I think everyone believes you and what the dealer told you. It's the behind the scenes stuff that is open to speculation.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure what the debate is, but we do sell to Honda dealers. Some Honda dealers promote our reflash for the 1.5 turbo engine on new vehicles. Much depends on how the individual Honda dealer views aftermarket accessories (including reflashes) but some are fully behind our products. If you have any specific question we can clear up I'd be happy to help.
Sponsored