Honda's $400 Oil Change

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Hey guys, so i took my car in to the honda dealership for the regular oil change since i have free oil changes.. WELL had! I completely forgot it was only for the first 12k miles on the car and then after that i had to pay. So i went in and the service guy came at me with this..

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda's $400 Oil Change hondaLOL

He told me they would waive the oil change if i went with the full maintenance. One of the problems is that i now have the PRL CAI installed on the car and i don't want them to notice... so my question is, is this "Cabin filter" necessary? It seems like they have done it every time i went in for an oil change before...

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Sponsored

Erick.FK8

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
suplifestylemovement.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, so i took my car in to the honda dealership for the regular oil change since i have free oil changes.. WELL had! I completely forgot it was only for the first 12k miles on the car and then after that i had to pay. So i went in and the service guy came at me with this..

hondaLOL.jpg

He told me they would waive the oil change if i went with the full maintenance. One of the problems is that i now have the PRL CAI installed on the car and i don't want them to notice... so my question is, is this "Cabin filter" necessary? It seems like they have done it every time i went in for an oil change before...

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
If you have the CAI, then yes you do not need the engine air filter. Just make sure the cone is not all dirty/dusty/grimy.
Cabin filter is in your glove compartment. Easy to replace yourself. Just buy the part. It provides clean air when your air conditioner is on. Just like in your home.
Tire rotation is free at America’s Tire or Discount Tires. It’s a popular chain across the US. Tire alignment can also be check during the tire rotation but a fee. But for alignment, if your car drifts to a certain side when driving straight, then maybe have it checked. Otherwise, this can wait for another maintenance check on another day.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Way to expensive:
First: you don't need a wheel alignment at 12K miles, (unless you it a pot hole or something).
Engine Air filter: You can check it (it cost around $20 CDN)
Cabin Air filter: I clean mine with my Shopvac, very easy to do. It should be good for about 3 years, maybe more.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those prices are exorbitant, just don't pay that. Please.

At 24k and just over a year in ownership I replaced my filters, they were both dirty. Pop over to RockAuto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...rbocharged,3359014,fuel+&+air,air+filter,6192) (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...heat+&+air+conditioning,cabin+air+filter,6832) and buy the filters for $8 each, takes 5 minutes of your time to replace them.

If that's synthetic, pricing is fine. Synth blend, yikes.

If your car's drifting and actually *feels* like it needs an alignment, it can be done cheaper elsewhere.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stealership ripped you off. /end thread

Seriously though this is what a 30,000 service looks like... not a 15k mile service.

OP
OP

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Much appreciated everyone! I just wasnt so sure on that cabin filter but it seems to be an easy change. Thankss!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, my 15k service was just a trans fluid and oil change because I already did everything else myself. $80 and done. That price is INSANE! It literally takes 10 minutes or less to change both filters yourself on stock vehicle and they cost about $20 total. I'd take it to a wheel place for an alignment as well as a lot of times the dealer won't align your stuff properly if you have suspension mods. Basically you should have laughed in his face and left.

Cabin filter, in AZ, has to be replaced every 10k or less to keep the smell out. Vacuuming that filter may get the debris off but doesn't actually clean the filter. Don't know why you wouldn't just replace it as it's so cheap.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Its is a steal, I never go to the dealer.
No need all theses with only 12K miles or if you have too much money ; tire rotation....

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
I replaced my Cabin filter last weekend. Bought it for $21 (Fram Breeze) CF11182.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag

hondaLOL.jpg

He told me they would waive the oil change if i went with the full maintenance.

Thanks!

Lolz... "we'll waive the $55 if we can still scam $300 from you"... and lets be more accurate, its not HONDA's quote. It was "dealer X's" handwritten estimate. Alignment is a waste unless you notice the wheel pulling or unusual tire wear.

Then also realize the "book rate" vs "actual rate"... The book says it takes 1.5 hours.. but it takes the technician 20 min etc. but they bill you for the book rate, hence the DIY mentality to combat "stealership" prices.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Cabin filter is $9 on Amazon, installation takes just 3 minutes
Engine air filter is just $10 (if you don't want to get fancy) takes just 1 minute to install
Tire rotation can be done for free (if you have an extra jack) can be done in just 30 minutes or can be done with alignment for extra $20
Alignment is just $49.99 in my Good Year center... usually done in just 1 hour
total about $70-$90...

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
goodyear has a 3 year unlimited alignment thing for $150. i live in PA where its potholes everywhere so its worth it.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I've been to the dealer for various services over the years, the oil change is reasonable. My dealer charges 69.95 currently if I request full synthetic, so $55 for the syn blend 0W20 oil isn't bad. I've paid around $120-130 for 4 wheel alignment so $169 is a bit high but not crazy. Air filter and cabin air filter is an absolute rip off though - I'll do those myself, plus wiper blade inserts. They're just too easy to DIY, there's absolute NO reason to have them do it for you. Just order the parts online. I've changed these on my own for years on various Hondas.

I don't mind going in for fluid changes since they can do it a lot easier with the lifts and oil catch basins/etc, but I'll do the easy maintenance items myself. The one time I had a brake fluid exchange done, that was $170 for parts/labor (before tax), might be a bit more now but should run you under $200. And sometimes they'll send you coupons so using those can save a bit too.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
  • $82 for a cabin air filter? :spaz:I see non-replacement filters on Amazon for $16 USD and no tools needed to replace it. Like someone said above, clean every 3 months with a shop vac and it will last a while.
  • $62 for an engine air filter? :spaz: OEM part here in Canada is $16 USD and a 5 minute quick swap job if you have an 8mm hex socket.
  • $30 for tire rotation? :spaz:30 minutes with a jack stand, torque wrench, and a lift and a little bit of tire moving around.
  • Alignment? Did not need to happen so soon.
  • 4L of OEM 0W-20 oil is $30 USD here in Canada.
  • OEM oil filter is $6 USD here in Canada.
It's probably a good idea to avoid that stealership you just visited.

The Civicx community exists to help you maintain your Civic. I highly suggest investing in the basic shop tools so you can do some of this stuff at home.

There are DIY guides for most of these maintenance items.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would just get aftermarket wipers if you have to change them. I had to replace my OEM blades 3 times in 6 months because they were so crappy. I switched to Bosch and they've lasted 6+ months.
Sponsored