Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So I've been doing a bit of research and have decided on going with flashpro for my type R. I know that it is best to actually get a custom tune for the car, but have any of you been using the base maps for extended periods of time and several thousand miles?

I don't have any good tuner shops around me so I would likely be using the hondata base maps for a long time. My plan is to first install the PRL high flow intake and then get Hondata. With the instant jail break now available I don't need to worry about sending in my ECU.

I am also planning on the PRL intercooler which may come before the flashpro. Any issues I should be concerned about with a the new intake and intercooler running a base 93 map? I will be doing data logging but I have a lot to learn and likely wouldn't pick up on issues right away from the data logs. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think the base maps are conservative enough to not cause long term problems but definitely nothing you should be racing on. It also won't bring out the full potential due to where you live and things like that. I think it should be fine but a custom tune would be necessary for better results. Etuning would be a good option if you don't have any trusted tuners around.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd guess that most people are running basemaps. We spend a lot of time on the dyno to develop them.

Any time you swap the intake be careful to align the tubes / hoses correctly and look for any possible leaks. The PRL does not alter the AFM reading but should be good to go with any calibration.

If you're worried about long term reliability then take care not to misshift, don't hold the engine on the rev limiter and don't use anti-lag if you have not built the engine.

OP
OP

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I'd guess that most people are running basemaps. We spend a lot of time on the dyno to develop them.

Any time you swap the intake be careful to align the tubes / hoses correctly and look for any possible leaks. The PRL does not alter the AFM reading but should be good to go with any calibration.

If you're worried about long term reliability then take care not to misshift, don't hold the engine on the rev limiter and don't use anti-lag if you have not built the engine.
Thanks for the info. I don't track the car just a good amount of spirited driving, but even then I rarely hit redline as there is a good amount of mid range torque. I shift pretty carefully and have 93 octane here so hoping no issues with running the base map over time. I'm a little wary of the prl intake installation but will just take my time with it. The prl intercooler is also not supposed to require any sort of tune so I'm hoping it all meshes together well.

OP
OP

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
My other question is if it's safer for the motor to use the '91 octane tune Even if I'm always filling it with 93?

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do not think there is any advantage using a lower octane calibration. In theory the higher octane calibration would generate less heat if the ignition is advanced a little but I doubt it amounts to much. If you're worried about knock do a 3rd gear pull and look at the datalog for knock retard. A couple of degrees on a couple of cylinders for a couple of seconds is ok but more than that would be an indication to use a lower octane calibration or find a different gas station.

I'll expand my post from yesterday and add another suggestion - try to keep your intake temperatures are low. ie use the stock or a cold air intake.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Little older thread but I plan on doing this too once spring hits and the car is out of storage. I snagged a flashpro and will be using the basemap while I slowly accumulate bolt-ons over time.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Little older thread but I plan on doing this too once spring hits and the car is out of storage. I snagged a flashpro and will be using the basemap while I slowly accumulate bolt-ons over time.
same here. Just waiting to pay off wheels. Then flash pro and bolt ons. Let the games begin :D

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I think the base maps are conservative enough to not cause long term problems but definitely nothing you should be racing on.
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Why would you not want to race on base maps? I have been looking into Hondata and getting a few bolt ons and I do not have a lot of knowledge about tuning. My first Trackcross event is in a little over a month. I want to start there and end up doing longer track events.

I am hoping to do more research about tuning and how it impacts reliability. I daily drive my car but would like to track it 3 or 4 times a year.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Why would you not want to race on base maps? I have been looking into Hondata and getting a few bolt ons and I do not have a lot of knowledge about tuning. My first Trackcross event is in a little over a month. I want to start there and end up doing longer track events.

I am hoping to do more research about tuning and how it impacts reliability. I daily drive my car but would like to track it 3 or 4 times a year.
I guess you can but it wont bring out the full potential of the car. If youre talking about being a weekend warrior and street racing, it's more than fine. The maps are kinda one size fits most so youre not getting the full potential out of it. Elevation, weather, humidity and all type of things factor in. Hondata does a lot of research but they make the maps in california at sea level and they make sure your engine wont blow up. Custom tuning is a bit more aggressive with timing and a bunch of stuff so you're risking a bit more.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I guess you can but it wont bring out the full potential of the car. If youre talking about being a weekend warrior and street racing, it's more than fine. The maps are kinda one size fits most so youre not getting the full potential out of it. Elevation, weather, humidity and all type of things factor in. Hondata does a lot of research but they make the maps in california at sea level and they make sure your engine wont blow up. Custom tuning is a bit more aggressive with timing and a bunch of stuff so you're risking a bit more.
I’m following now. Since my goal is to daily this car with the occasional track day, I can probably get by with some base maps. I’m not trying to shred any records or anything, just have the occasional fun track day here and there. Not looking to push the capabilities to the limit

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could the same be true for the KTuner base tunes? I wanted to swap to Hondata but since I already own a KTuner it would be a LOT cheaper to stay with the Ktuner versus selling it and buying a Hondata.
Sponsored