Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm thinking the next gen ILX might actually get more power than the Si and be DCT only. That would put it more between the Si and Type R for performance, leave plenty of improvement room for the TLX and prevent the ILX from stepping on the Type R toes since it'll have the manual transmission. It would also thrust the ILX closer to class leading for the small lux car segment.

As for platform, most of honda's new models will share this platform. Civic, Accord, ILX, TLX, CRZ, CRV, MDX, etc. We could even see the Fit and HRV move to this new platform once they're up for redesigns.
Interesting... but I do think they will keep the exact same motor. Likely the differences will be in the sheet metal, suspension tuning, and interior appointments.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting... but I do think they will keep the exact same motor. Likely the differences will be in the sheet metal, suspension tuning, and interior appointments.
I agree the ILX will probably get the same motor as the Si but to a different tune that bumps up the power to differentiate it more and also to push I over its main competitors which hover in the 200hp range for their base models but offer more on higher trims, assuming they're going to stick with only 1 version of the ILX in terms of engine/power again. Though I'm sure many people would like to see a high end type s come back to Acura with output like the type r

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
I love that they took the coupe so seriously in the design of the chassis. Its not like they just chopped two doors off, like a lot of car companies have done in the past. And as a result the coupe performance should be more nimbler then the sedan. Put the Si on the coupe and that car is going to out perform more expensive competition by a mile! Drove the sedan EX can not wait to try the turbo coupe and more importantly if built to my liking the SI coupe!
Really does sound like they took the younger and more sport-drive focused demographic of coupe buyers into account when making the coupe. Sportier suspension, lower height, shorter body, lighter... all by design.

I'm ok if the Si comes in just coupe and sedan models. That's what we've had here for years. Getting a Type R hatchback is already a bonus in addition to what we've had available.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
So, for SURE the Si is going to be available in coupe and sedan, especially since I only selected "Civic Si" info from the sign up form and the auto response was split for a sedan and coupe! And I would bet money the Type R is only available in 5 door.

What do you guys think? I think it is damn certain info
I agree with your interpretation. Honda has been careful with its wording. In every press release they keep saying "high performance Si models" and the first ever Type R model for the U.S. market... as in singular. To me that leaves open only one possibility for a different CTR model, which would be a non-hatch being offered outside the US. I doubt it for such a niche vehicle tho.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
I agree with your interpretation. Honda has been careful with its wording. In every press release they keep saying "high performance Si models" and the first ever Type R model for the U.S. market... as in singular. To me that leaves open only one possibility for a different CTR model, which would be a non-hatch being offered outside the US. I doubt it for such a niche vehicle tho.
Not to get off-topic for this thread, but isn't North America only catching up to the rest of the world in terms of hatchback popularity? If any market were to be offered a CTR that isn't a hatch, wouldn't it be in North America?

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Not to get off-topic for this thread, but isn't North America only catching up to the rest of the world in terms of hatchback popularity? If any market were to be offered a CTR that isn't a hatch, wouldn't it be in North America?
Thing is, the CTR is a niche low production model. Breaking it out into even more models like the coupe and sedan might not make business sense for Honda due to the increased costs of doing so vs. the small bump in CTR units sold overall. I'd love to see it personally but these are public companies who have to have business justifications for their decisions.

koya76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSX
I just confirmed your speculation. On the Honda website: http://automobiles.honda.com/10th-gen-civic/ There's a place to sign up for more CivicX info. If you go to the link it will be easier to follow what I'm saying. I selected more info for "Civic Si", "Civic 5 Door" and "Civic Type R" and received an automated email response from Honda:

Thanks for signing up.

Keep an eye on your inbox. We'll soon deliver more of what interests you about
Honda, including the latest news, events, site features, vehicle updates and
launch information.

• Your current e-mail subscriptions:
    Civic 5-Door
    Civic Si Coupe
    Civic Si Sedan
    Civic Type R

So, for SURE the Si is going to be available in coupe and sedan, especially since I only selected "Civic Si" info from the sign up form and the auto response was split for a sedan and coupe! And I would bet money the Type R is only available in 5 door.

What do you guys think? I think it is damn certain info

:( Would be so interested by Si hatch. Best choice for me. Really hope they end up producing it.

fitftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CBR300R
Count me in for the 4-door Si.
Sponsored