Honda to offer autonomous driving by 2020. Welcome or not?

roppongi

Threads
Reaction score
What you guys think? Welcome technology or the end of making cars with enthusiasts in mind?

I wouldn't mind having the option if I'm sitting in some bad bumper to bumper traffic but I'm afraid that this starts us down the road of fully autonomous cars.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Tech-Science/Tech/Honda-aims-for-highway-capable-model-by-2020

October 21, 2015

Honda aims for highway-capable model by 2020

TOKYO -- Honda Motor plans to offer cars that can drive themselves on highways by around 2020, part of an attempt by Japanese automakers to move ahead of foreign rivals in this new high-tech field.

With Toyota Motor and Nissan Motor having announced their plans, the three largest domestic carmakers now have timelines for self-driving vehicles.

Honda this year started adopting what it calls Sensing technologies, which handle automatic braking, help avoid hitting pedestrians and perform other functions. Building on these, it will enhance the performance of cameras, radar and control systems to realize automated driving.

General Motors of the U.S., Honda's partner in development of fuel cell systems, is working to commercialize highway self-driving technologies in 2017. Honda is considering expanding the scope of cooperation to include automatic driving.

Rival Nissan aims to roll out a vehicle that can drive itself in some highway lanes next year, with local-road self-driving in sight for 2020. Toyota has said it plans to roll out a highway self-drive vehicle in 2020.

Autonomous cars are expected to reduce traffic congestion and accidents, in addition to easing the burden of long-distance driving for the elderly and others.

Suppliers are also speeding up development of related technologies such as mapping features and sensors. The market for self-driving autos may expand to as much as $60 billion by 2030, according to European consulting company Roland Berger.

Western automakers and technology giants like Google are also developing self-driving vehicles. Japanese automakers seek to lead the competition, making their offerings available by 2020, when many foreign visitors will come for the Tokyo Summer Olympics.
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Honestly, most people are too stupid for driving. I know it's like a double edged sword, but I welcome autonomous/semi-autonomous cars. Should make the roads safer. Does suck that there may be a reduction in the availability of enthusiast oriented cars.

It'll be fun driving a real car amongst all of these autonomous vehicles. As a vehicle piloted by a meat bag, you'd be able to cause all kinds of havoc on autonomous cars. Cutting them off or getting too close will cause them to take evasive actions, basically get out of your way. They won't try and race you or cut you off in retaliation. You'll have all these cars in a perfect line behaving themselves, it'll be pretty easy to see who's actually driving.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Honestly, most people are too stupid for driving. I know it's like a double edged sword, but I welcome autonomous/semi-autonomous cars. Should make the roads safer. Does suck that there may be a reduction in the availability of enthusiast oriented cars.
So true, I can't believe there aren't more serious accidents considering how bad most drivers are. Testament to how good safety measures in cars are now. I should probably complain less about cars gaining weight since a lot of it is due to increasing safety requirements. I don't mind this tech in certain cars. I know theres definitely times when I hit traffic that I wish I could just zone out and not have to deal with the stopping and going. I'm just scared of it making its way into enthusiast type cars and somehow changing the entire culture of people that actually like the sensation of driving. Hopefully there'll be a niche of cars that never get this tech because the manufacturer wants to keep the particular model a pure driver's car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So true, I can't believe there aren't more serious accidents considering how bad most drivers are. Testament to how good safety measures in cars are now. I should probably complain less about cars gaining weight since a lot of it is due to increasing safety requirements. I don't mind this tech in certain cars. I know theres definitely times when I hit traffic that I wish I could just zone out and not have to deal with the stopping and going. I'm just scared of it making its way into enthusiast type cars and somehow changing the entire culture of people that actually like the sensation of driving. Hopefully there'll be a niche of cars that never get this tech because the manufacturer wants to keep the particular model a pure driver's car.
There's some sad trends going on for enthusiasts these days....Mitsubishi has dropped the EVO in favor of focusing on crap like Mirage and half-ass SUV's, oh and some kind of electric car fantasy program they say they are going to focus on.

Nissan is starting to talk craziness about replacing the Z car with something along the line of the Juke called "Gripz" Concept....

BRZ/FR-S may get cancelled due to slow sales....

BMW has been making Camry's that look like a Beemer...

But on the bright side....Subaru is firmly committed to the WRX/STi lineup and even has a turbo Forester

Dodge, Chevy and Ford all have some serious HP going on, and Dodge and Chevy even offer high HP sedans...

