Honda valve caps

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
image.jpeg
just ordered these. Thought it looked cool....we shall see how it looks!
Metal or plastic? Be careful with metal caps, as they commonly rust right onto the valve stem and then the whole thing needs to be replaced.

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP
Metal or plastic? Be careful with metal caps, as they commonly rust right onto the valve stem and then the whole thing needs to be replaced.
Would stainless steel make a difference or are all metal valve caps not a good option?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Stainless steal may be better, but "stainless" can vary in quality by quite a bit, from "stainless for years" to "Rusts horribly, but it does it one day later than the cheap stuff."

They look plastic in the picture, but I can't tell for sure. If they are metal, it may be helpful to dip them in penetrol, which does a nice job at inhibiting rust. http://www.amazon.com/Flood-00410-Penetrol-Oil-Based-Conditioner/dp/B001CSKEAU

Also, Johnson's paste wax may help, too. Put some in with a q-tip before you screw them on. http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Fine-Wood-Paste-00203/dp/B0000DIWIM/

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stainless steal may be better, but "stainless" can vary in quality by quite a bit, from "stainless for years" to "Rusts horribly, but it does it one day later than the cheap stuff."

They look plastic in the picture, but I can't tell for sure. If they are metal, it may be helpful to dip them in penetrol, which does a nice job at inhibiting rust. http://www.amazon.com/Flood-00410-Penetrol-Oil-Based-Conditioner/dp/B001CSKEAU

Also, Johnson's paste wax may help, too. Put some in with a q-tip before you screw them on. http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Fine-Wood-Paste-00203/dp/B0000DIWIM/
Hi david1pro - thanks for the great tips. The ebay ad says stainless steel - would a tiny bit of W40 an the inside of the cap do the same in terms of rust prevention/preventing sticking?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Yes, but my guess is it would not protect nearly as long. I noticed in the comments for Penetrol that it is now illegal in CA, so I don't know if you can order it as it looks like you live there. I'd imagine the paste wax would stick around longer than the WD-40 would. Penetrol, I would guess, would be best, as it would dry up in there a bit - might actually make it a bit difficult to remove the cap when needed (not impossible - and I'm just guessing it would be difficult based on past experiences with Penetrol... I use it to protect metal tools and such in my garage - great for woodworkers). If it were me, I'd use the Penetrol and Paste Wax combo (as I have both sitting in my garage). The Paste Wax will make things slick, so if you just use that, no chance of them being hard to remove, I'd say - or if you use both.

andi_sf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but my guess is it would not protect nearly as long. I noticed in the comments for Penetrol that it is now illegal in CA, so I don't know if you can order it as it looks like you live there. I'd imagine the paste wax would stick around longer than the WD-40 would. Penetrol, I would guess, would be best, as it would dry up in there a bit - might actually make it a bit difficult to remove the cap when needed (not impossible - and I'm just guessing it would be difficult based on past experiences with Penetrol... I use it to protect metal tools and such in my garage - great for woodworkers). If it were me, I'd use the Penetrol and Paste Wax combo (as I have both sitting in my garage). The Paste Wax will make things slick, so if you just use that, no chance of them being hard to remove, I'd say - or if you use both.
david1pro - thanks a zillion for the tips ;)

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have these. One logo came off the first day of use. Seller sent one replacement though.
Sponsored