jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
If I’m investing in cars, I’ll buy a 1970 Roadrunner or maybe a 1969 GTO, otherwise I advise people to buy AMZN
Exactly. Cars are never a good investment. If you want something to invest in play the market
Sponsored

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
In Australia, other than Type R made in UK, NSX made in US and only Odyessy made in Japan.

The rest of the models CRV, HRV, Accord, Jazz, City, Civic Sedan/Hatch are all made in Thailand. They could always move Type R production to US since it’s the biggest market in the world, rest stay as it is in Thailand.

Moving the Type R back to Japan production will either mean the car will cost more to build and sell, which I don’t think they would want to do. Otherwise is to use cheaper materials in the Type R to cut down the production cost to not increase the sell price. Just my though, I could be wrong ;)

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
They’re closing in 2022 so that’s 4 more years of CTR production, I wouldn’t retire just yet on all the money you’re gonna make on your $40k Civic
You keep flapping your gums on this so I'll just break it down for you. Nobody has said "investment" besides your dumb ass. The goal is to pay less for transportion, not make money on transportation. If my daily driver only costs a few K in depreciation to drive over 5 years because it has crazy good resale, then that potentially is cheaper than running your Si for that same time period. This is usually the opposite of how buying a more expensive car works - usually it's more depreciation than a cheaper car, so the Type R bucking that trend is notable. I know you think you're being some kind of smartie, but really you're just showing your ass because you probably couldn't swing a Type R.

You can look at Evo values for reference and those were made by an essentially defunct company. Shit, even STi values and those have been produced forever and a day now. Articles state production will start being affected in 2021 - I would anticipate only 3 more years of production at the facility, including 2019.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
They’re closing in 2022 so that’s 4 more years of CTR production, I wouldn’t retire just yet on all the money you’re gonna make on your $40k Civic
Well it’s official. They don’t go into the month to month scheduling, which I’d have to question suppliers for. The next signal would be if orders have been diverted to other plants in anticipation for walk out protests and if there is a production count write off.

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/cars/med...s-global-automobile-manufacturing-restructure

Some initial conversation I’ve had are pointing to a Japan based type-R. Which I can see being delayed as new suppliers have to be found. So they should rethink that. At which point I think a US based one would be beneficial. Would help Acura’s case as they want a NSX-R... (which I think is dumb).

I still think the bean counters are looking for changes in form factor to make more money per car. Hope they don’t change the hatchback.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering the engine for the Type R is built at the Marysville plant in Ohio, it would make logistical sense (at least to me) to move hatchback/R assembly to the Marysville or East Liberty plant after Swindon closes. The Accord 2.0L (Marysville) and Acura RDX (East Liberty) both use the same engine as the CTR, so it would consolidate that supply chain.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
It is interesting that Honda specifically called out a focus on electric cars as a reason to consolidate the supply/manufacturing operations. I am curious what that means for high performance models like the CTR beyond 2021.

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
"19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes."

Interesting...I'm guessing the new performance civic will be some type of hybrid...possibly. I know the new all electric cvcc prototype is in the works. I thought it was for euro markets though ?

Intersting stuff going on. I don't think it's all related to brexit though, i think multiple factors are at work. Including the ever changing auto market and trying to meet consumers needs/wants. Fickle market is fickle...

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Similar situation with the Fit, Honda will retool the Fit/Jazz in 2020. They pulled production out of Mexico, allegedly because of quality issues (including cars full of sand from sitting in lots awaiting shipment) parts that "diverted " to wherever and other issues and moved, at least production of cars for the US market, to Japan. My dealer has had virtually no fits (other than a few LX's) since late fall, new ones from Japan are just now starting to arrive, but dealer isn't taking deposits unless they get a VIN allocated to them. My wife has been waiting to look a Fit EX-L since December, she's seen the pictures of the 2020 and prefers the current one.
No Fits because Mexican factory flooded. No Fits nor HRV's for last 4 months of 2018. Finally resolved and Mexican Hondas are trickling in again. Limited Mexican production of Fits is due to huge demand for HRV's, not quality control.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
No Fits because Mexican factory flooded. No Fits nor HRV's for last 4 months of 2018. Finally resolved and Mexican Hondas are trickling in again. Limited Mexican production of Fits is due to huge demand for HRV's, not quality control.
Thanks for the info, dealer told me they had switched production to Japan, guess they were misinformed. Several Fit LX's on the lot had made in Japan on their window stickers, was kinda hoping for a Japan-built EX-L for my wife.

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Currently GK5 Fit RS - Past, 98 ITR, 99 SiR Accord, 85 Civic, 79 Civic, 84 Mirage, 62 Fairlane. 80 Laser
Country flag
Japanese made CTR would be nice. Lets hope they keep building it through the next generation! Shame for the UK, but thats what xenophobia, fear and nonsense politics will get you in the end.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I don't know why, but this news is having an effect on me from possibly upgrading my full front PPF to possibly full coverage haha. Either this news or the 2 rock chips I found.