The Miata is as good as ever...

Honda seems to be coming back....

Ford has some serious small car firepower going on....

VW still has a proper 3 door GTI and it looks better than ever...

Unfortunately, maybe in 20 years we will not ever see these kinds of cars again. We may be forced to rely on the used car market, where I predict that the technology being stuffed into some of these cars will be their downfall when they are older. Many will definitely have baked-in tech that is totally obsolete. Cars like the BRZ/FR-S and Miata may be coveted as they seem that they are the ones most likely to stand the test of time since they are simple cars that people will likely want to keep around.

cae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grom
Options are fine. Mandates are raise your pitchforks and torches.

I can see the good possibilities. There are too many people distracted while behind the wheel. I'd feel better with Skynet taking over for them. Insurance rates should decrease across the board due to fewer collisions. Traffic and pollution should decrease a bit.
I can see the bad possibilities. There could be harsher penalties for petty driving citations to offset all the well behaved autonomous motorists. Something like a gas guzzler tax, but for non-autonomous cars, could be implemented. Millennials already don't drive much, you could have a generation of their kids without the skills to operate a vehicle. This may not bode well for motorsports and, in turn, the industries devoted to them.

Barring some dire circumstances I prefer not to have lingering in my thoughts, we'll always have off-road vehicles and motorcycles. When sports cars are outlawed, only outlaws will have sports cars.. or something like that.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
It'll be fun driving a real car amongst all of these autonomous vehicles. As a vehicle piloted by a meat bag, you'd be able to cause all kinds of havoc on autonomous cars. Cutting them off or getting too close will cause them to take evasive actions, basically get out of your way. They won't try and race you or cut you off in retaliation. You'll have all these cars in a perfect line behaving themselves, it'll be pretty easy to see who's actually driving.
Never thought about that but true hah! You'll always be able to mess with someone in autonomous mode by purposely driving slow, but someone can also mess with you that way.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Barring some dire circumstances I prefer not to have lingering in my thoughts, we'll always have off-road vehicles and motorcycles. When sports cars are outlawed, only outlaws will have sports cars.. or something like that.

Well I dunno about that. Don't bet that the liberal-progressive bureaucracy won't kill that when they feel they need something else to regulate. 2 strokes are already not allowed in some places. Where I live government affiliated conservation groups are buying up private land, locking it and banning ORV activities. Soon they'll require catalytic converter on ORV.
Funny thing is that these groups do this under the pretense of conserving the environment. Then a forest fire burns the land. And we get earthquakes and volcanoes here that change everything. I hate the greenies

Max Robart

Threads
Reaction score
Website
autoportal.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Vehicle Showcase
I think so Honda sees 2020 as the year in which their all-new Cooperative Autonomous Driving technologies will be fully operational

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
I'm just going to leave this here...

Howelldaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Civic coupe,99 Cougar, 89 Mustang LX 5.0, 70'Cuda, 06 Mustang Pony convert, 17 CivicTouring coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not interested.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Guess that's where the world's been going in all areas -- making life "easier" and "more comfortable".

I know some people who absolutely LOVE this idea; most I know (including myself) -- don't.

Here's to hope this crap won't become mandatory in my lifetime (which is another 20-30 years -- if all goes well :D)

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would be perfectly ok with all cars being mandatory autonomous on express ways. There are far fewer variables to account for on the express way, and all variables could be accounted for if every car was autonomous on the same system.

Autonomous will only work when variables can be accounted for. People are too unpredictable for individually functioning autonomous to ever work. There needs to be a system that takes over that controls every vehicle on that part of the road. Like the expressway system on iRobot :p

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I'm OK with it, but would be "OK-er" if every car had it, as Snoopysir says. When I drive I'm always looking to see what stupid moves the driver(s) ahead can do to ruin my day. Examples: (1) the usually elderly, Sunday driver who things that to make a 90-degree right turn, you need to first swing the car left, so the back end of the car will make it round the corner. (2) The car waiting on the side street to enter the main flow -- you are the last car in a series, with nobody behind you, but the driver simply has to cut in, making you brake, instead of waiting 0.5 sec til you pass. :nono:

Even without autonomous cars, lanes and shoulders markings and lane arrows need to be well-maintained. Not sure how lanekeep will work reliably if it cuts out now when the markings are poor. Are manufacturers counting on new, built-in features on all roads?
Sponsored

Last edited: